Is Anyone Cruising Right Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spent a few days in the Gulf Islands until the smoke rolled in. Full-on radar; had to get the manual out to figure out how to run the fog horn. Crossing the Strait with half-to-one-mile vis and dodging WG was sporty.

A three Strait day...

.....plus one inlet for good measure.
Strait of Georgia, Rosario Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca, and Admiralty Inlet with current opposing wind.
Blaine to Port Hadlock on Libra. Hugged my ‘canoe stern’ when we arrived.
Nice ride.

Attachments

• 55788147-27FF-496D-A605-5389297A5EAC.jpg
    55788147-27FF-496D-A605-5389297A5EAC.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 49
We took advantage of perfect seas this weekend to head north. We anchored last night off Cape Canaveral not too far from Disney Wonder. We even ribbed around them, just to get a close by feeling of the real size of the ship. I think a few crew members appreciated having some entertainment. Can you imagine being stuck there as long as they have?

Northern Spy,
Is that you in the kayak?
Vera nice pictures.
Thanks

Yes, it must be very difficult for those cruise ship crews. They are also anchored out in San Diego. They bring them in to the Bay periodically to pump them out and I assume take on provisions. Ghost ships.

Spent a few days in the Gulf Islands until the smoke rolled in. Full-on radar; had to get the manual out to figure out how to run the fog horn. Crossing the Strait with half-to-one-mile vis and dodging WG was sporty.
There was about 1 mile visibility Sept 12th

20200912_115725.jpg

Ultimate Cruise

Well we’re done, finished up the purchase of our new trawler and heading home.
70’ Hatteras purchased in Montenegro at the end of August and we headed out end of September. Crossed the Adriatic over to Italy and are currently sitting in Sicily waiting for a weather window to get over to Sardinia. Hope to be in the Caribbean for the winter, through the Panama Canal late March and back up to the PNW for the July 1st fireworks.

Well we’re done, finished up the purchase of our new trawler and heading home.
70’ Hatteras purchased in Montenegro at the end of August and we headed out end of September. Crossed the Adriatic over to Italy and are currently sitting in Sicily waiting for a weather window to get over to Sardinia. Hope to be in the Caribbean for the winter, through the Panama Canal late March and back up to the PNW for the July 1st fireworks.

Stay safe and have lots of fun.
It will be a trip to remember.

That's not cruising - that's voyaging!

Stay safe.

Unfortunately no more cruising for us this year. 2 weeks until winter haulout. So we'll manage 1 more weekend, then it's time to start winterizing and offloading.

So, other than that are you gonna be doing anything?

Nope that’s about it. Thanks all for the good wishes, really had a tough decision with this covid stuff but we thought that the safest place to be would be on a boat away from crowds.

Nope that’s about it. Thanks all for the good wishes, really had a tough decision with this covid stuff but we thought that the safest place to be would be on a boat away from crowds.

You should post a thread & keep it updated with pictures. I know a lot of us would love to see your progress! I'm envious!

We finished up this weekend and will start the winterization tomorrow. A bunch of our large boat friends are gearing up to head south in the coming weeks. I am jealous. Maybe someday.

Wifey B: Well, we're not going anywhere but still cruising every weekend. This past weekend we spent about 12 hours on the water and covered over 300 nm and ended up right where we started again.

I learned of boating as the best way ever to relieve all stress of work in 2001 when my hubby, fiancee at the time, took me our and then after we were married in June of 2001. It didn't matter how hard the day was or the week was if we could get even an hour on the water. It's like the breeze in your face blows all other thoughts away. :thumb:

Today with all that's going on and the two of us actually working to keep business going and try to keep people employed. So, we can't cruise anywhere, but we can get out on the water and we do every weekend. And for us as well as our extended family which is all working with us, it washes away the stress of the week, the stress of the world. When we're on the water, we're free. It refreshes and equips us to face what we must during the next week. :speed boat:

I remember the first time I saw my hubby at the helm of our small boat on the lake and he was transformed. I could see it in his face, in his relaxed body. He was no longer a businessman, but a boater. The child of him emerged. Then he asked me if I wanted to try driving the boat. That was eay to answer, ":censored: yeah". I guess I thought it would feel like driving a car, but it didn't, not at all. It was exhilarating, it was beautiful, it was so sensual in that it brought all the senses into play, the smell of fresh air, the touch of it across you, the sounds of the water, the beauty of the lake. I was hooked, just as much as if it had been heroin or something but much safer. The water is our escape, our safe zone, our heaven on earth. :)

And one last thing, you can never explain the feeling to a non-boater. They have nothing in their experiences to compare it to as you describe it. It has to be experienced. :D

BandB,
Well said, that feeling that you are describing is Euphoric, that’s how our sailboat got her name “Euphoria” got that great feeling every time we stepped onboard.

Fall has definitely set in, but still good cruising here in the PNW and the last few days did not disappoint.
Highlights include whales and this peaceful little board cruise with a trusty companion aboard and Klee Wyck in the background.

Attachments

• Board cruise.jpg
    Board cruise.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 31
Is anyone cruising right now?

Ahoy all. Just wrapping up a month long cruise in the Bahamas. All is well and the weather has been fine. Covid protocols are manageable but necessary. Bahamians are serious in there efforts to do the right thing. Very few cruising boats - practically none. Same for tourists.

One strange thing I noticed, between Bimini and the Berry Islands, still on the Bahama Bank in about 75 feet of water were about 19 large cruise ships anchored about a mile or less apart. Sort of a cruise ship parking lot. Guess it is a lot cheaper than some dock in Florida? Apparently has caused a lot of contraversy locally.

Stay safe & healthy all.

Mike

Wifey B: Well, we're not going anywhere but still cruising every weekend. This past weekend we spent about 12 hours on the water and covered over 300 nm and ended up right where we started again.

I learned of boating as the best way ever to relieve all stress of work in 2001 when my hubby, fiancee at the time, took me our and then after we were married in June of 2001. It didn't matter how hard the day was or the week was if we could get even an hour on the water. It's like the breeze in your face blows all other thoughts away. :thumb:

Today with all that's going on and the two of us actually working to keep business going and try to keep people employed. So, we can't cruise anywhere, but we can get out on the water and we do every weekend. And for us as well as our extended family which is all working with us, it washes away the stress of the week, the stress of the world. When we're on the water, we're free. It refreshes and equips us to face what we must during the next week. :speed boat:

I remember the first time I saw my hubby at the helm of our small boat on the lake and he was transformed. I could see it in his face, in his relaxed body. He was no longer a businessman, but a boater. The child of him emerged. Then he asked me if I wanted to try driving the boat. That was eay to answer, ":censored: yeah". I guess I thought it would feel like driving a car, but it didn't, not at all. It was exhilarating, it was beautiful, it was so sensual in that it brought all the senses into play, the smell of fresh air, the touch of it across you, the sounds of the water, the beauty of the lake. I was hooked, just as much as if it had been heroin or something but much safer. The water is our escape, our safe zone, our heaven on earth. :)

And one last thing, you can never explain the feeling to a non-boater. They have nothing in their experiences to compare it to as you describe it. It has to be experienced. :D

Reminds me of a good quote: "If you are not a boater, no explanation is possible. If you are a boater, no explanation is necessary." Thanks for the great post!

One strange thing I noticed, between Bimini and the Berry Islands, still on the Bahama Bank in about 75 feet of water were about 19 large cruise ships anchored about a mile or less apart. Sort of a cruise ship parking lot. Guess it is a lot cheaper than some dock in Florida? Apparently has caused a lot of contraversy locally.

Stay safe & healthy all.

Mike

Wifey B: We see them every time we go out any distance. They're everywhere. :rofl:

Ahoy all. Just wrapping up a month long cruise in the Bahamas. All is well and the weather has been fine. Covid protocols are manageable but necessary. Bahamians are serious in there efforts to do the right thing. Very few cruising boats - practically none. Same for tourists.

Stay safe & healthy all.

Mike
Mike,
We are continuing to cruise, but not quite the same as the Bahama's.

With the blessing of Canadian Customs and Immigration (with lots of restrictions) we were able to transit from Seattle to Alaska in July. We have been cruising in SE Alaska since and will remain up here cruising as the weather permits all winter. It's been snowing off and on the last week, but the water has been calm most of the time. The summer boating season was pretty empty up here due to Covid and now we are most certainly by ourselves out cruising. We just come across the occasional commercial fishing boat.

If nothing else, winter boating in Alaska should be an adventure.

Maybe next year we will be able to return to our original plan for the winter, which was to be in the Sea of Cortez.

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
www.youtube.com/cruisingseaventure

Jim,
Get some “cramp on’s” ...
I think that’s the expression. The floats can be very dangerous re the ice and walking around town is very icy too.
They attach to your rubber boots and are sorta like a rack of knives pointing down. Very effective.
Hope you can get into Harris Harbor .. closer to town. But taxi’s abound.
When the Taku winds come stay on the boat.

We take short cruises nearly every week. Over the summer we went up to the origin (or the end of navigable waters) of the Cumberland River to Celina, TN. It was a beautiful trip of 492 miles round trip for us with only a couple of locks. Saw lots of wildlife, stayed on the hook in some deserted coves and tried some new favorite (and one very run-down) marinas along the way. Through the winter we only have one overnight trip planned for December but we shall see!
Fx741gh.jpg

1DiTdgq.jpg

raWq9Tc.jpg

1aJb8EF.jpg

yKoE3cZ.jpg

I have been out and about in our local waters and when I am not there I stay at the boat roughly 5 days there 7 back home, repeat. About to head out to the boat for 5 days tomorrow.

Finally, we started the Great Loop!
Left St Petersburg Saturday morning and are already in Clewiston, getting ready to cross Lake O in the morning. Light wind and 80F. Man, this is awesome.
:dance:

Attachments

• IMG-4154.jpg
    IMG-4154.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 36
Left St Petersburg Saturday morning and are already in Clewiston, getting ready to cross Lake O in the morning. Light wind and 80F. Man, this is awesome.

Awesome! Have you decided what route you're taking for the great lakes area?

I’ll pre-welcome you to Stuart ?

For the Great Lakes, we'd like to take the Trent-Severn Waterway, but that's up to Canada. We fit under the Erie Canal western half 15’ 6” clearance limit by a foot. And that route would also be fun.

This is really weird - Florida started vaccinating >60y old's on Monday; I'm 60. We docked at Roland Martin's in Clewiston and I walked into town and got the shot yesterday at Walgreens. Booked it online 2 days prior. There is a lot to be said for going with the flow...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom