Old 09-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #19
Shrew
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
We are 18’2” and have never had any trouble finding a slip. Of course we are 70’ LOA so that affects slip width, but even constantly traveling, we have never had beam be an issue. They just stick us on the face dock with all the other transients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
We are only 37ft in length, but very fat at 16ft beam (see photo).

We have not had any problems on the SE coast as long as the person on the phone/radio LISTENS when we tell them our beam. Several times, they hear 37ft and just make an assumption on beam - the slip being too narrow.

In order to accommodate our beam, we are usually put in 40-45ft LOA slips - which have typically averaged 18ft wide in our cruising area so far.
In both cases, the length to beam ratio is typically fairly close. So, if you're looking for a slip for a 70' LOA, then in most cases the slip will be able to also accommodate a 18'2" beam.

As in the second example, I attempted to bring my boat into a slip last week. I know the marina and they have had my boat before (badged 35, 39'9" LOA with a 14'4" beam). They looked at 'Mainship 35' and directed me to a slip. I thought it was odd that I was taking a slip on the inside. I got stuck between the pilings.

First, I was like WTF??!! But then I thought, you gotta be pretty good to get 6 feet into a slip too narrow before you get pinned between the pilings.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote