Howdy, I’m new and have a trawler! - Kha Shing Spindrift 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natbarre

Vessel Name
Mama Jama
Vessel Make
Kha Shing Spindrift 40
Good Day!
I’m new to the forum and will be picking some brains as I do a cosmetic and mechanical refit of my 1987 Kha Shing Spindrift 40 Sundeck trawler that I bought a year and a half ago! It has twin TAMD41A’s by Volvo Penta with only 900 hours on them. However, she came from a home with parents that each worked two jobs and was a bit neglected.
Sooooo... I’ve got a bunch of projects:
Replace the interior carpet with Waterproof Luxury Vinyl that will be glued down. Replace some dry-rotted vertical ply surfaces and paint white.
All-new canvas.
Go through the motors:
Clean heat exchangers, oil coolers, replace crankcase filters, rebuild raw water pumps.
Remove old electronics, plug huge holes, replace with consolidated units.
Figure out how much fuel is in my tanks.
Remove teak on foredeck, texture and awlgrip.
Varnish teak round-the-boat rails and rehab some interior varnish.
JFC, there’s quite a bit to do.
I’m Located in Coronado in Southern California and am also associated with a realtor woman who calls me her husband and children that call me daddy.

Welcome.

What a handsome man you are!

welcome we are going to need some pictures of the boat and the realtor .do your tanks have sight glasses?

I hope you are sitting down when you find out how much VOLVO parts cost...if you can find them.

Holy crap you guys are tough.

Welcome the new guy and wait until he posts something you can actually bash him for other that his green motors or his mug.

Welcome aboard natbarre!

Hollywood

Welcome aboard Nate!
Definitely post the pictures suggested.
Welcome to boat ownership. "Ain't boats fun"!! :)

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. Take a look at Kiwigrip for the deck nonskid. It is way easier than awlgrip and the fiberglass finish does not have to be a perfect since Kiwigrip hides minor imperfections.

Nat, it's obvious that you have the wrong anchor!

Welcome aboard

I hope you are sitting down when you find out how much VOLVO parts cost...if you can find them.

Yeah! Anyone have a source for all the stupid o-rings in the cooling system?

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. Take a look at Kiwigrip for the deck nonskid. It is way easier than awlgrip and the fiberglass finish does not have to be a perfect since Kiwigrip hides minor imperfections.
Thanks for the tip!

Good hydraulics shops have about every o ring known to man.

Second the Kiwigrip...does what it says it does and IS easy.....

Get used to the hard knocks....typical....

Last edited:
Yeah! Anyone have a source for all the stupid o-rings in the cooling system?
You can buy boxes of 800-1000 O-rings in many sizes on Ebay. Some claim to be oil etc resistant, but heat/coolant resistant? no idea. I`ve heard the marina mechanic cursing OEM Volvo cooling system O-rings, and the cost.

Our previous boat had a Volvo that ran fine for five years before we sold, and she has been running fine ever since (another 6 years). And they are quieter than most.

Doesn’t Volvo sell the O rings for $250 and a 6 month wait???

Welcome!
I missed my family at first. But the guys at the o-ring shop and, especially, the stainless fastener shop (Tri-City Bolt & Screw) are like a new family to me.
[Flashlights, eye protection, first aide kit....]

Welcome. If it's not too late, run away and don't look back.

“Sight glasses?”

On my boat, they are clear vertical tubes of some really thick plastic. They have a valve on the top and bottom which you open to view the level of fuel in the tank, and then close (only have them open while checking).

They are useful as a general indicator because they don’t reach to the top of the tank or to the bottom.

Welcome aboard.
The deck for the carpet isn’t teak parquet or teak and holly? Don’t glue over that.

Nope, just plywood sub-floor- 1/2”. Same in the aft cabin.

Glue a neoprene floor cover and then glue the carpet on top of that.
Use a thick neoprene but check to make sure everything still opens.

Nat
Welcome aboard TF and congrats on the "new" boat.
For interior sole replacement you might consider PlasTeak sheet flooring. I replaced interior carpet with this stuff including the optional padding and really like and recommend it. Not as inexpensive as big box vinyl but if you want a great look and feel ( soft under bare feet) worth considering
See for pics and info. Many styles available.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46119

Not that I’ve found. Where are they typically?
Found them! Dirty reinforced tubes on the front of the tanks clearly show my enormous tanks are completely full of red liquid.

Attachments

• B6AA7A21-5E29-4F49-B468-16AEDF7C3E9C.jpg
    B6AA7A21-5E29-4F49-B468-16AEDF7C3E9C.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Just because the sight glasses are full of red liquid doesn't mean it is good usable diesel fuel. Look for a bottom drain valve on each of the tanks and very slowly take a sample in a clear quart jar from each tank.

If you see any black stuff come out it is allege, and the tanks will have to be washed down and the fuel polished to 2-microns. The last thing you want is to go to sea with dirty fuel and/or dirty tanks.

Welcome to the forum and don't let all of us old guys scare you away. :)

I have just bought a 1985 Kha Shing 40

Hi;
Does anyone know where to find old time manuals for this? I cant find a thing and havent been giving and manuals or schematics

Thanks

Hi Dream

Welcome aboard!

Only item I would look into is repeated searches on Google. If you're lucky some member here may be more assistance.

Good Luck!

Come on everyone. Kah Shings are nice boats. Volvos are nice engines.

The handsome dude newcomer will learn the bad points soon enough, lets not rain on his parade.

Welcome Aboard!

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom