Hull warranty ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucketlist1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lemon-Aid
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R-27
Hi everyone , being a newbie on this site , I am going to learn how get around on the site .
I would like feed back from members that have went through hull warranty claims with different brands of boats . From minor issues to major hull cracks and interior fiberglass structural issues .

I have had many different brands of fiberglass boats and never had a serious issue until now . I have a 2018 R27 Ranger Tug with 2 large cracks . there is no sign of the hull hitting or scrapping anything . In my personal opinion it was done when blocked . It is a very long story , and I have been taken to task by some of the ''Ranger Followers ''on Tugnuts for daring to give my opinion about the dealership and plant .

How have the Trawlerforum members been treated by their boat manufacturers and dealers ? when it comes to '' Mysterious Hull Cracks ''

Thank you in advance

Have you contacted your insurance agent yet. If not that should be done immediately.
They should send a surveyor who is knowledgeable in this kind of damage down to inspect the boat.
Do nothing to the boat, don't move it, don't play with the cracks, do NOTHING.

Allow nothing to be done to it untill the surveyor has seen it.

Do take photos of your own from many different points and showing the blocking.

If you do anything or allow anything to be done you may seriously compromise any claim.
Unless of course it has gone further than that already.

And yes, sometimes improper blocking can cause trouble. Another member just went through this in the last year. Improper blocking. My BIL had trouble although a long time ago due to improper blocking.

hull Warranty ?

Sorry , i think i lost a couple replies i did by '' quick reply '' . I don't see them anymore . My issue was buying a used boat from the dealer ( 2018 with 25 hours on it) , that had hull damage before i bought it ( in my opinion ) . When i sent a boat transport company to pick it up , they caught the salesman mopping up the V birth , then going for a quick ride to '' get the algae off '' or in my opinion get the bow up to get water to the stern to pump it out . Was a bad deal all around . No One should deal with dealers you know well ( friends ??? ) . They had their tech '' go over the boat '' . it was a rushed deal , i had a trade also . What could be wrong with a boat wit 25 hrs ? sold by the dealer ( boat house stored on a new $ 15 K marine railroad ) . The boat ( in my opinion ) was damaged at one of 3 places . the Ranger plant - the ''unknown '' freight company from Washington state to Ontario, or the dealer .
The boat was delivered to the first owner , by water , by the salesman . The boat was never blocked after it left the dealership .
Some say call your insurance company --- i can't make up a story for a claim , it was leaking at the dealership after i paid for it .

The Ontario Ranger Tug dealer has told me to go away , the plant says to call my insurance company . This is not good customer service when a boat leaks before it is delivered . They say the ''as-is '' little line on the dealer invoice is that ..... as is i won't be rolling over on this one .

hull Warranty ?

My one typing finger is getting tired . I look forward to any constructive opinions . Tomorrow I can answer any questions . It is like a movie . I have 2 '' of copied emails , texts , notes , survey results , once the ''damaged'' boat arrived ( i know , wrong order ..... never trust friends you make , that sell boats ) all in ''my personal opinion '' as you never know who is reading ! thanks

I would wonder why the boat was a used boat with only 25 hours on it? Why so low hours? Was it being repaired the entire time? We had a down year this year due to the virus and only put on about 25 hours. Did you ask about the history of the boat and why the very low hours and what was the answer?

yes , met the first owner . Lived on the water , boat house at his residence . it sat in the boat house all the time . They used it for a 2-3 hour boat ride , once and a while . the shrink wrap was still on the stainless fridge front panel . still smelled new . My wife loved the boat..... happy wife , happy life .... ( she is not too happy now )

This is also 1 finger. On a phone which I hate for this purpose.
Call your insurance. Co. They would not accept a claim I expect.
They may be able to help with advice about suitable surveyors and repair yards.
Get their opinions. Keep a log of people talked to, time,date etc.
Talked to the previous owner and who is it.?
But ask them for help, insurance e o.

Last edited:
Hi. Bummer about your boat. Your timeline is difficult to follow. Is the damage easily fixable? Besides the hull are any structural members like stringers or bulkheads damages? Be aware Ranger Tugs definitely follows this forum along with many tugnuts so what you poster here will likely be copied/documented.

Let’s see if I understand the situation. You bought a used boat from a Canadian Dealer, you signed an As Is, Where Is purchase agreement with out having the boat surveyed first. Now you are claiming the boat was damaged by the manufacturer. Did I get this right?

It sounds to me like you're speculating and have no proof. I assume you didn't get it surveyed when you bought it?

I'd suggest calling your insurance. They should send someone who can identify what they feel is the cause. The warranty will only apply if there was some sort of build defect. I don't know what you're describing in major hull cracks. Now, if determined not to be a builder's defect but instead be a blocking problem like you're saying, then that would not be covered by the warranty. If it occurred before you bought the boat, it also wouldn't be covered under your insurance. However, you should omit all the random speculation and what the driver said, understanding he may have damaged it and tried to cover. Just stick to the facts, not third party comments, not speculation, no guessing. You're not hiding anything in doing so because you don't honestly know anything and no kind way to say this, but your opinion on this is worthless. You don't know. You have no idea anything before you bought it and then only what you've witnessed. You're saying it always leaked and you have zero evidence of that.

Simply call your insurer and tell them your hull is cracked. If they ask if it was when you bought it, say "no, or you wouldn't have purchased it" (I assume that is true). Beyond that let them lead the way. Answer questions directly and honestly and then shut up. Don't elaborate, don't speculate, don't tell them what you heard or were told by other people. Just the facts.

A Surveyor you retain may be able to give you an opinion as to the cause of the cracks and how old they are. Without saying the obvious,even now a survey might help pin point a cause. Get a repair estimate while he`s there. Because in your opinion the damage could have occurred in one of 3 circumstances, you need to narrow down the cause, though it may or may not help you.
But.You paid for it on an invoice saying sold "as is",you`re likely on record saying there were signs of leaking and a cover up before it left the dealer, your boat mover is the witness to that, so it`s a challenge. I`d be upset if I bought a "practically new 25hr boat" like that, but there it is. You may be stuck with repairing it.
Be aware that if it ends in Court other parties may access a survey you get. If it doesn`t help you it might help them, so getting one has risks.
Think about B&B`s suggestion.

hull Warranty ?

I should have taken computers and typing in school . I just spent 1 1/2 hours typing out the whole story with 1 finger , and it didn't load . did i time out ??

hull Warranty ?

I have loaded 6 pictures onto my photo album . I will try to find my missing draft . thanks

hull Warranty ?

Sorry for the caps on the attachments i will hopefully attach . My computer skills are ''trial by fire '' . I have learned a lot in the last month !

I had a much better draft for you , but i think i timed out ?

Attachments

• update- ranger tug story20201003_11281342.pdf
    669.8 KB · Views: 126
Well , TUGNUTS deactivated my account after 6 years . They didn't like a post i did , asking about the outcome of another owner that had a 4 '' crack on the port side , about 1/2 way back . He said it was not hit .

The VP of Ranger had the post removed , deactivated me and then posted a rant about '' if you can't be nice , if you are negative , you can go somewhere else '' then some of the ''loyal followers '' beat on me for a while . I have never been called a ''troll '' before .

I followed their '' terms of use '' . They said they are changing their terms of use -- Rainbows - Unicorns - all Ranger followers must smile , maybe ..... don't bring up anything bad ! just my personal opinion . P.S. that Sea Piper advertised looks neat ( but built in China ? )

I read your attachment. Now you are saying the Canadian dealer damaged your boat. I still don’t understand your refusal to involve your insurance company.

Maybe there is no insurance company.
I read your attachment. Now you are saying the Canadian dealer damaged your boat. I still don’t understand your refusal to involve your insurance company.

I read your attachment. You dont know who damaged the boat it could have been the factory , the first owner, the dealer , or a boat mover. You have suspicions but that is not enough for any court. You did not have it surveyed. Even new boat buyers should have their new boats surveyed .

Fix the boat, sell it, then buy a different brand and get back to boating.

He's saying everything he can speculate and he then doesn't understand why he was kicked out of their forum. If I was a judge and he came to my courtroom with all his story and speculation, I'd kick him out in about 30 seconds. Can't just throw wild accusations around and, yes, he refuses to take any steps that might shed light on what happened.

It sounds to me like sometime , some how the boat was dropped a good distance onto a hard surface.

Virtually impossible to do anything about years after the incident.

Yes , you are right , but I can prove the dealership sold a boat advertised '' like new , bow to stern , with approx. 25 hrs '' , that was leaking badly , the morning they shipped it to me . Eye witness , written statement by witness and text copies from the salesman , ''it's just a drain '' '' It's from the air conditioning '' . The truth always comes out ...... thanks for the post . in my personal opinion .....

Last edited:
Bligh & Band B ---- i have always said the dealer shipped the boat to me , knowing the boat was leaking ( i have text copies and 2 eye witnesses ) .
They did not have a tech look for the problem .

When you spend that much $ $ , '' you expect a boat that floats "

I have always said the cracks could have happened in one of 3 spots

1- the plant 2 - the unknown freight company that moved boat from plant to Canada 3 - the dealership ( which sold it new , and then used to me with approx. 25 hrs on it .

Boat was surveyed after i took delivery . You said fix and sell the boat ? its called Disclosure ..... same thing as no one wants to buy a ''wrote off '' car that was fixed ( unless you give it away $$ wise ) my opinion .

Bligh & Band B ---- i have always said the dealer shipped the boat to me , knowing the boat was leaking ( i have text copies and 2 eye witnesses ) .
They did not have a tech look for the problem .

When you spend that much $ $ , '' you expect a boat that floats "

I have always said the cracks could have happened in one of 3 spots

1- the plant 2 - the unknown freight company that moved boat from plant to Canada 3 - the dealership ( which sold it new , and then used to me with approx. 25 hrs on it .

Boat was surveyed after i took delivery . You said fix and sell the boat ? its called Disclosure ..... same thing as no one wants to buy a ''wrote off '' car that was fixed ( unless you give it away $$ wise ) my opinion .

You have no proof the boat was leaking, only people saying it had water in it. Those are very different things. We've been suggesting you contact insurance and let them investigate, survey it. Now you're saying it was surveyed after you took delivery. What did the surveyor say about the cracks?

What did your contract with the dealer say? Was it an "as is" sale or warranty on it?

If you got it properly fixed you could resell it without worry.

You keep saying you can't do this and can't do that because of your honesty but yet you throw accusations around that you can't back up in any way.

You blasted the builder and yelled warranty, yet now you list three things that could have happened and none of them would be the builder's fault or covered under warranty. You've posted pictures that in no way look like manufacturing defects from what one can see on them.

You don't mention the possibility it was damaged by the shipper who delivered it to you. Surely you didn't buy it with those holes in it so how can you say it was by the dealer or builder. Did you look at the boat? Why a survey after delivery and not before you closed?

You're all over the place and accusing everyone but doing nothing yourself to find the problem.

You didn't contact your insurer? Why? Is it because you don't have insurance? That's my bet.

You speak in riddles and change and introduce new things but you've never given a cohesive logical story. You suggest it happening at the plant. Then you didn't notice and the first owner didn't?

Give us a full chronology from the day you first saw it until you received it and first saw the cracks and who did what and when in order and everytime it was inspected.

bucketlist1,you wore out your welcome at your previous forum and you are trying members patience here. Take the emotion out of it and get analytical.Can you post the Survey?
Provisions like "as is" in the face of other assurances can be read down(here anyway) against the party they purport to protect. If that`s their best try at excluding warranties it`s a tad thin. Do you have Sale of Goods implied warranties there? B & B is giving good commercial advice. Legal advice might be useful at this stage, maybe you already have it. Sounds like no one will pay you any $ without a fight. You might sue all 3, maybe they`ll fight each other, but you could still lose.
There is a time to cut your losses.

This whole sad tale shows why a pre purchase survey is needed , even on a brand new boat.

This boat was sold as used , so a survey ,would be normal.

This whole sad tale shows why a pre purchase survey is needed , even on a brand new boat.

This boat was sold as used , so a survey ,would be normal.

Yes , FF , SO TRUE . Against my better judgement , i trusted my ''friends '' at the dealership ( after all ... what could be wrong with a boat with 25 hrs :nonono: ) As i type with one finger , If any of you want ALL the facts , go to TUGNUTS , see ---- a Ranger Tug purchase story , update hull cracks 2018 R27 Ranger , Censure ? ---- TUGNUT #1 ( the thanks for coming out , dear john letter ----- Damage Control ---

So what is missing from this story. I would simply contact my Insurance company. Let them know that either the boat was damaged in final transport or the dealer delivered a damaged boat. The insurance will either pay or not. If they determine it’s the dealer then you file a lawsuit against the insurance company and the dealer. In the end fault is found and the boat gets repaired.

Yes , FF , SO TRUE . Against my better judgement , i trusted my ''friends '' at the dealership ( after all ... what could be wrong with a boat with 25 hrs :nonono: ) As i type with one finger , If any of you want ALL the facts , go to TUGNUTS , see ---- a Ranger Tug purchase story , update hull cracks 2018 R27 Ranger , Censure ? ---- TUGNUT #1 ( the thanks for coming out , dear john letter ----- Damage Control ---

Now you're telling us if we want the facts to go somewhere else because you're not posting them here? Why don't you go to Tugnuts. Oh, that's right, your behavior got you booted there. You'd rather rant than get anything resolved. Good luck. You'll need it.

So what is missing from this story. I would simply contact my Insurance company. Let them know that either the boat was damaged in final transport or the dealer delivered a damaged boat. The insurance will either pay or not. If they determine it’s the dealer then you file a lawsuit against the insurance company and the dealer. In the end fault is found and the boat gets repaired.

He was told that long ago. Only guess is he has no insurance as he's never answered that question.

Back
Top Bottom