Onboard exercise??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterford

Vessel Name
Waterford
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
We are looking for a good way to get aerobic exercise without the space needed for a stationary bike. Amazon shows several smallish steppers and peddlers that don’t take up much space. Many look cheap and flimsy but others look like they may be stout enough to actually work. Anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations?

When ashore, we walk and hike so the problem we are trying to solve is mostly to get moving while we are underway or anchored in foul weather.

Thanks!

1) Skijoring dog harness, human sized.
2) 50' line affixed to harness and Sampson post.
3) Swimsuit (optional)
4) Dive in and tow boat.

Transit rough waters. Maintaining one's balance is a good form of exercise.

We have a classic Nordic Track that folds up rather small and can be leaned up in a corner on end or in-between cabinets etc. (with help from a bungee cord or similar, on a vessel.) Great exercise. IMG_4529.jpg

Last edited:
Why not use the steps that are built into the boat? Doing it quickly enough up and down should get you close to your target. The downside is you don’t get to spend money on something that won’t see much use and you won’t have the fun of struggling to find a place to stow another piece of equipment.

Combine with push-ups, sit-ups and some strength/toning with jugs of lube oil, you could be looking at a real workout.

Paddle. Anything. The great thing about rowing an inflatable is they are brutally inefficient so a workout happens faster.

Since you specifically said aerobic, not strength training maybe get off the boat and go for a run? Or a walk if you aren't up to running?

Judging by your boat and that you are on the TF, you aren't going to be spending weeks at sea with no land access. Short of overgrown, uninhabited islands you can find a place to run anywhere, plus it's free. It's also a great way to explore a new to you area.

Doug,
For me, the body part that gets the most exercise while on board at anchor is the right wrist! :) That forearm is getting massive. :)
Seriously, we tried one of those small peddle device and found it very lacking. I have resorted to the squats, pushups, etc. with very little aerobic.
If you find something worthwhile, let us all know.

Doug, we have a stepper you're welcome to have. Previous owners left it on the boat and we just find it too boring.

As a suggestion, search internet or YouTube for “TRX straps aerobic exercise”. They seem to have options that might be possible. I have some - a cheaper version - and they don’t take up much space.

Wax on. Wax off. Repeat.
Scrub decks on hands and knees.
Scrub & wax fenders.
Jump in and scrub waterline while treading water only with your feet.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I looked at TRX and YouTube videos but I don’t think there’s space onboard for the exercises. The feedback all seems to be that the smaller pedal and stepper units are not very good, as I suspected.

-Doug

If you already have bikes onboard, a trainer is pretty small. Also despite my initial misgivings about yoga, it has greatly improved my quality of life and can be fairly aerobic too.

I tried one of these....the slightest motion of the boat sitting on a tall bicycle tipped me over. I had it for a bout a year and tried several times...riding a bull at a bar was easier.

Others may have steadier boats, or one might try leg extensions....good luck!

Attachments

• 61lKT3tWNlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    61lKT3tWNlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 17
I am able to do a "whimp" version of this in my salon or on the bow deck.

https://youtu.be/7KSNmziMqog

I am only able to do 15-20 seconds of each instead of the 45 seconds in the video, but I'm working on it!

Distance swimming year round (3 mm wetsuit in the winter), paddling, and walking. 12 oz curls in the evening.

Yeah, kind of sucks having to look at that.........and then glancing downward :facepalm:

First time I climbed a tall ladder my dad said "just don't look down." That sage advice sticks with me.

It depends on your current level of fitness. What's aerobic for George Constanza is not going to do much for Lance Armstrong. By alternating excercise from hard ( push ups, burpees, sit ups ) to easy ( marching in place ) you can create a routine that will keep your heart rate in the desired range. For example:

2 minutes march in place
2 minutes Step up/Step down ( be sure to alternate legs)
50 Jumping Jacks
10 Push ups
2 minutes march
10 lunges
10 Squats ( with a kettlebell if you have one or small 2-5 pound dumbells in outstretched arms )
25 Jumping Jacks.

That would take about 10-12 minutes, then you repeat, or add more segments. A heart rate monitor is very helpful.

The other thing that's surprisingly aerobic is jumping rope if you have the room.

I lost 40 lbs when on my last cruise. It was a whole summer.

You may be trying to find an answer to a question that doesn't exist.

Exercise on board.

We are looking for a good way to get aerobic exercise without the space needed for a stationary bike. Amazon shows several smallish steppers and peddlers that don’t take up much space. Many look cheap and flimsy but others look like they may be stout enough to actually work. Anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations?

When ashore, we walk and hike so the problem we are trying to solve is mostly to get moving while we are underway or anchored in foul weather.

Thanks!
I have an app on my phone: 7 mimute workout free from J&J Combines strength with constant movement. 7 minutes of lungs and body strength.

Re: Onboard Exercise

I can’t say enough good about the Leslie Sansone Walk-at-Home videos on YouTube. They can be done in a very small space and are quite the workout! I do have one of those steppers - mine is the Gold’s Gym model - but it doesn’t have near the benefit of the videos. If you want to have them offline there’s DVDs you can buy. Here’s one of them:

Almost any boat will have enough space for you to get aerobic or anaerobic workouts using just your own body weight. Watching many other family members buy equipment for workouts is heartbreaking. They never seem to realize the equipment is not a magic pill. All the motivation is self-motivation. If you don't have it, nothing you buy will make it happen. It will just make you feel guilty watching stuff collect dust and take up space. If you are looking for equipment for a specific exercise and you are not already a habitual exerciser (without equipment), you are just wasting time, money, and space on your boat when you drag aboard the latest stuff to get you buff.

Place the boat in gear at an idle.
Then push your partner over the side and maintain a speed just fast enough he/she can't quite catch the boat.
Continue 1 hour, then stop.
Make sure your partner is not still pissed when he/she does the same to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom