Tracvision not compatible with HD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ci

Has anyone else lost directv service due to SD signal being obsolete?

We have trac vision 4, which does not support hd signal. Upon doing some research it appears trac vision 7 is the only system capable of HD.

Today we lost all of our directv service. I spoke with directv and was told we needed an HD satellite and receiver. An $11,000.00 upgrade.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

Yes, I use a ViewCube from our rving days. It can’t tune in HD channels which wasn’t a problem years ago but now there are fewer and fewer regular and HD channels available.

Has anyone else lost directv service due to SD signal being obsolete?

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

This problem started years ago when Direct, then Dish, changed the format of their HD signals (Ka band, vs., Ku band, not compatible with KVH M antennas). At that time, SD signals were not affected, but the plan was to shift to exclusively HD. However, not being satisfied with SD, we were forced to upgrade from a relatively new KVH M7. Dealing with KVH in the issue at the time left such a bad taste in my mouth that we switch to the comparable HD Intellian. No problems with the Intellian.

I knew this was coming-bought this boat 2 yrs ago with Trac4 & SD box -couldn’t transfer to me ‘cause DTV was switching to HD for all new accounts. I asked them at that time when only HD signal would become standard ( knowing the Trac4 would also need replacing.) Lots of hesitation but finally admitted 6 mos, possibly 2-3 yrs.
Agree the 7 is $$$, gotta be some newer, smaller & cheaper units coming on stream for KVH I would think.

I am pretty sure what happened is Directv changed the signal format on the 101 satellite from MPEG2 TO MPEG4 which made your receiver obsolete. The KVH terminal can only acquire and track an MPEG2 signal so that means a "forklift" upgrade so to speak.

I knew this was coming-bought this boat 2 yrs ago with Trac4 & SD box -couldn’t transfer to me ‘cause DTV was switching to HD for all new accounts. I asked them at that time when only HD signal would become standard ( knowing the Trac4 would also need replacing.) Lots of hesitation but finally admitted 6 mos, possibly 2-3 yrs.
Agree the 7 is $$$, gotta be some newer, smaller & cheaper units coming on stream for KVH I would think.

I just ran through all this recently. See link below.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/directv-kvh-50221.html

Yes, there is and has been for years, Intellian for Dish TV. It works. Plus, as one moves on the water, local stations can be received through a simple update on the Dish TV app. Ditch Direct TV, get an Intellian with Dish TV service and enjoy. The cost of the service is about the same plus, if you get a Dish RV account, you will be able to suspend service for those off-season months when you are not cruising. It's truly a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom