Head not pumping out :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike3888

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Happy Happy
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3888 1989 gas
We have a bayliner 3888 with 2 manual flush heads. We had a fart blocker on the vent line from the holding tank. Thought that was possibly clogged up so removed it and ran a completely new vent line from the tank to the vent. Still it would not pump out? Ran a snake for the pumpout line to see if there was an issue there.

The only way we can get the poopwater to leave the holding tank is if we put a vacuum on blow in form the vent line. Then the contents in holding tank will SLOWLY leave the tank. Took like 2 hours to empty the holding tank (its about 60 gals).

Any thoughts on why the pumpout is not getting the poopwater out without us helping it with pressure to the vent line?

I am a little suspect about our pumpout at our marine but other folks have had success with their pumpouts???

There is no overboard valve just the lines in from the two heads, the vent line and the pumpout line..

Anyone got any thoughts I have hit the wall, but at least the holding tank is only holding fabuloss and about 2 gals of water. I have told everyone the heads are closed until we can get the pumpout situation corrected.

Pending any guidance..please!

Mike and the admiral Karen

Greetings,
Mr. M. If you've snaked all the lines, then pretty well the ONLY restriction left would be the pick-up tube inside the tank. Have you tried a different pump out facility as opposed to your marina?

Last edited:
Did you switch the Y- valve to the correct position? Any loose connections that may be causing the lack of vacuum? Are you getting a good seal at the connection on your boat?

I was going to do that this weekend. Where would the pickup line be in the tank.
It looks like the line going out from the tank to the pumpout is at the bottom of the tank. Is there a pickup of some sort in the tank itself?

I Don't have a y valve, that I know of .. or can see. The deckhands are saying it my system but I just don't see where it could be...

Replace the throughull for the holding tank vent. It's not the line, it's the vent throughhull.

I had this happen years ago on a gas powered boat. I could not fill the gas tank to save my life. Squeeze...burp, squeeze...burp. I couldn't get in more than a gallon.

I was going to pull the vent line, but before doing so, I did a little test. I wrapped my mouth around the vent through hull and attempted to blow it. It was plugged solid. I tried a few more times and 'boom' all of a sudden pressurized gas vapor came out of the vent line like a steam kettle. After that I could fill the fuel tank. I got home and replaced the vent thorugh hull.

This particular vent throughhull had a mesh screen that was completely corroded. You probably have a similar issue with your holdling tank through hull.

I was going to do that this weekend. Where would the pickup line be in the tank.
It looks like the line going out from the tank to the pump out is at the bottom of the tank. Is there a pickup of some sort in the tank itself?

I wouldn't think there is more than one pick up to empty. If if have a macerator than you should have a Y-valve. Are you getting a good fit/ seal at the pumpout fitting on the boat? There isn't much more to it than proper connections to create a vacuum without obstructions

Last edited:
Will replaced the throughhull. But I had pulled it out before and taken the screen out and cleaned it. Also when I had the vent line loose (not attached to the thru hull) it still was having issues pumping out, unless I put the vacuum on blow. I will check that again before I go to the other marina

It looks like the line going out from the tank to the pumpout is at the bottom of the tank. Is there a pickup of some sort in the tank itself?

Since the hose connecting the tank to the deck fitting is connected at the bottom of the tank, there is no need for a pickup tube.

You replaced the vent hose but there could be a blockage in the thru-hull vent fitting. It’s not uncommon for insects to block the fitting. Mud dauber wasps are the most common culprit.

"Also when I had the vent line loose (not attached to the thru hull) it still was having issues pumping out, unless I put the vacuum on blow" Check ALL the hose clamps for tightness and the hoses for splits/punctures..vacuum is key.

On the vent fitting on the hull there is no need for a screen, so I would get rid of the screen. Every time you pump out you should flush water back into the tank through the vent so you will keep it free from clogs.

A simple way to get a good seal on the deck pump out fitting is to slowly run water around where the hose is connected to the pump out fitting. If there is a vacuum leak then it will suck in water rather than air. Have you tried flushing water back into the tank through the pump out fitting? That will tell you if there is a clog at the tank where the pump out hose connects to the tank. Maybe give it a good shot to unplug anything stuck in the hose...

Will for use check all of that.
I was able to put about half a bottle of fabulous and four or 5 gals on water down the pumpout line. Nothing backed up. After the pain in the butt it was to pumpout I did not want to refill the tank. So I stopped with just that. Again nothing backed up. I had also ran a snake all the way to the tank..

I am going to pull the vent line at the tank and the thru hull fitting to see if maybe I missed something??? It seems like a simple system don't know why it is being a pain in the butt!

I missed the part where you replaced the vent thru-hull. In that case I suggest you remove the vent hose and make sure the fitting on the tank is clear.

If that doesn’t solve it look into replacing the tank to deck hose. It is possible that an inner lamination in the hose is collapsing when vacuum is applied. This would only happen when a vacuum is applied. Snaking the hose would not correct it. Applying pressure through the vent might be enough to force poop water past the collapsed portion of the hose. The hose could look fine on the outside but defective inside.

great point

"It is possible that an inner lamination in the hose is collapsing when vacuum is applied." Didn't consider this idea, great point!

"It is possible that an inner lamination in the hose is collapsing when vacuum is applied." Didn't consider this idea, great point!
Agree and it has been known to happen.
I think you have proven the outlet and discharge hose functions under pressure so the discharge is below the black wzter level. You might try emptying via pressure on vent alone and then with pressure and vacuum at deck ftg. Does the flow increase or decrease with vac.
If there is a vac leak it shouldn't decrease. If hose is collapsing that could decrease flow when vac applied.

Yes, have seen inner laminate of the hose collapse on the engine intake water so I guess it could happen on the pump out hose since it is under suction.

There's one place you haven't checked: the vent fitting on the tank and that end of the vent line. You've gotten rid of the screen in the vent thru-hull...put hose nozzle against it and back flush the vent using as much water pressure as your hose nozzle can create.

If that doesn't clear out the blockage, you'll have to pull the vent line off the tank fitting and scrape out the fitting and that end of the vent line.

If THAT doesn't solve your problem, about the only thing left is a blockage in the pumpout line. It may be at the tank fitting or the pumpout hose. Have you or a guest flushed wet wipes? If so,you may be finding out why that's a BIG no-no on boats.

--Peggie

Peggy has it. If your holding tank has ever been full, the vent tank fitting gets fouled. I had to literally drill mine out it was so bad after 15 yrs.

All, Thank you very much for the advice. I am sure hoping the pumpout line is not collapsing on itself. That line looks like it would be a pain to replace. Heck the vent line was no fun.
After I go to the other marina and try their pumpout I will look at replacing the pumpout line.
The admiral wants to get new toilets and a different waste system altogether $$$$.The captain/firstmate/deckhand (lol) would like to fix what we have..

We had problems with pumpout on Sunday. They tried and tried and only got very slow, minor vacuum with little product moving. We flushed the vent lines (no issues) and checked connections, etc. They claimed the problem HAD to be on the boat because when they dropped the line in the water, it pumped like crazy.

Well it turns out the pump hose had a split in it, near the pumpout fitting. So it wasn't getting vacuum, but when they dropped it in the water it was sucking through the crack in the hose. We wrapped some duct tape around it to finish the job and it worked fine, and they took the hose for repair.

It might not be you at all.
BD

It's highly unlikely that the pumpout line is collapsing..marine sanitation hoses have a helix in them that makes that almost impossible. If the problem is in the pumpout line, it's far more likely to be a clog. We can address what to do about that if clearing the other end of the vent doesn't do it.

However, depending on the age of your hoses, it may or may not be advisable--if not necessary to replace all of 'em...everything has a lifespan. Same is true of your toilet...maintaining one that's old or never was even decent quality can be more aggravation and expense than replacing it. We can explore your options after you solve the pumpout problem.

--Peggie

Peggie
Will get back next week after we try the other marina for a pumpout. To all thank you for the input and guidance.
As you may have guessed we are a bit new at this BIG (to us) boat stuff. My ski boat (had for 30 years) didn't have a head lol..
Again thank you!
Mike and the Admiral Karen

Our pump out facility at the marina has to be primed first thing everyday, then it’s good to go for the rest of the day. We usually get out early so we’re always a part of the priming procedure.:facepalm:. They’ve been trying to get it fixed but so far no luck.

I’m sure that’s not your case, but it might be worth checking out .

Its run by the marina. it had been down for 5 months its supposed to be repaired but we had 3 dockhand trying to work it on our dock and they keep having issues. I am going to try another marina after I check a few vent line possible issues.

Peggie if you are still on this thread should l put additional water in the tank before I have them try to pump it out. I have a few gals (maybe 5) and some smell good stuff in it now..should I put more water in??? Or if anyone else as a suggestion?

It wouldn't hurt to add another gallon or two of water to the tank...and I'd do that via the deck pumpout fitting 'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be pumped out. Add the water immediately before pumping out.

--Peggie

All, Wanted to give you an update. It was the pumpout our marina :( I had suspected it but proof was in the pudding (sort of speak LOL)
I did check the lines fitting and through haul they were all clear. I hooked up to the pumpout at the other marina and in 5 mins was empty. Man does she smell better too.
Guess I should not have taken their word that it was my boat with the issue.
On Saturday I watched our marina try to pumpout my neighbors boat. funny they were having issues too...
Well one job down 5 others to go!!!
Thank you all for the guidance!
Mike

All, Wanted to give you an update. It was the pumpout our marina :( I had suspected it but proof was in the pudding (sort of speak LOL)
I did check the lines fitting and through haul they were all clear. I hooked up to the pumpout at the other marina and in 5 mins was empty. Man does she smell better too.
Guess I should not have taken their word that it was my boat with the issue.
On Saturday I watched our marina try to pumpout my neighbors boat. funny they were having issues too...
Well one job down 5 others to go!!!
Thank you all for the guidance!
Mike
Did they try priming their system?

They said B dock works just fine..but we are on C Dock. when they were trying to pumpout on C dock you could smell "that smell" about half way down our dock - C. I think they still have a leak somewhere.
I am just glad to have 60 gals of poop water off the boat finally..

Could the problem be that the vent hose is not providing enough air to break the vacuum created by the black water being pumped out of the tank. Maybe a pressure relief valve on the top of tank like those that prevent collapsing of the holding tank during pump out would break the vacuum created inside the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom