Where to List Unique New Boat Sale/Partial RV Trade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imp

My precious Fly Boy, in a later-than-midlife-moment, had a custom Jones Brothers 25' Bateau built with every whiz-bang feature he could think to add, including a 250 hp Yamaha, galvanized tandem float-on trailer w/electric winch & brakes, T-top, Minn Kota GPS, trolling motor, center console w/T-Top & canopy, Flir stereo, chart plotters, underwater lights, radar, floodlights, wash down, live wells, leaning post, trim tabs & power pole & any other top of the line accessory he could find. It is rated for 24 passengers & will carry them comfortably + all their SCUBA gear. This model is often used as a tour boat, as well as for commercial fishing. It has never been in the water except for about 5 hours for testing. The dear man spent about a quarter of a million dollars on "Sea Dragon" (his code name during his 14 special ops tours in Vietnam was Dragon), & now he has given me the assignment to sell this beast, & I have no idea of the best place to list it. Price is $129,995, & I am willing to take a small decent trailer or other RV, or a Jeep tow vehicle as partial trade. Please give me your recommendation(s) for best places to list this special boat. I realize this is a trawler forum, but this is the only boating forum to which I belong, & I know there is a wealth of boating/sales knowledge here, so thought this might be the best place to start. Thanks, folks, & please be kind!

Last edited:
Wow - Quite the boat. Seems to me a broker who deals especially in sport boats...???

Wow, Wow - 1/4 million $$$ orig cost... I looked up those boats. Takes lots of effort to get all the way up to that cost. How many years ago did the "Dragon" buy it?

Best Luck!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something, a 25' inspected vessel licensed to carry 24 passengers plus their scuba gear and it's road width legal on a trailer? Sorry, those numbers don't work.

Ted

Yes, that's what Fly Boy did for over a year with zero results & why now it has been handed over to moi. He thinks I will be more diligent.

Regardless of where you post or advertise it, pictures sell boats. No pictures; no serious inquiries.

Ted

Sorry 'bout that! Let me try again! OK, you do not really have top turn your head sideways to view every photo; just click on each one & they will enlarge in the correct orientation. Thanks for pointing out my error--

Attachments

• Sea Dragon Name.jpg
    Sea Dragon Name.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 62
  • SeaDragon Aft.jpg
    SeaDragon Aft.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 78
  • SeaDragon Bow.jpg
    SeaDragon Bow.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 63
  • SeaDragon Covered Console.jpg
    SeaDragon Covered Console.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 58
  • SeaDragon Port Aft Quarter.jpg
    SeaDragon Port Aft Quarter.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 65
  • SeaDragon Port Bow.jpg
    SeaDragon Port Bow.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 53
  • SeaDragon Port Qtr.jpeg
    SeaDragon Port Qtr.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SeaDragon Stern.jpg
    SeaDragon Stern.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 45
  • SeaDragon toward Bow.jpg
    SeaDragon toward Bow.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 62
Wow - Quite the boat. Seems to me a broker who deals especially in sport boats...???

Wow, Wow - 1/4 million $$$ orig cost... I looked up those boats. Takes lots of effort to get all the way up to that cost. How many years ago did the "Dragon" buy it?

Best Luck!

It was custom built in 2016, & Fly Boy never does anything on the chintz. We are having the master bedroom re-done now & I mentioned I wanted to put in a tv. The next thing I knew there was a delivery man at the front door with a 60 in TV & someone at the back door delivered a huge box with a long soundbar & 2 speakers. I have no idea where it is all going to fit, but that is that way he does things, & Sea Dragon has every piece of equipment it was possible to fit on it, just as I, a woman who does not wear jewelry, has an amazing collection of the stuff.

He had to have a heart valve replacement in 2017. I had a knee replacement in 2018, so we have decided, much to our mutual disappointment that our seagoing days--other than for our tricked-out 2-person kayak--are over.

If you will check some of the photos in my reply to ComoDave, perhaps that will answer your concern about the person load of this boat. It has a very shallow draft (c. 1'), & the prototype was originally designed to ferry vehicles to the Outer Banks. Fly Boy has owned several of these, & used them as SCUBA charter boats, primarily in the Keys. He did indeed carry as many as 24 passengers at a time. However, those versions were not as tricked out as this one, which was custom-built as his particular baby for his personal use. I realize that not everyone will have the same passion for marine toys as my beloved, which is why I am resigned to taking not only such a significant financial loss, but willing to take a partial trade to make a deal, even though I already have a lovely shiny RV. I just want Sea Dragon to have the home she deserves with someone who deserves & will love her.

Your best bet may be BoatTrader.com. It will cost a bit for the ad but I have sold our last 2 boats on their site. I agree with Ted that photos sell a boat in an add. Take many, many photos showing every angle and nook of the boat. Well lit photos are best. Good luck. BTW, I would have some photos of the boat in the water.

Yes, you are right, Comodave! Hoping for sun soon now that summer is over! We recently had a hurricane on Monday & 2 more storms before the week was out. Camera is ready whenever Mother Nature will give us a break--

Yes, that's what Fly Boy did for over a year with zero results & why now it has been handed over to moi. He thinks I will be more diligent.

Not sure why the zero results...though "unique" boats are all over the map for ease to sell and prices accepted.

But my initial cut after looking at 19-24 foot Carolina skiffs that may be less boat but perfectly suitable are way less than 1/2 the price.

Again not to insult you...but the average guy I know looking for a skiff is in no way going to pay more than $50,000....probably looking for deals around the $25,000-$30,000 range....though there are many listed just above $50,000.

The USCG certification may help but I still think the price tag is scaring people off unless you advertise to a very select group that can appreciate the boat for the price.

Those kinds of dollars for a smaller vessel are usually restricted to the antique, wood, handcrafted show piece...not generally a working boat of generic design.

Last edited:
is a 77,000 boat with no options over 80 with the t-top. much better quality than a Carolina Skiff . but how much quality do you need ? a status symbol around here . I will never be able to have one.

is a 77,000 boat with no options over 80 with the t-top. much better quality than a Carolina Skiff . but how much quality do you need ? a status symbol around here . I will never be able to have one.

Thus my point to advertise it with a very exclusive crowd.

The USCG certification may help but I still think the price tag is scaring people off unless you advertise to a very select group that can appreciate the boat for the price.

Those kinds of dollars for a smaller vessel are usually restricted to the antique, wood, handcrafted show piece...not generally a working boat of generic design.

Clearly, Sea Dragon was custom built as a sort of vanity project, which is why I have no hope for a buyer with the same vision. However, it is not a used boat, but one never in the water except for testing, & it is a working boat designed for commercial use. It is even suitable for military or SCUBA training (both of which are Fly Boy's background), though the electronics are overkill. Perhaps I should cannibalize her a bit. BoatTrader was an excellent suggestion that I should have come up with myself. I shall soldier on, continuing to welcome suggestions--

Thus my point to advertise it with a very exclusive crowd.
Point taken there is probably some guy in Wilmington NC. or Myrtle Beach that would live to have a better jones brothers skiff than every one in his neighborhood .and he may be willing pay dearly for it .

Right...that's the target or a guy with business aspirations that call for the boat with those specs and is priced right...

But 90+ percent of the guys out there I am guessing, like me, looking for a 24 foot skiff like boat...will seriously look at boats priced over $50,000 unless they have something really special.

So while the extremes may look at Boat Trader (I have to think it's a tool for bargain shoppers not money is no object types....I seriously think for that kind of money it is best to look for a broker that specialized in unusual commercial vessels.

Imp, there are very nice people on this forum who really want to help you. Me included. First, I'm not a buyer, buyers are who you need to find but you know that. You state that it's not a used boat, but it IS a used boat and everyone who look at the ad will be thinking that. Even with super low hours, it's titled to an owner and over a year old. Though it is capable of being a dive boat, single car transport and much more, it will need more money put into customizing it for that purpose. Right now, it looks to be set up for fishing. I agree that asking price needs to be much lower or you're just kidding yourself. Go to a dealer who has a similar used boat for sale and see what they are asking. People will pay a dealer more money than to a private seller. Just a suggestion on how to get some inquiries on the boat. The only reason we are chatting with you is curiosity about such a unique boat and to help you. But if you've been trying to sell it for over a year, you need to examine the offers you've received, if any and make a change accordingly. Try contacting some dive shops in Fl as well. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Terrific idea--Fly Boy has a great contact with a shop owner in the Keys from his days leading dive trips there. In fact, the last time he took a Jones Brothers Bateau down there he came back without it because a local guide was so impressed with it he bought it from him right on the spot. Will get on it right away--thanks, I knew you folks would spark me!

The price may or may not be correct. It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You have to put it out there and see what happens. You can always lower the price but once listed you can not raise the price. Try and sell it and see what happens. We were selling a house and our realtor said we were asking way too much for it and it would take several years to sell at that price. We had a professional photographer take photos of it. It went on the MLS at 5:30 PM and the next morning at 9:30 AM we had an offer for $5K over our asking price because we happened to hit the right buyer. So give it a try and see what happens. Good luck.

The price may or may not be correct. It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You have to put it out there and see what happens. You can always lower the price but once listed you can not raise the price. Try and sell it and see what happens. We were selling a house and our realtor said we were asking way too much for it and it would take several years to sell at that price. We had a professional photographer take photos of it. It went on the MLS at 5:30 PM and the next morning at 9:30 AM we had an offer for $5K over our asking price because we happened to hit the right buyer. So give it a try and see what happens. Good luck.

I disagree:

"You can always lower the price but once listed you can not raise the price."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom