View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Buddy_Y

City: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
To our Canadian neighbors, if Canadians are buying boats site unseen, why not buy a US boat and pay a captain to bring the boat to Canada. We are thinking seriously about selling our 1983 DeFever 44 next fall or winter but we could be persuaded to sell now.
Thanks for the offer! But a DeFever 44 would be too much boat for our region, where the marinas are closed half the year.

Having a captain bring a boat to Canada is a possibility that I have seen discussed in other internet contexts, and it certainly has an appeal given that I have seen some bargains in US towns in Michigan and New York State that are literally within sight of Canada. But I'm not certain about the regulations.

The key reason that I have not (yet) investigated that option is a pragmatic one. How many times does a potential buyer go to see a boat that they feel certain that they are going to buy, based on an ad and phone discussions with the seller, only to discover upon actually inspecting the boat in person that it is not suitable? I purchased two boats in the past, and the shopping ratio both times was: two hundred boats seen online, twenty boats seen in person, two boats gone to survey, one boat purchased. Thus, without being able to cross the border to personally inspect boats in the US, I'd have a hard time justifying buying one.

But if, say, next spring Covid still has the border locked down and there's no end in sight, then I think that shopping remotely in the States is definitely going to be an option to pursue.
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote