Dry Bilge system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmw

Maybe I'm the last to know about this but I was at the boatyard when I saw a Seaflo dry bilge sitting there. Much less expensive than others I've seen at the boat shows. One thing I noticed, I don't see anything about ignition protection for the pump. I'm a diesel boat so I'm not sure it matters for me but it should to any gasoline boat.

https://www.seaflo.us/product/dry-bilge-system/#tab-common_tab

Anyone familiar with it?

I saw that system also. Been thinking about installing one but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

DIY Arid Bilge or Dry Bilge System

Pura Vida, Thanks for sharing. I now know what the project is going to be this weekend.

Ohana Kai
I too have the parts and it will be an over the winter upgrade

I like dry bilges and just sop up the remaining little bit with a towel.

I built one last month. I used a larger sponge and larger semi enclosed plastic piece. It also has 2 weights attached to keep it settled. Works great. I have a very long flat bilge so I run it 4 times a day for like 10 minutes. Works excellent.

Where's everyone's water coming from?

Old boats often have very difficult to find leaks along toe rails, high gunnel hardware, wind driven rain and engine room vents, some anchor lockers drain there, hard to find supply plumbing leaks, sink/shower drain leaks, shaft logs, rudder logs, deck fills, old screw holes into a false bilge flooded by rotten shaft logs.......

Sure...find it and fix it...but another overlaps or starts soon enough. Why that nice link might be on a sailboat blog...some mast designs are difficult to keep sealed where they enter the cabin top....pus other sources as listed above

Last edited:
Boaters have always had a challenge to keep their bilges dry; and for good reason. Water in a bilge, is one of the predominant problems yacht owners face. try to Build Your Own DIY Arid Bilge or Dry Bilge System.The solution is simple: installing a dry bilge system. A system like this will eliminate these ailments by keeping your bilge dry.

Maybe I'm the last to know about this but I was at the boatyard when I saw a Seaflo dry bilge sitting there. Much less expensive than others I've seen at the boat shows. One thing I noticed, I don't see anything about ignition protection for the pump. I'm a diesel boat so I'm not sure it matters for me but it should to any gasoline boat.

Anyone familiar with it?

I am presently installing their system in my diesel sportfish, but have a couple of dockmates who are planning to install them in their gas boats. I contacted SeaFlo and received this reply:

"Yes the DBS is ignition protected so it can be mounted in the engine room. You also have the option to put it up in the cabin for easy use and programming. I have seen them installed in quite a few places in boats.
Have a great day."

So yes, the system is safe for use in gas boats.:thumb:

I went ahead and ordered one today and will install it over the winter.

Panbo website also has a good article on DIY'ing a dry bildge setup like the ones above.

I have the Seaflo and the one from Dry Bilge Systems. I would highly recommend the Dry Bilge Systems or building your own. The Seaflo has some weird design choices that are irritating. It can’t detect water and runs on a pre set schedule which is the worst part of it. It to also huge and loud.

Following...using the the aircon always causes the bilge pump to run, but once it quits the flowback from the higher thruhull always leaves our deep andnarrow bilge with about 1" of water in it. Great idea!

These systems (dyi) are great for compartments that have condensate problems, e.g. rudder Lazarettes with cooler water and moist warm air collecting condensate like a solar still. I seen a friend make one using a soft stone (soap stone) that he cut grooves in the bottom of the soap stone that lead/radiated to a central point where the suction hose port tap was. This eliminated sponge rot and was self weighting.
He sourced the pumps on Ebay, or marine shops using decarded shurflo auto sensing diaphragm pumps with failed sensors however they still worked. He just bypassed the sensor and used a cheap programable dc timer as done by the dyi guy.

Last edited:
In another boat, my partner bought a "dry bilge" system. It was an absolute PITA, didn't work well and ended up just not using it. Also, it's just a band aid for perhaps something that should be fixed.

Just sponge the occasionally drops up and continue on....

If it's really leaking bad, fix it.

I have a wood boat that doesn't leak but prone to some moisture in the bilge. I power vent my bilge areas with bilge blowers and a rheostat in line to run the blowers at a very low speed. Replacement air comes from the cabins and is usually below 50% humidity rain or shine. I liveaboard and run a stove in the winter. Bilge is dry and boat smells like a house.

+1 for Seaflo DryBilge System

Anyone familiar with it?

YES! I have deployed this this season, and also referred it to a dock mate. We are both very happy with our investments.

Yes. Reasonably priced.
4-starts instead of 5: I did have a difficult time with both the strainer that is included, as well as the "through box" fitting for the suction side of this device. Both were reducing the reliability of the self-priming nature of this device as designed.
SO, I just skipped the strainer, and by-passed the thru-box-fitting... today the same tube runs from the bottom of the bilge (where the pickup filter is) plugs DIRECTLY into the pump inside the enclosure. It is now 100% reliable as there is no place to loose suction. My dock mate did not report these problems with reliable suction through those fittings.
If the pump fails in a few years, I will buy another. I actually may buy another for a second spot on our boat that can benefit from this type of thing.

I first learned of this product at the New York Boat Show last January. (Remember boat shows!?). They had them cash and carry for $100. I was kicking myself for not buying TWO. Not a bad bargain at what they otherwise sell for. Excellent customer service by the way for follow up questions after the sale.

We purchased the Arid Dry system for the following reason;
Bilge pumps are cheap and very effective for quickly removing a large volume of bilge water. Kind of like an Arnold Schwarzenegger solution to a very small problem, as the vast majority of boats pocket very small amounts of water at several different locations. Whether it’s a rubber lobe, a centrifugal or a diaphragm bilge pump, they all have a couple of things in common: They pump water, but are not designed to move air with the water. So, their efficiency drops dramatically, once air touches the pump. Obviously, they are not able to remove all of the water, therefore, the average pump will leave about one inch of water behind, when it cycles off. This is how they are designed and there is nothing wrong with your bilge pump, so don’t complain that there’s some water left as the bilge pump manufacturers will tell you that this is normal. The general rule seems to be that the larger the pump, the faster the flow, but this results in higher levels of residual bilge water. The smaller the pump, the slower the flow, with generally less residual water. Bilge pumps are best described as a safety product because they are able to maintain vessel trim and floatation, in the event of a failure that allows water to flood into your bilges. Every boat needs at least one operational pump on board before leaving the dock.

The Arid Bilge System, on the other hand, removes water slower than a traditional bilge pump. It is correctly designed and sized for the average daily bilge water that finds its way into the vessel.

Why: Instead of pumping the water, it suctions the liquids, similar to the common wet vac. The Arid Bilge vacuums residual bilge water with negative air pressure, and continues to pull the water even as air starts to move through the intake tubes. This system even pulls drops of H2O, bringing the bilge water level down to a sheen that evaporates completely dry within 20 minutes. The Arid Bilge pick-up sucker acts like a weighted filtered sponge, absorbing all of the remaining water down to nothing, directing it to the small capillary intake tubing for the trip to the central Arid Bilge unit, where the thinking is done inside the box. Here, the traditional float switch has been replaced with a pair of vacuum switches. These virtual float switches that never touch water, allow the microprocessor to sense the resistance created by the water, which is being pulled through the 20 foot minimum length of intake tubing. Once air is suctioned through the intake tubing, the resistance falls and the system will pause on that zone (or zones) for three hours, before resuming. If a larger volume of water suddenly enters the compartment within the rest cycle, the standard bilge pumps are there to prevent a more serious problem. The longevity of the Arid Bilge System, which uses mere milliamps, is enhanced by the fact that water never travels through the system’s vacuum pump, and never comes in contact with the virtual float (vacuum) switches. This is the right tool for the job, if you want 100% dusty dry bilges.

As to how does the water get in the bilge, for yrs I thought it was a leak due to rain.

Found out it was a leaking elbow for 1 of the engine strainer. For 10yrs. We were lucky it didn't turn worse but finding a leak there necessitated a repair on both strainers. I'm over-cautious, what I do to 1 side I do to the other.

Elbows replaced on both sides, no more WET bilge, it seems, but I still am not sorry to have a pickup in the shower sump. The Arid Dry has a pickup in both locations, bilge & shower sump.

While it only uses milliamps I still put an on/off switch in the installation. I'll use it when I feel it's necessary.

WET towels turn to mildew if not dried immediately. Towels need to be pulled from the bilge, dripping WET, thru the boat, to get to a point to wring out, so now there is another mess to clean up. Multiple trips are possible to remove an 1" of water. Towels are nice to dry you, but not so much the bilge.

The last thing to mention is will the DIY dry bilge product notice if you have oil or fuel in the bilge? Arid Dry can.

DIY is always DIY and not always engineered to be the best alternative, just the cheapest. I guess it always boils down to what is important, boat safety or saving a couple of bucks. That's my feeling anyway.

I just bought the Seaflo system. The price is reasonable. Maybe it won’t be the absolute best system out there but if it works half as good as people say I will be happy. Compared to the Arid Dry there isn’t any comparison since the Arid Dry systems start at $875 and go up into the thousands of dollars. I wouldn’t spend even the $875 so any of their systems was out of the question. I will install the Seaflo system this winter and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom