Polywog metamorphosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timicrinn

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hale Moku
Vessel Make
4788 Bayliner
Not a complete polywog...got some stubbles of legs but looking to complete my metamorphosis. Have owned sailboats 22’, 24 & 19 ft boats, campers on the water, fishing boats, worked on a100’ fish boat, have a canoe and kayaks...but the wife and I are ready for the big pond. We are done with our 11th buy-fix-sell house. We are both retired and live in the land of the “Salish sea”. So why not take advantage of that...ok...let’s buy and move on the boat. We are here for 6 months and in the desert for 6 months. We have been touring boats, looking at boats, reading all that we can about boat...which is why I am here. We just love this site with all the good info, tips, tricks, pit falls and advice. I was on submarines for years...raised on em as my dad was a lifer. Could not find one to buy that would accommodate our needs so...the search continues. Big issue: we own a Shelty dog that will need to adapt. So a boat with a complete walk around is a must. I am not a fan of a large air height...wind and all...like the lower profile. So the trawler design is where we seem to be going. My wife was raised in the desert so this is all very frustrating to her. We are looking in the 45’-55’ range with a good galley...she love to cook...twin diesels, water maker and 2 staterooms and heads. Is this to much to ask? I know we would lose interior space with the complete walk around but since we will be here in the summer months...outside is important...especially when docking. Well that’s my story...the house is going on the market...where everything sells yesterday...then it’s down to the best maintained trawler style design to cash out and sail away. Any thought comments or critiques on this plan is greatly appreciated...looking looking looking.

Greetings from a Shellback and Lifer surface skimmer, welcome to the Trawler Forum, I hope one day you will be initiated into the royal ranks of Shellbacks and the Kingdom of Neptune Rex.
Your plan sounds reasonable and doable, my favorite in your size range would be a Defever 44. Good luck on your search. The TF will no doubt provide you with many many opinions and assistance in your quest.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. For liveaboard and long distance cruising I love a Hatteras 58 LRC. They are getting old but are a quality boat and have long legs with 2400 gallons of diesel. Probably won’t be able to get a loan on them due to the age. Have fun looking and keep us informed as to how it is going. And we love photos of the boats you are looking at.

45’-55’ range with a good galley...she love to cook...twin diesels, water maker and 2 staterooms and heads. Is this to much to ask? I know we would lose interior space with the complete walk around but since we will be here in the summer months...outside is important...especially when docking.
Your specification seems very well thought out and acheivable; many participants here have vessels that fit that description, including mine (You can't have it.)

Attachments

• DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 24
Welcome from a another Shellback - been across the line a few times and got the scars to prove it!

Welcome Shipmate and Ill let King Neptune know he has another wog on the way. Keep looking and the boat will find you. Your in a great area to find her.

Cheers

Greeting from a submariner, destroyer sailor and Blue Nose.

And yet another welcome aboard, this time from a Golden Shellback. Crossed the equator at the IDL. Best of luck in your search for the perfect vessel. You'll find a treasure trove of knowledge and experience here. Some real characters too :thumb:

Dang AlaskaProf...I want your boat...that’s the one...got to be another one out there. Should I direct my search to the west coast or is The east coast and Europe to far to transport

Dang AlaskaProf...I want your boat...that’s the one...got to be another one out there. Should I direct my search to the west coast or is The east coast and Europe to far to transport

"Dang...that's the one..." is exactly how I acquired it. We were in Tacoma for a pre-college visit for my daughter and my wife left me alone for three hours...

A friend of mine says, "You can compliment my wife, my dog, my pickup truck, but if you want to make me feel really good, say something nice about my boat. It is nearly as nice as the pic suggests, and does have everything you specified except the watermaker, but with 200 gals, we can shower for a week without tanking. ...and yes it does have a stall shower.

It is a '74 Rawson 41, built on Lake Washington by a firm known for their work boats. They made a few 38 foot power yachts; mine may be the only 41 in captivity. I'm told it is a Monk design and there are are a number of other manufacturers using that configuration; you should be able to find something in your area code.

I'd solicit an offer, but I think I have one more Alaska trip left before I "age out".
Bill

Last edited:
"

They made a few 38 foot power yachts; mine may be the only 41 in captivity.
Bill

Internet search just now turned up exactly one picture of a Rawson 41, it's mine, under a different name/owner.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom