Lead Time for a New Nordhavn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gozer

Vessel Name
Pamela Sue II
Vessel Make
Helmsman PH38E
I am planning to sell my three year old 40’ trawler and buying a larger boat, specifically looking at Nordhavn, a 52 or 60. I don’t see much of anything on the used market right now, boats seem to be selling like hot cakes.

If I went with a new Nordhavn, can anyone tell me the lead time involved. I saw something that said 2.5 years. If that’s correct, I better rethink and slow down on the sale of my existing boat.

I am planning to sell my three year old 40’ trawler and buying a larger boat, specifically looking at Nordhavn, a 52 or 60. I don’t see much of anything on the used market right now, boats seem to be selling like hot cakes.

If I went with a new Nordhavn, can anyone tell me the lead time involved. I saw something that said 2.5 years. If that’s correct, I better rethink and slow down on the sale of my existing boat.

Contact Nordhavn direct. Often there are boats in production that become available for a variety of reasons. Or lightly used vessels that are not being openly marketed where owner is looking for an out.

Check with Nordhavn, but for a 52 or 60 the lead time would be 12-18 months. Definitely not 2.5 years, though that's what the build time on my 68 has been. But there was a big backlog. Actual build time for a 68 is about 18 months.

Also keep in mind that the "build time" is to when the boat is finished at the yard. Allow 4-8 weeks shipping, then 2 months commissioning. And longer commissioning if you install the electronics in the US vs pre-installing at the yard.

And Sunchaser is correct about builds that get orphaned before delivery. Shirt happens, and buyers have to drop out from time to time.

It looks like you are in the PNW? If so, go see Don Kohlman at PAE's office at Elliot Bay Marina. I can't speak highly enough about him.

Wow. 12-18 months is not bad at all. I just had a 27’ cat built and it took 21 months.

IMHO.

Whenever I see something like this I immediately go to;

He is going to spend multi millions on a boat.

If he is considering a new Nordy he will have already contacted PAE, or has at least done significant due diligence.

Why ask a bunch of trawler'ers.

This was just letting us know he is buying a new Nordy.

Always love a good conspiracy theory but wrong. I had not contacted a dealer but have since. Lead time is about two years, which led me to delay the sale of my current boat and search the used market a little closer.

As to my post, I find that you Trawler’ers are a great source of info, and just maybe some one would pop up and know of a 60 somewhere that might be coming on the market.

Anyway, what I have found is the used market is a little tight right now and Nordhavn, while obviously great boats, are mission specific.

I don’t plan to be crossing oceans, and after watching their North Atlantic crossing video, I reaffirmed that decision. It’s coastal cruising for me,

My ideal boat not begins with an F.

You might check-up on this 52'. It showed up at our dock earlier this summer. I have never seen anyone on her and she has yet to leave the slip. I'm not sure what she looks like inside, but from the outside, she's a beauty!

From the Nordhaven web site:

5278 SERENE sea trial and survey in Seabrook,Texas
June 12, 2020

Nordhavn 52#78 is being surveyed and sea trialed today in Seabrook, TX. The boat’s seller was represented by Nordhavn SW broker Eric Leishman and the buyer represented by Nordhavn NW broker Don Kohlmann. The two colleagues worked to get the boat listed and sale pending in just a little over a month.

I was told by Nordhavn when discussing a potential future build that for the smaller boats 63 and smaller, expect 18-24 months unless crazy modifications are requested.

I spent a month in Ensenada, MX a few years back. There is one very good hotel marina there and typically there are at least 5-6 Nordhavn’s there. You might actually find a used one there.
Just a thought....

I've always loved those Selenes. For someone who doesn't plan to ocean cross, but would like a boat that could if need be do that with some due care, that is the sort of boat the Selenes appear to be. They are in some ways a more liveable lay-out than most Nordys, and the fit and finish excellent, and...well...some would say they tend to just look nicer. But all in the eye of the beholder I guess.
:hide::D

I've always loved those Selenes. For someone who doesn't plan to ocean cross, but would like a boat that could if need be do that with some due care, that is the sort of boat the Selenes appear to be. They are in some ways a more liveable lay-out than most Nordys, and the fit and finish excellent, and...well...some would say they tend to just look nicer. But all in the eye of the beholder I guess.
:hide::D

I think you're getting into personal preference there. Also I do think the Selenes represent a better value assuming everything else is equal.

If extended coastal cruising is your use case I suspect there are a number of quality boats that could fit the mission and not all are trawlers but might share the pilothouse configuration. Although out of my price range, one concern I’ve had about trawler style boats with revers slant windows is the amount of light in the pilothouse. Boats like NHvn and Selene et. al. all seem dark inside with constricted views. Very much a personal preference from a PacNW boater. Stabilized OA pilothouse, etc can be run economically at trawler speeds. Again, depends on where you will cruise, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom