Proud deck seams need trimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
I have recently looked at a GB Classic with teak decks. All the bungs were in place unlike other boats I have inspected over the past year. The problem was that the seams were a bit too high. I think if you put too much pressure or drag on them with your shoes they may start to rip out of their groove. So what is the best way/best tool to use to trim these "proud "seams?
Thanks again.

When we recaulked our teak deck after filling the seam with caulk we removed the tape. After the caulk had dried we sanded the seam smooth and then sealed the teak. So depending on the finish you may be able to just sand them smooth and then reseal the teak. If the teak is varnished then sanding might ruin the varnish.

Just buy a packet of razor blades, the ones with the reinforced back and one blade, then just get on your knees and push the blade along the top of the seams. Does a fine job and avoids sanding, which will take years off your teak decks. Takes no time at all.

The problem is that any work on teak decks is done on your knees.

Teak deck seams

When we bought our ‘03 42’ Europa all the seams were proud. If you take a really close look you’re probably find the bonds between the seam & teak plant partially compromised. Translation: gaps between the seam & teak plank. We used Jeff Gibbs Teak, known you be the best re-seamer in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
They pulled the seam on the outermost board manually & then used that seam as a reference & used a custom adjustable fence to guide a feintool router and removed all material. To prep the seam before caulk they cleaned the seam with acetone and then laid a thin paper strip in the opened seam. This insures that when the deck works there is equal pulling force in the bond. After completing a large area they applied sealant over the entire deck similar to applying grout over tile. When fully cured they used that wonderful feintool sander and lightly sanded all the caulk down to the teak. A remarkable process.

Another member in our club had a Grand Banks 42 and he ripped all the decks off and replaced with synthetic teak. What struck me was how difficult it was to rip up the old teak. It was solidly glued to the deck. That convinced me that Grand Banks laid the deck into thick adhesive and the screws were to used to secure the deck into the adhesive. One secured the screws are a irrelevant as long as the teak deck has not been compromised with water getting under the deck and compromising bond.
Similar to my boat, your bangs are in good shape so they’re not popping out, so there’s no concern about the screws being loosened. The trick is to keep the seam integrity.
I apologize for the detailed report but wanted to give you some insight regarding how the GB teak deck is constructed.
By the way, Jeff Gibbs was absolutely insistent, emphatically so, DO NOT CLEAN teak decks with teak cleaner. Do not oil. The wood is oily enough. He said the best cleaner to keep teak decks healthy is salt water. If you absolutely must remove some of the surface grime he recommended cascade dishwashing detergent crystals. It doesn’t destroy the teak/caulk seem integrity. The reason your teak seams are proud is the decks have been cleaned often. When you clean teak decks you’ll see, even with salt water w/ light brush and nothing else, the water runoff is brown. That is dirt AND teak pulp going down the drain.

Attachments

• A9D26303-9EF5-4B6D-AC23-CFF111A86C72.jpg
    A9D26303-9EF5-4B6D-AC23-CFF111A86C72.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DF9BB2A8-C50E-4F15-8954-129CCF6838FE.jpg
    DF9BB2A8-C50E-4F15-8954-129CCF6838FE.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 5389FAFB-4DED-4040-83BB-A7C8475D4E7F.jpg
    5389FAFB-4DED-4040-83BB-A7C8475D4E7F.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 9A6C354B-ACEE-4843-9AC5-FC8C9669595A.jpg
    9A6C354B-ACEE-4843-9AC5-FC8C9669595A.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 19
Just buy a packet of razor blades, the ones with the reinforced back and one blade, then just get on your knees and push the blade along the top of the seams. Does a fine job and avoids sanding, which will take years off your teak decks. Takes no time at all.

This ^

Sorry- got carried away.

All good stuff. Thanks so much for your replies. Makes for a great forum and that's why I continually ask for all your advice.

I bought a mini hand plain. I then put a piece of masking tape on each side of the plain so it would not cut the teak. Twice as fast as a razer in hand. But I do admit it does not cut it flush, there is still a very very small bit sticking up.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15
Teak deck re- seam

Care to ballpark the cost?

I purchased the boat in California. Cruised from San Francisco to Ensenada, loaded on a ship to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Where is was docked for 2 months. That’s where the work was done. In the spring we brought her ho e to NJ.

Since the Boat would be see freezing temperatures in winter. My concern was if water got under the deck it could pop boards.

The total cost was $15K.

Money well spent.

Fein multi-tool w/rigid scraper blade (I cut mine down so blade is only about 1.5" wide). Keep blade sharp. Cuts proud caulk like butter without cutting into wood - does take a bit of practice...but I'm 85% through re-caulking teak decks on my 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic. So plenty of practice! Search my posts for more details and photos.

Back
Top Bottom