Mainship 34 HT roof spaces and wiring runs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 HT
Do any Mainship 34 folks know what is the best way to get wiring to panel and helm from roof? We have become stewards of a beautiful 34 HT trawler, but she never had radar, and was only cruised marina to marina.
We want to expound her boundaries, so we are adding radar but I have always been scared of headliners, and don’t want to start repairing now! Do any of you know where the “wire run” spaces are in a Mainship? We are going to have to drill into the roof to install radar, and I’m pretty freaked out by that. Does anybody know the wire spaces from circular pad on roof to panel?

Steve

Steve
Welcome officially to TF and first project post. I know you have a fine looking vessel and we expect pics. I think you will need to get 5 posts to automatically receive the ability to post pics but that won't be long if you are jumping right in to projects like this.

My guess... and only a guess as I've never had to make or trace any roof runs and my 34HT doesn't have radar.

There is a wire chase just aft of the Stbd helm door that is accessible from the engine room. I'm sure of that and ran a snake into it when trying to get from ER to helm by mistake.
Most helm wiring drops down through the saloon sole inside the movable panel that the helm wheel mounts to. They are then accessible from the hatch under the galley steps but there are only a few openings/ paths through the bulkhead just fwd of the wayer & fuel tanks... one stbd, one center and I assume one port.
On mine there were some pull strings left in place from prior work and I was able to pull a flexible plastic snake through and then the wiring I was interested in... depth / fish finder, battery charger remote and battery monitor at different times. Don't forget to include a pull string when / where ever you pull any wiring. You will be glad you did if/when you return for the next wiring job.
I took off the 3 section bulkhead in ER just aft of water & fuel tanks for a little better access but it still doesn't get you much room or visibility as the fuel tank top is very close to the deck above.
I'm guessing you will have to remove at least some of the headliner to get from the underside of roof at the mounting over to the wire chase on stbd side.
My Bacchus website has a link to Steve Cyr's " Stella Blue" website (in useful links section) and Steve has a write up, pics and tips on R&R the MS headliner material.

Last edited:
Thank you Don!

Don,
I had just wrote you when I saw this. Thank you for that info and I will definitely look at Stella Blue’s link from your site. I will definitely leave chase wires after this project.
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom