Electric scooters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
Hi gang,
A lot of places we visit require some form of shore transportation. Walking won't quite get you everywhere. While bikes would be fine, they're a little bulky. An electric scooter seems to be the perfect light weight, compact, option; some with 9+ mile ranges. Space is of course at a premium on the boat, the dinghy is small, and the ability to hand- carry your transportation into a store seems invaluable. Who has a pint size electric scooter that folds up nicely? Are you happy with it? Did it cost a mint?

Cheers
Gabe and Em

Last edited:
I would also like an electric scooter, but less concerned about size and more concerned about range. Recently bought an electric outboard which will let me comfortably cruise around 4 knots for 8 hours. While it was pricey, it seems there should be an equal market in scooters for those that want more range and a little more speed.

Ted

I've come to the same conclusion regarding bikes vs. scooters. If I was 40 years younger, I would certainly have a Big Wheel. 18 miles on a charge? Segway smart operation? Seems like a no-brainer if you have the tolerance for falling now and then. Today, scooter all the way.

I have a couple of GoTrax scooters onboard. They worked great for the first year, but the batteries are pretty well shot and I ordered a Rad Mini folding bike as a bigger, more capable replacement. We'll see how that experiment goes...

Pros: small, fun!, relatively light, easy to put in the dinghy, fold them up and bring them in a grocery store on the cart so they don't get stolen, cheap.

Cons: limited cargo carrying capacity (backpack), gotta kick going up steep hills, no good on unpaved roads

Mind the capacity specs when you shop for scooters. If you're under 120# you're fine with just about all of the entry-level models. But if you're heavier... both speed and range will be impacted. If you're over 200# the basic ones won't even get you up a hill.

The eMove Cruiser and Touring are about your best all-around electric scooters. Enough capacity, enough speed and enough range for most recreational use.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got a few to look at.

I would sacrifice range for weight. Realistically, if we're going more than 5 miles from the boat, it's going to require a car. How often can you go that far without getting on a highway?

Last time I was on one of those was in Los Angeles, and I had an absolute blast. That is until I took a curb at the wrong angle and yeeted myself, lolz.

...I still kinda want one.

Also... Holy crap, some of them go 50+ MPH??! That seems like a terrible idea.

Attachments

• SKNEE.jpg
    SKNEE.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 42
I thought Rob, on Ka Why Knot, would jump in here with a comment....

��

Also... Holy crap, some of them go 50+ MPH??! That seems like a terrible idea.

I agree. I've had my Mantis up to 27mph (it can go 35+) and any faster would NOT be pleasant to have a fall. I wear a full-face mountain bike helmet when riding it.

I've seen too many posts where folks have suffered facial/cranial injuries at speed. It's important to realize the small tires on scooters will not handle the kinds of bumps/cracks/potholes a bike might. Though, they're not as bad as a skateboard or in-line skates.

The Troy Lee fits better on my large noggin, and has adjustable pads all around. Some other brands were uncomfortably close around the cheek/jaw area. You want the helmet to be snug, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0845VK3GR

For regular biking I wear a Bontrager wavecel helmet.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...r-rally-wavecel-mountain-bike-helmet/p/31564/

I have a couple of GoTrax scooters onboard. They worked great for the first year, but the batteries are pretty well shot and I ordered a Rad Mini folding bike as a bigger, more capable replacement. We'll see how that experiment goes...

Pros: small, fun!, relatively light, easy to put in the dinghy, fold them up and bring them in a grocery store on the cart so they don't get stolen, cheap.

Cons: limited cargo carrying capacity (backpack), gotta kick going up steep hills, no good on unpaved roads

I also have a GoTrax. Researched them a bit. Best bang for buck. Mine was $300 after rebate. folds up nicely. One of the selling points was GoTrax uses an LG battery-- which i presumed would hold up better than generic crap. So far no issues. 15mph, 22mile range. Replacement batteries $75.

These look great. I just looked at the go trax again. They look like the right balance of weight, range, and price. Anyone have any similar options to weigh in with? I'd go up in price a little for a stronger motor I think

I’d go up in price for bigger and wider tires and wheels.

I have a Segway Ninebot ES3.
I love it !

It is a little heavy at 29 lbs. If I did it again I might get the ES2 which does not have the extra battery that mine does, probably saves 5 lbs. I don't need the 28 mile range. I use mine all the time for short trips and only have to charge it every 3 or 4 weeks.

Next time I might also look for pneumatic tires, the solids can be deadly with bumps and loose gravel.
I have only been down once in the year and a half I have owned it but margaritas were involved.

These look great. I just looked at the go trax again. They look like the right balance of weight, range, and price. Anyone have any similar options to weigh in with? I'd go up in price a little for a stronger motor I think
I think the Xiomi's were my second pick. They make the ones you'd normally rent in LA and other cities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom