Any OC Tender Owners Out There?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
We're pretty close to pulling the trigger on an OC Tender 350 to ship from NZ to Seattle in April. Before we shell out some significant boat bucks I wanted to see if any trawler owners out there run these tenders.

This is the model we're interested in: https://octenders.co.nz/products-oc350/

Attachments

• Delivered-in-Seattle.jpg
    Delivered-in-Seattle.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 141
I seen a two so far this summer. One was on a 45+ Sailboat from Hawaii, the other is attached in the pic. I think its a perfect PNW dink, hard bottom, light, tall sides, light, can cut through some chop, light, Dry ride, light.
Hard to believe that the PNW has not made something like this years ago with all of our Boeing tec and Carbon fiber stuff. I have talked to OC about getting one, but its a little over what I am willing to pay at the moment, exp with shipping. Might do it after we get our next boat. They say they are working on getting a rep in the area

We were out in the bay and our 8-8 rib has a 15hp Honda, The OC had about a 8hp and was prob a 10 footer. We were doing the same speed flat out. His dink is probably 1/2 the weight of mine.

Attachments

• image003 (002).jpg
    image003 (002).jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
These look like a nice hard-dinghy solution. Like Ron, I'm surprised that they haven't caught on better. I've never seen one in service. Maybe it's a price thing.

From what I have gathered its about 9-10k delivered for the OC 3000. Weighs about 95lb, can take a 8hp engine.

On the same note a Zodiac Cadet Rib 300 Aluminum is about 2k, Weights about 95lb and can take up to a 15hp. And I can pick it up in Seattle tomorrow.

Right now we have a 07 Silver Marine Tender that's about 8-8 with a double fiberglass bottom, center council and a Honda 15hp with electric start, tilt, lights, 3 gallon center tank. I don't care for the Center council as it weighs a lot. It also has no provisions to tow it.

One thing that intrigues us is the sailing version. Takes the utility tender and converts it an additional water toy when you're on anchor.

We have a Bullfrog now. Great dinghy, pretty indestructible but it's small at 10'. Add two adults, two large dogs and there's little room left for groceries or gear (crap pots), etc.

The dingy on our boat stores forward of the pilothouse and is launched and retrieved using a winch and a traveler the main mast so the lighter the better.

From what I understand these are all hand made in NZ and shipped to the end customer which certainly adds to the cost. We're in Seattle and they ship full containers to ports like Seattle, Miami, etc lowering the shipping cost if you can wait until the next container leaves NZ.

I hear you on cost, etc but still, we're curios and since it'll be "the car" we want to make this decisions once.

Last edited:
One thing that intrigues us is the sailing version. Takes the utility tender and converts it an additional water toy when you're on anchor.

We have a Bullfrog now. Great dinghy, pretty indestructible but it's small at 10'. Add two adults, two large dogs and there's little room left for groceries or gear (crap pots), etc.

The dingy on our boat stores forward of the pilothouse and is launched and retrieved using a winch and a traveler the main mast so the lighter the better.

From what I understand these are all hand made in NZ and shipped to the end customer which certainly adds to the cost. We're in Seattle and they ship full containers to ports like Seattle, Miami, etc lowering the shipping cost if you can wait until the next container leaves NZ.

I hear you on cost, etc but still, we're curios and since it'll be "the car" we want to make this decisions once.

I agree, they are very nice, and we will probably get one with our next boat.

Crazy money for a not overly light boat.

Back in my sailing cat days I made a rough and ready incredibly stable and unsinkable 3m flat bottom punt in a weekend out of 4mm and 6mm gaboon ply, epoxy and PVC tube for the gunwhale and rubbing strakes.
Probably cost about $500 in material today and weighed in at about the same as an OC tender (8x4 sheet of 6mm gaboon is 21lb)

3m OC tender cost more than we paid for our our 4.2m aluminium dory with a 30hp suzuki and trailer

Last edited:

Which is exactly why we got rid of our 2.4m fiberglas inflateble tender the 3.4m v-nose punt in alloy tender and eventually decided that 4.2m alloy dory was the perfect size.

We’ll we ordered the 350. Should be built in November/December and arrive in Anacortes in January. We’re really looking forward to this tender.

We originally planned to wait for their sailing version but the longer timeline and projected price (2X plus the price of the 350) tempered our enthusiasm.

We’ll we ordered the 350. Should be built in November/December and arrive in Anacortes in January. We’re really looking forward to this tender.

We originally planned to wait for their sailing version but the longer timeline and projected price (2X plus the price of the 350) tempered our enthusiasm.

Congrats !

Maybe you should have just got something custom built? There are builders in Anacortes who could turn something like that out for less than that even one-off.

I was intrigued by them too, but worried a bit about durability in the PNW rockscape. The Bullfrog is very heavy, but as close to indestructible as a boat can be.

Maybe you should have just got something custom built? There are builders in Anacortes who could turn something like that out for less than that even one-off.

I was intrigued by them too, but worried a bit about durability in the PNW rockscape. The Bullfrog is very heavy, but as close to indestructible as a boat can be.

The bullfogs are cool, but at 225lb its a bit heavy for most.

Can you please not wake us too much while we're at anchorage, I can just see it now you playing with your new toy zipping around the bay. :p

I have no experience with them, but saw one on a big sailing cat about a month ago. I thought it was so cool looking I kept staring at it with my big binoculars, till my wife got mad at me for being a creep. So be warned, you may notice an uptick in people watching you. I think it is going to be great.

Our OC350 is on a container ship, Seattle bound. Hoping to pick up later this month.

This will be the closest we ever get to our new “boat” arriving by ship! ;)

IMG_7031.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

IMG_7033.jpg

Congratulations. I’ve looked at those for some time and have suggested more than once that folks in the market for a dinghy take a look. Since you can now get space in a container, the price is a bit better than than when I first priced them.

I’ve seen a few on the east coast but hadn’t the opportunity to chat with the owners. I’m impressed with them and like how it’s a small family run business in NZ. If I tire of our present Fatty Knees, the OC would be my next.

Quick update for anyone interested. We took delivery of our OC Tender (OC350) a few weeks back and it’s been a terrific decision for us.

Getting on and off the boat is much easier (it’s much lighter than the bullfrog), it’s very stable and easily cruises around 18 knots at about 2/3 throttle (15 hp Yammy) and goes 23 knots at full tilt.

5614ca42-662e-4837-8db0-a16e9d72bba8.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

RenderedImage.jpg

63883828199__A834168E-EAB7-46B5-8B6B-E8F2C2885377.fullsizerender.jpg

63883831936__667D8532-6AD2-435D-9B51-5781085F80BF.fullsizerender.jpg

That’s great to hear. As I said, if/when I’m in the market that’s my top tender contender.

Quick update for anyone interested. We took delivery of our OC Tender (OC350) a few weeks back and it’s been a terrific decision for us.

Getting on and off the boat is much easier (it’s much lighter than the bullfrog), it’s very stable and easily cruises around 18 knots at about 2/3 throttle (15 hp Yammy) and goes 23 knots at full tilt.

View attachment 116263

View attachment 116264

View attachment 116265

View attachment 116266

View attachment 116267

Were you in Poulsbo Easter weekend?
Seen one like that at the dock.

I saw you ripping around the bay in your new OC, sure looks like a lot of fun!

Do they make a bigger console version? Too many hours for me twisted around on prior outboards.

They now make an electric jet drive version. Looks pretty neat, probably even more pricey.

Do they make a bigger console version? Too many hours for me twisted around on prior outboards.

Its not what you are asking for (console), but if you want to solve the issue of twisted sideways you might want to take a look at something I posted a question about yesterday.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/polycraft-300-dingy-62599.html

The issue to point out is the rear seating. You sit beside the engine controls. Might involve "some" twisting, but less than sitting on a RIB tube.

For what its worth. I just stumbled on that one last night and am still trying to learn more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom