View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
menzies
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Had planned on leaving Hilton Head this morning but the engines wouldn't crank. We were on shore power for the last three days and the charger showed everything charged and on float.

Got a mechanic to come and check them out (still in a back brace and certainly can't deal with 8Ds!). The starboard one was completely dead, showing 10v and 10 CCA (out of 1400), so basically none!! The port, which had clearly been carrying the load was at 12.6v and 900 CCA. He said that could come back once we replace the bad battery.

These are only five years old and maintained by a Trace system. I checked levels in March and not since, we have only started using the boat this year in the last four weeks. We have been on this trip since Saturday and we ran outside for six hours on Monday with no trace of an issue until we got to this marina - then had what I thought was a thruster issue (which in hindsight was the battery issue as the thruster is run off the starts).

Sounds to me like a total early failure of the battery somehow.

Anyhow I had him replace both with 1800 CCA AGMs. We anchor out too much to be caught out.

Not cheap batteries and 165 pounds weight each! He needed another guy from their shop to come help with the lifting.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote