Marinas/Slips with no waitlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Does anyone know of any marinas or municipal docks/harbors with no or minimal waitlist? Around a 49' loa Anywhere from PNW to south central Alaska. Liveaboard boat but access to bathroom and showers shoreside would be nice. I've already started emailing harbor masters but maybe someone here knows somewhere also? I know that's a big area. Thanks

Lots of vacancies (but not necessarily for liveaboards) here in Vallejo, central California. Doubt that helps you, however.

No wait list in the PNW is the holy grail. Add in liveaboard and it gets more challenging.

Your chances are better the further you get from major metro areas.

One method I've used in the past is to start up Google Earth or Google Maps and look for out if the way places. Call them, visit them. They'll be on the rough side.

Once you find someplace promising keep calling and visiting, in a friendly manner. It works.
Does anyone know of any marinas or municipal docks/harbors with no or minimal waitlist? Around a 49' loa Anywhere from PNW to south central Alaska. Liveaboard boat but access to bathroom and showers shoreside would be nice. I've already started emailing harbor masters but maybe someone here knows somewhere also? I know that's a big area. Thanks

Winter months would be tough with many marinas turning off water.

SE Alaska only has a few places due to the size of the fishing fleet. You might be able to rent a slip when the fishing boat heads south. Your best chance are K Town, Juneau, Sitka, maybe Wrangell or Petersburg.

If you are looking further north, Seward, Homer and Kodiak. But it gets a lot colder at these spots.

No wait list in the PNW is the holy grail. Add in liveaboard and it gets more challenging.

Your chances are better the further you get from major metro areas.

One method I've used in the past is to start up Google Earth or Google Maps and look for out if the way places. Call them, visit them. They'll be on the rough side

Once you find someplace promising keep calling and visiting, in a friendly manner. It works.

We are on the twoish year plan so we are just learning how all this works.

We prefer not to be in the metro areas but near enough to somewhere that at least one of us could work.

I have been doing that with google earth too, very useful to look around the area also.

Of course once they meet us, they'll want to give us the best liveboard slip they have. :pirate::lol:

SE Alaska only has a few places due to the size of the fishing fleet. You might be able to rent a slip when the fishing boat heads south. Your best chance are K Town, Juneau, Sitka, maybe Wrangell or Petersburg.

If you are looking further north, Seward, Homer and Kodiak. But it gets a lot colder at these spots.

I have emailed both the harbormasters at Seward and Sitka both about a two year waitlist for a slip. I have not looked into Homer yet. I know they usually have empty slips in the winter.

Tidewater Cove on the Columbia at Vancouver, WA is a relatively new marina that seemed to have a lot of vacancies when I was there earlier this year. Their advertisements don’t explicitly mention liveaboard arrangements but some of the reviews out there do. I do know that many of their slips will accommodate laaaarge yachts.

I’m in Seward...

Getting into a slip for the winter is pretty easy as a fair amount of the chareter boats get hauled for the winter.

Summer you would most likely be along the side tie dock with no power available.

A watermaker is a must as they turn off the water about now and do not turn it back on until mid April.

Water is available on the long dock but only at one spigot which they leave on all winter.

When we needed a live aboard slip a couple of years ago, we found a very nice marina with no wait list at Pleasant Harbor Marina (https://www.pleasantharbormarina.com/) on the Hood Canal.

That is a pretty good idea. They seem to be pretty quiet when crab and shrimp aren't in season. I bet they would love some steady year-round tenants. Nice little place, other than the whole "you can't get there from here" aspect.

I’m in Seward...

Getting into a slip for the winter is pretty easy as a fair amount of the chareter boats get hauled for the winter.

Summer you would most likely be along the side tie dock with no power available.

A watermaker is a must as they turn off the water about now and do not turn it back on until mid April.

Water is available on the long dock but only at one spigot which they leave on all winter.

Yes, I have been emailing the harbor office in Seward and she also mentioned summertime time transient slips can be had, if you don't mind moving around slips as boats depart and return to their assigned slips, and side tie first come, first serve not always water available dockside.
I think if we did Seward I would consider renting a place for the first winter.

Thanks

Yes, I have been emailing the harbor office in Seward and she also mentioned summertime time transient slips can be had, if you don't mind moving around slips as boats depart and return to their assigned slips, and side tie first come, first serve not always water available dockside.
I think if we did Seward I would consider renting a place for the first winter.

Thanks

Seward is pretty nice by Alaska winter standards. I spend a lot of time on my boat in the winter time here in Seward. It is a good get away from the frigid temperatures and snow at my house, and a great time to devote to boat projects.

If it were me in your shoes I would not choose the weather of anywhere in Coastal Alaska as a winter time live aboard if possible. Think rain like Seattle then at least double it. Many places in South East Alaska receive several times Seattles rainfall in the winter.

What you can expect in Seward is a climate approx ten degrees colder than Seattle on average with some real sold snaps thrown in for good measure.

It rains, then it snows, then is rains again and the snow melts. Then it gets REALLY COLD like in the teens and the north wind blows for several days. Then it rains again. There are not really any nice warm sunny days in the winter.

As far as the town, Seaward is like many towns in Coastal Alaska in the winter. This is small town life, and the harbors are their own micro community. There is a really good supermarket, and a couple of hardware stores, and a few restaurant's stay open all winter.

In the harbor there are probably a half dozen liveaboards spread out throughout the harbor. This a commercial fishing harbor and there are always fishing boats coming and going. Not the hustle and bustle of summer tourist season but you’re not totally alone either.

As far as your live aboard boat anywhere in Alaska you will need reliable diesel heat. There is no way to stay warm without it. Electric will not generate enough BTU’s to keep a boat from freezing up here. You will also need one or more good electric dehumidifiers. I keep two on my boat and the difference between 50% humidity and 90% is a world of difference. Keeping the humidity down keeps from having condensation on the inside of your boat.

Best of luck in your search :)

The harbormaster isn't a marina liaison. I'd be surprised how many, if any, actually respond. At best, you'll get a list of local marina's. You can get the same list from Active Captain.

This is simply going to require some calling around.
I would avoid volunteering too much information. Particularly whether you intend to live aboard. Especially in conjunction with questions like "Do you have bathroom and shower facilities". (Now they envision you 'moving in' to the public shared spaces. No joke, I was in a marina where the liveaboards kept their shower supplies and towels in the bath house like it was their personal bathroom).

Typically any obstacles or time to gett to open water will drive down rates and increase availability. For example, far up a river with a decent chug to open water. Any marinas that require that you traverse locks, drawbridges, or even a fixed bridge that requires some folks to time a tide will tend to have more availability. As will anyplace that is a trick to navigate too, with potential hazzards.

The harbormaster isn't a marina liaison. I'd be surprised how many, if any, actually respond. At best, you'll get a list of local marina's. You can get the same list from Active Captain.

This is simply going to require some calling around.
I would avoid volunteering too much information. Particularly whether you intend to live aboard. Especially in conjunction with questions like "Do you have bathroom and shower facilities". (Now they envision you 'moving in' to the public shared spaces. No joke, I was in a marina where the liveaboards kept their shower supplies and towels in the bath house like it was their personal bathroom).

Typically any obstacles or time to gett to open water will drive down rates and increase availability. For example, far up a river with a decent chug to open water. Any marinas that require that you traverse locks, drawbridges, or even a fixed bridge that requires some folks to time a tide will tend to have more availability. As will anyplace that is a trick to navigate too, with potential hazzards.

I do not think living aboard any boat that you are not comfortable bathing and using the head on day in and day out would be no fun at all. I cannot imagine anybody voluntarily choosing that lifestyle.

Having lived aboard in the PNW I second ksanders comments about heat, dehumidifier, functional shower and head.

I'll add a few more. Heated mattresses pads. The kind with a pre-heat function so you slide into a warm dry bed. Ventilation in the shower room. Even if you have to build it into a window. Something under the mattress. I found a thin foam sheet worked well. Frequently lift the mattress up during the day to let the moisture out. Leave drewers and locker doors cracked open. If you can leave wet gear on deck under cover. Keeping moisture at a minimum is to keep mold at bay. Once it gets a foothold you have a real battle on your hands.

Thanks Kevin, I did grow up in Seward, middle school, high school and then a few more years. I'm very familiar with snow rain freeze cycle. Living here in Vermont I keep track the Seward weather and alot of times in the winter it is colder here in Vermont than Seward or Homer. People laugh when they asked why I left Alaska, not many move to Vermont for shorter winters. lol I know I want diesel heat, generator, and water maker. I've been taking notes. I prefer to have a little activity around me in regards to the commercial fleet, thats the crowd I used to run with.

Try Blaine Marina, right on the Canadian Border, I've had a boat there for 15 years. They have lots of slips now because Canadians took their boats home to use during the summer because the border is closed due to the virus. They allow a percentage of Live aboard. Beautiful marina, nice small town, 20 miles north of Bellingham, Wa. Very convenient for cruising north of the border.

Try Shelter Island Marina in Vancouver BC.
It's near New Westminster on the south Fraser.

They have legal liveaboard, rates aren't awful for Vancouver.

Smaller communities I would try Ladysmith area.

The marina just down from ours has a 50 foot slip available (according to their sign), but I don't know if it's a liveaboard. It's the Port Orchard Railway Marina 360-876-2522.

Try Blaine Marina, right on the Canadian Border, I've had a boat there for 15 years. They have lots of slips now because Canadians took their boats home to use during the summer because the border is closed due to the virus. They allow a percentage of Live aboard. Beautiful marina, nice small town, 20 miles north of Bellingham, Wa. Very convenient for cruising north of the border.

I will second Blaine Marina. Roland Montoure was great to work with there. My boat partner and I got our 50 foot LOA boat in there on short notice. If he doesn’t have a slip right away, he will normally be able to get you a side tie with power and water. Water may be shut off during the occasional brief cold weather outbreaks. Blaine Harbor is operated by the Port of Bellingham.

https://www.portofbellingham.com/197/About-Blaine-Harbor

Live aboard

Hi
Shilshole often has sublets that could be liveaboard. They are in Seattle. Then south Seattle on Duomish River, and Bremerton.

There is an unoccupied buoy for mooring next to me, at Bainbridge Island Open Water mooring. I think it is for boats up to 50’. (It seems, there is another for up to 60’, as well) Check with the Harbor Master, if it is available for rent? Live aboard included year round. Very affordable place. Shower/restroom on shore for tenants included. Pump out free. Water free. You can dock at the City dock, but you have to pay and 3 nights limit. Ferry terminal to Seattle is 10 min walk.

Yes, you have to dinghy out to shore.....

Try Railway Marina in Port Orchard. 360-876-2522 They have a 53' slip

Double check please, before you get excited. That sign was up there on the board for more than 3 years. I tried to get that slip, but I was not successful. Nobody answered my phone calls.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, that gives me hope that if we do decide on that area we should be able to find something to work with. I was worried about having a extremely hard time finding a slip. Luckily we are flexible and I really dont mind some commercial traffic around us either.

Sublets are a great way to get "in" to a marina. We took a 60' sublet from a YC friend in Shilshole and it quickly converted to a direct lease (within a few months). Shilshole manages a list of tenants and subleases pretty well, other marina's we've tried are less organized, don't know what is coming and when or as LeoKa mentioned, some never call you back.

I know a few full timers who hop from sublease to sublease. Spending time in the Lake or around Seattle in the summer when others are up in the Islands and Alaska then switch and head north to Friday Harbor or Blaine or the Kitsap Peninsula in the winter when lower rate moorage opens up. We'll probably do something like that ourselves in a few years once we're done with the refit and before we head off cruising. It would be fun mixing in a lot of anchoring in between.

For now we love Shilshole for its community, it's proximity to Ballard and Seattle not to mention easy access to marine trades and suppliers while we get this old girl ship shape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom