City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
syjos wrote;
“The biggest vibration reduction was installing a 200# flywheel.“

Some cars could use that treatment.

syjos how did you get a 200lb flywheel? Off the shelf I assume but if you modified a lighter fly (added to it?) or what? If it’s not off the shelf how’d ya get it?

Could be interesting. Like maybe there was a straight eight Lehman.
I bought the 200# flywheel and bellhousing adapter 20 years ago. It was a Lehman accessory kit available into the late 90's. It is featured in the original Lehman catalog.

I bought the last three kits that were available. Installed one on Sandpiper and sold the other two to clients.

It required the shaft to be shortened and the rear motor mount moved aft. The other option would be to move the engine forward.

It reduced vibration significantly but the idle speed still needs to be 600 to 700 rpm.

I replaced the motor mounts first, which helped reduce vibration at idle a bit. The 200# flywheel was next and the combination of the two was the trick.

The Federal Flexible coupling was installed to mitigate "rumble" while at crusing speed. The rumble was caused be either hull flex or engine movement in a sea. The cause was not pinpointed but the rumble is a lot less with the flex coupling.

The Federal coupling does not protect drivechain from hitting something with the prop.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote