Best Digital multi-meter for boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hey Guys...Both my electrical bags are crowded with triples or quads of poor quality testers decisions. I’m kinda worn out from keeping alive these barely passable multi-meters that may be OK in the house but not so useful for some things specific to the boat. If one was to buy a good meter for his or her vessel, what would you choose out of the plethora of quality market options.

Attachments

• BE71860B-0694-4F75-8B21-F757F50CF03B.jpg
    BE71860B-0694-4F75-8B21-F757F50CF03B.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 60
Fluke 77. Been a standard in the military for years and are balls-on dependable.

Klein makes a few nice ones too. I have a 6 or so year old one, ran about $130 at Home Depot.

Similar (but updated) models there, Amazon, etc..

Pros have responded that Klien is a pro grade tester too along with Fluke...except maybe for the higher end ones or ones you need for specialty work.

When in doubt .....compare specs and then see if you really need more or less.

Last edited:
I paid up and got a NewMar ESA, which if you do a search is a rebranded something else (I forget, an Extec (?) maybe). It has served me well with a lot of use and abuse for 13 years now. It is a nice size for boat work, and does both AC and DC. Really has taken a beating from a clumsy owner. I got mine from Puget Sound Instruments. Great piece of kit.

https://www.poweringthenetwork.com/digital-instruments/

Last edited:
Fluke Brands for a good meter.

The reason that I recommend the Blue Sea meter is that it is a clamp meter with reasonable ranges as well as a digital multimeter, again with reasonable specs. Many times I have been trying to help a client troubleshoot a problem remotely and asked them what is the current indicated. They don't have a clamp meter so troubleshooting just got lots harder.

A further note: As a pro, I have a couple of thousand dollars tied up in meters and instruments; Fluke 289, Fluke 322, Yokogawa 30031A, Extech, etc., etc. I use them all for specific purposes. The meter that is in my tool bag is a Fluke T Plus Pro https://tinyurl.com/yb9v99sa. It is my "go to" meter that gets used on almost every job I work on. BTW, it does not measure current.

The only time i ever needed a better than el cheapo digital meter was when I needed to measure frequency because I could not access the rotating parts of the generator to use the photo tachometer.
I have never had to measure current in decades of boating.

@healhustler
The best value for the dollar that I have found is the Blue Sea clamp meter. Available on line for about $150. https://www.bluesea.com/products/8110/Mini_Clamp_Multimeter_-_AC_DC

I like this Extec better. The reason is the clamp is smaller as is the meter, and it fits in more tight places.

This Extech is cheaper than the Blueseas, don't own one, but might be a budget alternative.

If you own one of these clamp ammeters and learn to use it, you will find it spectacularly useful on any boat with a DC system. None of them, even the Fluke 325, are a wonderfully convenient general purpose multimeter as they are too small - though they do work. If I had only one I'd take the Extech 38041.

I am not going to mention a brand. I am going to mention an accuracy level. Due to the new dock electrical requirements you need a meter that can measure to .0001 with accuracy.

I have a fluke in my electrical bag but the bag isn't always on the boat so I keep a Harbor Freight throw away on board for the occasional need. If i'm rewiring or installing something the bag is with me.

I like this Extec better. The reason is the clamp is smaller as is the meter, and it fits in more tight places.

This Extech is cheaper than the Blueseas, don't own one, but might be a budget alternative.

If you own one of these clamp ammeters and learn to use it, you will find it spectacularly useful on any boat with a DC system. None of them, even the Fluke 325, are a wonderfully convenient general purpose multimeter as they are too small - though they do work. If I had only one I'd take the Extech 38041.

Yes, thanks, that first one is the Extech I was thinking of that NewMar re-branded. Great rugged piece of gear.

I was kind of surprised to see someone say they never had occasion to measure current. That was a regular thing for me in any number of applications. Interesting.

I have a Fluke 75 in my bag since the mid 80s plus a cheap DC clamp-on stored onboard for special occasions. When you ask “best”, Fluke is the best in quality.

I am not going to mention a brand. I am going to mention an accuracy level. Due to the new dock electrical requirements you need a meter that can measure to .0001 with accuracy.
.0001 what? Ohm, amp, volt?
Most digital meters if not all will be able to measure 1/10 of milliamp or millivolt.
I have a digital Fluke that is more than 30 years old, was used by my father at work who gave it to me 5 years ago. I also own a digital one made by a well know hardware store that cost less than 50$ as well as an analogical one (you know the kind with a needle instead of numbers lol). The low end from hardware store is doing the job as much as the fluke one, however it is less rugged and I don't expect to have it in 30 years (but who knows), also its accuracy % is lower than the Fluke one but enough for average users like most of us.
Fluke is without any doubt the best brand and of very high quality but with a price tag not necessarily required for everyone.

L

The best Multimeter is a clamp on meter with leads (standard measurements) and to be able to measure as low as 1mA.
i will let you select the brand as I do not know your price range.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Without a doubt Fluke has the best reputation and a price to match.

A better question might be what features are desirable? Here are a few I find handy on the boat:
1 -Back lighted Display. 2. Third hand case (holds a probe on the case) 3 Sample and hold mode.4 Long leads with strong clamps -- not just pointed probes. 4 - Four digit display (occasionally 5 Clip on amp meter 6 Loud continuity audio. 7 adjustable auto shutdown timer, 8 Common or rechargeable batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/AideTek-VC97...d=1603069018&sprefix=vishy+mul,aps,482&sr=8-4

I have a Fluke 75 in my bag since the mid 80s plus a cheap DC clamp-on stored onboard for special occasions. When you ask “best”, Fluke is the best in quality.

While I agree on the quality of Fluke, their high resolution DC clamp version, the 325, is more annoying to use than the Extech. I own them both, along with many other Fluke meters. Again if only one, the Extech. The best combo is the Extech for current measurements, and a non clamp Fluke for other stuff.

For something completely different, order a Pokit. A lot of really neat features if they ever ship it. I gambled on the kickstarter campaign about a year ago, I may still get it this year. Includes oscilloscope functions, and with two they sync for two channel. No clamp on current measurements though, extremely important on a boat so again - if only one, the Extech.

I have a standalone PC usb BASED 2 CHANNEL SCOPE THAT IS very handy. It Will let you record readings to almost unlimited memory. Working alone it is essential.

You are confusing resolution with accuracy.
One can not afford .0001% Accuracy. High end 6 1/2 digit DMM’s from Keysight (formally HP) and Keithey Instrument are the best in the world and can offer 0.004% plus temp variations and other variables. 8 digit DMM’s get closer but can’t get there as well. I sold both of these brands professionally.

Accuracy refers the the absolute true value of a displayed indication vs. known precise voltage source. Resolution defines how many digits. And the displayed precision of the measurement.

You are referring to a need to measure AC voltage (110VAC?) to 1/100th of a volt. Ie, 110.00 volts. The typical accuracy would be for an AC measurement will be about 1%, no better.

With a good 4 1/2 DDM DC basic accuracy ±([0.5%% of reading] + [2/counts]

Small differences in voltage with be “more accurate” because you a comparing various voltages to each other. This is important when tracing corroded circuits. Corrosion of connections, crimps and wires are the #1 electrical issue that eventually always come home to bite you in the butt.

When troubleshooting, having a DMM that is repeatable is more important that absolute accuracy.

Last edited:
Never seen an electrical professional with anything other than a Fluke brand meter.

My opinion is get one with frequency measurement.

Without that you are only guessing wether your generator is working properly or not.

I have several meters:

A Greenlee True RMS

And old pushbutton selector Fluke 8020B that is very stable

Klein True RMS clamp meter with splitter

Mooshimeter bluetooth datalogging meter uses your Iphone or Android for display and datalogging.

Simpson Analog (with the old needle meter, sometimes you need to look at a needle)

Harbor Freight Cen Tech 98674 11 function

The number 1 meter I grab is the Harbor freight. It has easy to use controls, backlit, continuity alarm, Thermocouple temp probe, decibel meter and lux.

I had one for about 10 years and it took some serious abuse as my sacrificial meter. When it finally quit from abuse I went and bought another. The thermocouple works well and comes in handy. Perfect for a boat IMO.

If money is not a concern the Fluke 77 as mentioned is the standard. The meter we use at work fixing aircraft are calibrated Flukes. Techs can use their basic meters for basic troubleshooting, but anything requiring an actual measurement must be done with one of the calibrated Flukes with a tool control number.

Last edited:
I use a Fluke 179 for most measurements, a Fluke 36 clamp meter to measure current and a Fluke 62 Max+ for temperature measurements. I've tried other brands, but in my experience, none have held up like Fluke.

I deal with electric , not electronics so my Ancient Fluke 27 has worked well for 3 decades.

I use a Fluke 177. I like the non contact AC voltage detection it has, nice when you are poking around areas where AC may be present or to verify that an outlet has power easily.

I had used a cheaper no name meter for many years and the fluke is much more pleasant to use with backlight, much faster and more stable readings, ability to measure frequency, and has a Hi-Z option which can be useful if you are doing advanced troubleshooting of wiring issues.

In addition, a set of Probemaster modular probes adds a ton of utility to any multimeter! No affiliation, but it's so handy to have options to clip the leads onto a variety of items.

https://probemaster.com/9104-electronic-deluxe-test-lead-kit/

If it works well, it must be a Fluke.

Flukes are nice if:

- someone else is buying
- you can write it off on taxes

Best way to get a Fluke if you do not meet the above conditions is to buy it used. Can always find them used.

I swear the world has an infinite capacity for certain tools that get "consumed" on job sites. Fluke multimeters and Makita grinders come to mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom