• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

1988 Kha Shing 40'$70 k

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftwood2

See YouTube: Kha Shing 40 for video
1988 KHA SHING 40' SPINDRIFT TRAWLER 70K
Single Ford Lehman 135 special with keel for running gear protection and good tracking.
Beam 14'
Draft 3'8" She is very stable at anchor because of the large keel and the hard chine, much less roll.
I miss Sailing so I am selling my Trawler, it is in very good condition. Clean, No odors !
1988 KHA SHING 40' Spindrift Trawler Upper deck seating for 6 to 8 people + full helm station, retractable Bimini top and plenty of storage.
13'×11' aft deck with hard top coverage.
Crain for roof top dingy storage.
Large fore deck with double bow anchor rollers, windless and deck hatch.
Fiberglass Swim platform with hot and cold shower, boarding ladder and swim ladder
All Teak wood interior with teak and holly floor thruout.
The original headliner is in excellent condition.
Molded nonskid on the deck stands proud for sure footing.
Private front cabin with two bunks, plenty of storage and wet head.
Main cabin has helm station, galley up with double sink, 3 burner stove oven, apartment size refrigerator and dining table.
Private full beam aft cabin with walk around Queen bed, head with shower and plenty of storage. Two large stainless steel water tanks are below the queen bed.
The head compartments have fiberglass walls, headliners and floors, easily kept clean and shiney.
Single FORD LEHMAN 135 special Diesel runs very well, clock reads 4,567 hours. oil cooler equipped keeping the engine oil unburnt and looking clean. The engine oil also circulates thru the injector pump keeping it cooler.
The transmission has no leaks and operates as it should. Very good fuel economy, 1,900 rpm pushes 6 to 7 knots. Top speed is 8 @ around 2,500 rpm. Question: At 2000 rpm, how long will the engine run on 270 gallons of diesel?
This Trawler was built in Taiwan and built using (DIVINYCELL PVC FOAM as Core) in the decks, Stringers and everywhere core was needed so no rot. Last year (2019) I replace the original Diesel fuel tanks with custom made aluminum tanks (original specifications of 135 gallons each) and installed them myself. I removed the old tanks and took them to a well respected builder to duplicate .
No water leaks under the windows, however some light delam. and water stains are visible under some of the Windows from years past.
Personally, I would only consider owning a boat with a single propeller and rudder that are well protected by the keel. It is equipped with a bow thruster.
The aluminum sliding side entry doors port and starboard in the main cabin are also a must for easy access to the side decks from the lower helm.
It is equipped with a 9 kw.Northern Lights diesel generator that runs fine and the clock reads ( 764 hours).two newer A/C units. New RAYMARINE CHART PLOTER, AUTOHELM.
In March of this year 2020 I hauled out at Indian Town Marina and applied 3 coats of bottom paint and then headed for the Bahamas for a month. I am very pleased at the way she handed the seas and high winds. If you are in the market for a very comfortable practical low maintenance and economical Trawler for $70k then contact me and I will tell you more. The boat is at my dock behind my home in fresh water here in Okeechobee city Florida. I unloaded all of the personal gear and unnecessary clutter to give you an unobstructed view of every nook and cranny. I am sure you will be impressed as I am with the build and the good clean condition.
I can show you the boat anytime, I have a Florida title in my name.
The purchase prices includes a trip to Indian Town Marina to have a look at the bottom and delivery to your dock. I am a licensed Captain of 35 years and it will be a pleasure to deliver your new boat for you

Grand Banks Substitute?

I've been looking at 32 and 36 ft. Grand Banks. Your KS looks similar but more bang for the buck. Perhaps to big to handle Solo? What do you think?

Thanks fo the reply, Given a choice, I would chose the K S 40 over the G B 36, much more usable space. Docking a 36 or a 40 is about the same and haveing the bow thruster is a big help. I am a custom to single handing and rather enjoy it. Please stop by any time to have look.

Yes regarding the pressure gauge reading in the vidio that read 15 psi. It has very good oil pressure, before i bought the boat i tested using a proper oil gauge, not electric and the pressure was 30 and up to 50 psi. The oil pressure is fine however the sending unit is faulty. I ordered a new one today from American Diesel. The engine is also equipped with a low oil pressure buzzer. (Edited at owner's request to be more clear - Mod) The motor oil is clean. Thanks for the reply Please stop by and have a look any time

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are quite interested in your vessel. We have just started our search in earnest and are anxious to purchase the "right" boat for us. Our intention is to do the great loop, visit the Bahamas and even take a trip to Maine in the future. We have been planning for some time and are now ready financially and mentally to move forward. During this planning we met and became friends with Curtis Stokes and have consequently contracted him to represent us as a "buyers broker". Would there be any issues with him previewing the vessel for us? If his report is favorable, which I can't imagine wouldn't be, we would make arrangements to come down and see the vessel personally and make an offer pending survey. Does this all sound agreeable to you?

The new oil pressure sending unit is now installed and the upper and lower helm gauges read 50 PSI at idle. Also last year I installed all new deep cycle batteries (8) 4 per bank and the wind charger at anchor does a good job. Plenty of room on the hard top to add solar.
The exterior of the boat is comprised of fiberglass and two sliding aluminum entrance doors port and starboard + a lot of stainless rails and fittings.

Looking forward to Friday. Have a great rest of the week.

Air draft : Kha Shing 40

AIR DRAFT : Kha Shing 40
16' to top of arch with Crain and wind generator lowered.
19' to top of Crain.
26' top of wind generator.
The Crain and wind generator lower easy, 5 minutes.

Thank you for the reply. Founded in 1975, and in business today, Kha Shing yard builds the finest yatchs.
I figure the price reflects the light damage to the teak paneling under the few Windows that is not structural and hardly noticeable.. One could even say that with the abundant amount of solid teak in the interior and superb craftsmanship of the build she is worth twice the ask if not more. Have you priced teak lately?
The water intrusion was between The fiberglass house and The aluminum window frame. The joinery has nothing to do with keeping The water out. This trawlers joinery is top notch and in very good condition. I welcome your input and Please stop by for an inspection.
Mark Bailey

I owned a 52' Kha shing trawler (1985) and was so impressed with how robust the construction was. All the framing inside with boat was teak. Then there was all the teak in the interior. It was really impressive.
The only issue I had was leaky black iron fuel tanks which I was able to fix with an aircraft type fuel tank sealant which was applied to the insides of the tank.

Video ( Kha Shing 40 )

Ahoy Tomcat, I have a video of the Kha Shing 40 on YouTube, just search : Kha Shing 40
I should have made a link here but was not sure how.
Thanks for the reply.

My wife and I are quite interested in your vessel. We have just started our search in earnest and are anxious to purchase the "right" boat for us. Our intention is to do the great loop, visit the Bahamas and even take a trip to Maine in the future. We have been planning for some time and are now ready financially and mentally to move forward. During this planning we met and became friends with Curtis Stokes and have consequently contracted him to represent us as a "buyers broker". Would there be any issues with him previewing the vessel for us? If his report is favorable, which I can't imagine wouldn't be, we would make arrangements to come down and see the vessel personally and make an offer pending survey. Does this all sound agreeable to you?

Regarding the visit to my boat by the Byers broker. More than several people have contacted me inquiring about my boat that is for sale and mentioned the request they read on TF to send a Buyers Broker for a preview and the outcome of the preview. I tell them that I contacted the Broker for his report and requested a copy but have yet received a reply or response.

Arriving at 8:00 am the broker lays the moisture meter on the dew covered fore deck and the meter makes a loud audible indication that moisture is present. I ask about the dew and his reply is " it's calibrated for that.

The aft deck was dry because the hardtop kept the dew from settling and the meter was silent. The dingy crain passes thru the deck and he tells me it will certainly be wet around that and when he placed the meter around the post it remains silent and his only reply is " Huh! "
A few days later I received a voicemail from the prospective buyer saying that that they decided to look for a boat that wasn't a sundeck.
My question is why would a broker drive 3 hours to preview a boat that was FSBO?
I welcome anyone who is interested in a very nice boat to have a look PERSONALLY.

My question is why would a broker drive 3 hours to preview a boat that was FSBO?/QUOTE]

Nice looking boat! Some buyers using a buyers broker will agree to pay their broker out of pocket when considering a FSBO boat. You, as the seller, need to ensure that the contract specifies who is paying the broker. If not specifically stated, you may end up with . . . issues after the sale. Speaking from personal experience.

Good luck with your sale! If your boat was 6 to 10 feet longer with commiserate price, we would be talking further!:D

Thank you Slowgoesit.
I see a 50' Kha Shing for sale on Craigslist south Florida.
Good luck with your search.
M.B.

I appreciate the assist, but that one appears to only sleep two. Looking for boat capable of sleeping 5 or 6 in permanent bunks. Ideal boat is a 48 Defever, or 49 Defever RPH (not all floor plans) but they've skyrocketed in asking price recently.

"This Trawler was built in Taiwan and built using (DIVINYCELL PVC FOAM as Core) in the decks, Stringers and everywhere core was needed so no rot."

Why the Foredeck moisture concern with the PVC Foam Core. There can be no rot on the Decks.
Or am I missing something ?

"This Trawler was built in Taiwan and built using (DIVINYCELL PVC FOAM as Core) in the decks, Stringers and everywhere core was needed so no rot."

Why the Foredeck moisture concern with the PVC Foam Core. There can be no rot on the Decks.

The way I read it was that he was concerned that the guy using the moisture meter was using it incorrectly.:angel:

There is a learning curve with moisture meters.

Captain Driftwood2,

Am I late to the party or is this beautiful kha shing still available?

We watched your video, then my wife made me sign up for the forum to reach out to you after I found this on google.

We are in Clearwater. We are looking. We are interested.

LeviGonzo

Captain Driftwood2,

Am I late to the party or is this beautiful kha shing still available?

We watched your video, then my wife made me sign up for the forum to reach out to you after I found this on google.

We are in Clearwater. We are looking. We are interested.

LeviGonzo
Thank you for the reply Levi Gonzo.
Yes I can show the boat at your convenience. After viewing the video on YouTube, scroll down to the comments to read the description and my contact information or just call me at 954 547 9172
baileym7255@gmail.com
Mark Bailey

A foam core can get wet, it just doesn't degrade like wood does. The only issue is in a freezing climate you can get expansion and cracking of the gel coat and from there you get more moisture. This moisture is not likely to cause a problem, but it can. This is all my opinion. Boston Whalers are cored with a closed cell foam. Through hulls allow water in. This water freezes and cracks not only the gel coat, but also the thin glass laminate. It is not uncommon for a whaler to gain as much a 10% or more of it hull weight in water. I have never seen a hull failure in a whaler than was not the result of misuse or collision. Foam cores can hold water that can cause cosmetic issues. I'll take it any day over balsa or a standard ply. There is no such thing as a dry whaler from the 80's and before.

This boat has many positives. The most important of which are the new fuel tanks. A single Lehman sure does make for a good bit of room in that very clean engine room. Northern lights get set with low hours- nice. Nice Trawler.

Last edited:
Kha Shing 40 SOLD

My Kha Shing was sold to a very beautiful family and will be lovingly cared for and used often. I would like to thank TF for the great response to my posted advertisment and to the people that responded.
Thank you
Mark Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom