Old 10-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #104
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njlarry View Post
Baker, Thank you for your insights. We are coming from sail and are confused aft cabin vs walk around deck trawler vs cockpit like the Carver 404. Also confused inside vs outside spaces and functionality.
Aft cruisers have lots of interior space but line handling looks to be a challenge. I thought a cockpit would fix that plus be more secure for the admiral while docking and be a great place for drinks and snacks while swimming at anchor. You seem seem to feel a little differently about cockpits. Interested in the opinions of experienced skippers like you who have had different designs. Totally agree about steps vs ladders! We love the aesthetic and bridge of trawlers but space for space and hp for hp are much more costly than other designs of similar build quality.
So many compromises, so little time.
I don't necessarily disagree with cockpits. I just think that if you are getting a cockpit strictly for linehandling, then the Carver solution of secure stairs to a secure stern platform solves that problem. Maybe not quite as secure as a cockpit, but definitely gives you the ability to handle lines easily. The Carver 404 you mention was the same boat as my 356 except with a 5 foot cockpit. Great boat by the way. If you are wanting a cockpit for other things like fishing, then yeah, it makes sense. But I think it is a waste of money if it is just for line handling when the problem is solved already on the 356. But if you are contemplating those boats, please shop for diesel. I had the Cummins 330B and man what a perfect boat/engine combo. I cruised between 2300-2400rpm(on a 2800rpm boat that I had underpropped) and it yielded 17-19 knots at about 16gph. The 404 might do even better with the longer waterline....although interestingly, the 356 swim platform was not just bolted on, it was part of the hull....something my bottom painter guy noticed and walked away shaking his head because he knew I was getting a few extra feet for free.

Anyway, I don't know if you are zeroing in on the 404 but it really is harder to find a better value in a boat that cruises nicely with such decent economy. The only reason we sold is we wanted to try the sedan lifestyle. No regrets and we love the new boat. But I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Carver 356 we had. It was an absolutely wonderful boat. Small enough to not be a hassle handling in tight quarters. And big enough to be comfortable. Good luck in your search. I think you are doing it right by researching alternative solutions!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote