Our offer Got accepted! Now what? ‘73 GB 42 Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. Now the work begins to make her yours.

Ok, to start, it looks nice in the photos. But unfortunately it has teak decks which can be a real problem, possibly. Get a good surveyor that is familiar with teak decks to check for wet coring.

Lehman engines are very good engines. The 120 have fuel injection pumps that have a separate oil system that isn’t part of the engine oil. The oil in the injection pump is supposed to be changed every 50 hours since the oil gets diluted with diesel. It isn’t too hard to do but does get overlooked, neglected, since it is a short interval. As you learn the engines you may be able to extend the interval somewhat based on your experience.

Then let the surveyor do his/her work and check out the whole boat. I would accompany the surveyor and learn in the process.

Get an engine surveyor that is familiar with Lehmans to check the engines. They are a really tough, long lasting engine. But check them out to make sure.

If the survey comes out well then close on it. If there are major issues then renegotiate with the seller to cover them.

Have you checked on insurance? If not do so now.

Good luck.

Congrats! She is a beauty! If you were searching for a Woody in amazing condition I think you have found her. I think keeping her is excellent condition will be more costly than a glass version. I am sure the Portland area has folks who know how to maintain wooden hulls, storage, hauling etc. I think the sea trial will go smooth and you will enjoy ownership of a special classic yacht. JEP

I am with others. Hope you have an engine surveyor and hull surveyor.

Welcome to TF

So the sea trial is on Saturday anything special for me to ask or look for?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/grand-banks-42-europa-3648595/

All the previous comments have hit the nail on the head. Once the offer is accepted the next steps are an engine survey, a conditional survey (with haul out), and a sea trial. The two don't necessarily have to be done on the same day. I did them in the same day and the conditional survey spilled into the next day but that's not required. Hire a conditional surveyor and a mechanical surveyor for the engines. This will be your responsibility as the buyer and the surveyors "work for you". You will get two separate reports, one from each and once you review the results then it will be up to you to go to the seller for more money or ask for things to be completed as concessions. If there are no concessions that you want then you go to close as is on condition and price.

Very nice! I really like the lines and layout of the Europas. Seems like the 42 is kind of a rare bird.

12gal holding tank? Must be a misprint.

I agree with all of the others regarding hiring a surveyor and mechanic to conduct testing/inspections. However, I have a document that might help you determine things to check and things to ask to ensure they are checked. The document does not have any wood hull speciifics however. If you would like a copy, send me your email address in a PM, as documents cannot be posted on the forum or sent thru PM.

A Surveyor who can properly survey the vessel. No offense, but if you have to ask, you are not prepared to perform your own survey and sea trial.

Giggle, a professional surveyor is involved.

Watch the exhausts at startup; yes, they will smoke a bit of blue smoke which should go away to clear once underway and up to temp. Get into the ER while at cruise speed to look at the shaft packings and listen to the engines while looking at them with a strong light to detect any coolant or oil drips. Hopefully, the engines have had the coolant recovery bottle and double-acting radiator cap neck conversion. Watch while the surveyor runs the engines up to WOT to ensure they are properly propped. Turn all the nav electronics on to see the autopilot function and if it will follow a route on the plotter, assuming it is so connected. Check the radar display to see other boats at a mile or two distance. Check air conditioners and refrigerator of proper operation. Look in the bilge and poke around for soft wood, especially behind the fuel tanks.

Have your surveyor check for condition of the fuel tanks. The second photo in the engine room shows the starboard fuel tank. It looks original but maintained well (painted and rust free). Check for possible rust on top of the tanks and well sealed deck fuel fills. We had to replace the fuel tanks in our '86 GB42. The cost of replacement could cost 25% of your seller's asking price.

Also, have your surveyor check the condition of the teak decks. Look for missing bungs (tops of screws or nails showing) and separation of sealant from the teak strips. Both of those occurrences allow water to enter into the sub deck. Look for a good seal between the teak deck and the side of the house. The quarter-round teak strip is actually more than 90 degrees. The teak decks were a bit thicker on the woodies. The cost of replacing the decks and repairing any damaged sub decking could easily exceed half of the asking price. Learn to love gray...

Most of the GB42s have holding tanks between 40 and 50 USG.

Good luck! Hope the above items are as good as she looks!

Last edited:
Yessir.

Survey- must be hauled. As the vessel is of wood construction, ensure that a good sampling of fasteners are pulled from the undersides of the vessel and their condition noted on the survey report (ideally, with photos).

Thanks, good info.

Watch the exhausts at startup; yes, they will smoke a bit of blue smoke which should go away to clear once underway and up to temp. Get into the ER while at cruise speed to look at the shaft packings and listen to the engines while looking at them with a strong light to detect any coolant or oil drips. Hopefully, the engines have had the coolant recovery bottle and double-acting radiator cap neck conversion. Watch while the surveyor runs the engines up to WOT to ensure they are properly propped. Turn all the nav electronics on to see the autopilot function and if it will follow a route on the plotter, assuming it is so connected. Check the radar display to see other boats at a mile or two distance. Check air conditioners and refrigerator of proper operation. Look in the bilge and poke around for soft wood, especially behind the fuel tanks.

Good info.

The photos show a well cared for boat. Hoping the survey and trial go well for you. Congratulations on finding this gem. Lots of daytime space with the europa cabin and fly bridge.

Have your surveyor check for condition of the fuel tanks. The second photo in the engine room shows the starboard fuel tank. It looks original but maintained well (painted and rust free). Check for possible rust on top of the tanks and well sealed deck fuel fills. We had to replace the fuel tanks in our '86 GB42. The cost of replacement could cost 25% of your seller's asking price.

Also, have your surveyor check the condition of the teak decks. Look for missing bungs (tops of screws or nails showing) and separation of sealant from the teak strips. Both of those occurrences allow water to enter into the sub deck. Look for a good seal between the teak deck and the side of the house. The quarter-round teak strip is actually more than 90 degrees. The teak decks were a bit thicker on the woodies. The cost of replacing the decks and repairing any damaged sub decking could easily exceed half of the asking price. Learn to love gray...

Most of the GB42s have holding tanks between 40 and 50 USG.

Good luck! Hope the above items are as good as she looks!

Yes, we'll look at all that stuff. I hope your holding tank info is correct!

The photos show a well cared for boat. Hoping the survey and trial go well for you. Congratulations on finding this gem. Lots of daytime space with the europa cabin and fly bridge.

It is my understanding that the owner used to own a shipyard/boat yard, and this boat has been what he has relaxed on for the last 20 years.

Congrats! She is a beauty! If you were searching for a Woody in amazing condition I think you have found her. I think keeping her is excellent condition will be more costly than a glass version. I am sure the Portland area has folks who know how to maintain wooden hulls, storage, hauling etc. I think the sea trial will go smooth and you will enjoy ownership of a special classic yacht. JEP

Thanks.

Yes, it will be more work to maintain her, but any of her fiberglass sisters would cost me double or more up front.

If you have to replace the holding tank, look at Ronko tanks. They are good quality heavy wall tanks. They have hundreds of stock sizes and will put the fittings in the tank where you need them. No affiliation.

When they haul the boat ask whoever is running the travel lift for the weight of the boat. It will give you a reference point for noodling over ground tackle changes down the road.

Is there any truth to marinas not allowing wood boats? I was (potentially) looking at early GBs and was concerned when I read this....although I was unable to "fact check" this comment...

Peter - I’m located in the south Puget Sound area. I know for a fact that some marinas in my area will not haul-out a wood boat. Haven’t heard of anyone being turned away just for moorage. That being said most marinas want to see your insurance, and not all insurance companies want to take on a wood boat.

Matt

Giggle, a professional surveyor is involved.

Hey, you get out what you put in. No where in the original post do you mention a survey or a surveyor. But feel free to giggle at people trying to help you despite your lack of information. :angel:

Peter - I’m located in the south Puget Sound area. I know for a fact that some marinas in my area will not haul-out a wood boat. Haven’t heard of anyone being turned away just for moorage. That being said most marinas want to see your insurance, and not all insurance companies want to take on a wood boat.

Matt

All public access marinas in Puget Sound/Salish Sea require at minimum liability coverage for moorage (whether or not they are require to be named as an Additional Insured on your policy). You are correct that some yards will not haul out wood boats, but there are enough yards in the area (without going to Port Townsend) that it's an inconvenience at best. Equally important is the selection of a surveyor knowledgeable in surveying wood boats.

With regards to wood hulls and insurance- as a broker, I have access to a dozen + insurance markets, and only 3 will consider wood boats- and they all have stringent requirements to meet.

When they haul the boat ask whoever is running the travel lift for the weight of the boat. It will give you a reference point for noodling over ground tackle changes down the road.

Nice idea!

If you have to replace the holding tank, look at Ronko tanks. They are good quality heavy wall tanks. They have hundreds of stock sizes and will put the fittings in the tank where you need them. No affiliation.

I'll look them up.

We had also thought of the possibility of switching to a composting toilet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom