USCG v USCG AUX Inspections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So, most years while at a yacht club spring party in March, the USCG AUX is availble to perform safety inspections and you receive your yearly sticker. I do this every year.

Last year (2019) we were boarded by the USCG and they conducted a safety check. When asked if we had been inspected recently, I replied yes as I showed them the sticker and USCG AUX paper. They stated no that was not the "real" Coast Guard. So they performed a safety inspection looking at the same items the Aux would look at.

So here is my question: Why have a safety inspection done by the Aux if it is not really recognized by the USCG anyway?

To help you identify any safety or regulatory gaps and correct them. The AUX won't write you up for fines based on what they see. The CG might/will.

The sticker is not a guarantee that you won't be boarded and inspected.

The "You Are Golden" copy from a recent CG inspection will cover you for three months, IIRC.

In fact if they are out on a training day they will probably board you so that their guys can get the experience.

In Michigan if you are displaying a current sticker state LE are not supposed to stop you for a safety check. It is in the state law. They can still stop you if you are doing something illegal. The CG here tends not to stop you either since they know that you were compliant at some point in the current year so they usually look for boats without a current sticker. However they are required to make X number of boardings per year to maintain their individual qualifications and also to meet the stations goals. So they may stop every boat until they reach the required number of boardings. And it might also tip you off that something like your flares are out of date before LE stops you. Another good thing is that you can ask questions about the safety equipment and boating in general, the CG doesn’t want to chat with you usually. They want to get the boarding done and move on to the next boarding or whatever. The vessel examiner will usually chat about whatever as long as you are willing to sit and talk. So there are quite a few reasons to get the voluntary examination.

Because guys get a USCGAUX sticker hoping they won't get stopped later in the year when they aren't compliant.

In places along the ACIW I have been.... the USCG could care less if you have a sticker or not...they will board

My recommendation is if you have a dozen or more years of serious boating.....don't bother with the AUX sticker.

Last edited:
The USCG Aux is just a bunch of volunteers that like to get involved on your local water front and wear uniforms. They have no status whatsoever regarding safety, navigation or licensing. They like to conduct “ safety “ inspections, pass out stickers and generally participate in Christmas and holiday parades. I conducted two losses one in SoCal and one in Florida where the local Commodore’s vessel sunk at the dock the other burned. The real USCG normally if rarely boards a vessel for a real safety inspection. They board for suspicion of violations like, drugs, drinking, illegal charter ops, too many onboard vs vessel rating, reckless operation etc etc. . Those crews arent hull inpectors so they aren’t going to check your propane installation, fuel lines, thru hulls you know what I mean. Over the years (40 +-) I’ve found these groups more of an obstruction than anything else. On the other hand I find the Power Squadron does a fine job along with a copy of Chapmans .

While less than perfect, the USCG manages to save a few here and there despite the average boater being clueless.

Also, I can see your point about looking for bigger issues than boating safety...but a huge number of boardings are safety related compliance.

Last edited:
I've been boarded twice in 6 years for safety inspections. The second time they said didn't need to board as I had a current AUX sticker. Since they had 6 people in the boat, i asked if they were looking for a training opportunity and the answer was yes so they came aboard. My son had been in the same situation on the USCGC Adelie so i was glad to help out.

Tom

The Auxiliary purpose is to save lives through education, vessel safety checks and some support operations. The VSC checks (not inspections) your required and recommended equipment BEFORE you actually need it or you are boarded for compliance by law enforcement officers which includes the regular USCG. Prior to 9/11, the USCG budget and manning was cut on avg 4 out of 5 years. The regulars appreciated the help from a local division. I’ve been out since 2003 and have seen many improvements in the regulars funding.

So here is my question: Why have a safety inspection done by the Aux if it is not really recognized by the USCG anyway?

Pretty simple and I think you already know the answer...

USCGAux & USPS (AKA Americas Boating Club) both perform voluntary no penalty, no report safety checks. No harm no foul if/when they point out a deficiency and you get a chance to correct it before a USCG or LEO boarding/ inspection that has real consequences if they find a deficiency.
There is no guarantee that displaying a decal will avoid any inspections but many I have spoken to will admit given a choice tgey will likely stop a boat w/o a decal. They (LEO) have also stopped and inspected 4 boats displaying decals... 3 that I inspected and mine that another USPS VSE performed. When done I inquired why? The response... training of a new LEO.
I have also been cruising w 3 other boats and only one stopped by USCG boarded and quickly completed a safety check w no issues cited.
Nothing is guaranteed or 100%...
Anyone can do their own inspection with a decent checklist available online if you believe the decal is worthless and don't value another pair of eyes looking over your boat.
I volunteer to do USPS VSCs as a service and have never "pushed" them... I do them on request and "customers" generally repeat from year to year and a few new ones via word of mouth or online awareness / request.

A lot depends on your boat and the day. I was boarded 3 times in one year doing the Loop. They see a big boat on the water when few are out and want to train the rookies. My boat is a challenge to them as it goes slow enough that they can do an underway boarding. Inspite of having the auxiliary sticker, they're still boarding because it's an enclosed boat that adds a degree of uncertainty, not like a 25' center console.

Ted

Never been boarded by USCG over fifty years of periodical on-and-off boating. (During the last ten years my home berth is a quarter mile from the local USCG station.) ... Behave seaman-like and avoid having half-naked "babes" on display.

I tried to get an inspection when i bought the boat and after several weeks was informed they wouldn't do an inspection and suggested i watch a few you tube videos. I wanted there suggestions for mounting safety gear. I guess if they wont do inspections i don't have to worry about getting boarded. I still am not sure if things are how they should be.

WOW, I'm a FSO-VE for the USCG AUX
We do the same training as the regular CG. We train an average of three days a week with them. Our VE inspections are not a joke. We look for things that, yes can sink your boat. We do the same inspections as the Power Squadron. If the VE is doing his or her job, we can save a Life with our inspection. Yes we do the exact if not more than the regular CG.

Last year our squard saved several lives. So next time you have an emergency call 911 and see what happens. We train to save lives. Most of us are ex law enforcement or ex service with years of experience.

Because of covid our inspections have been put on hold, we are now back as long as the owner wears a mask and the VE feels safe. Safety is number one for both parties

I would never have an AUX inspection. Too many I've see think they have power they don't or think they know more than they do. Now, in some areas of the country it may be different, but on our lake in NC, the Wildlife Commission paid zero attention to inspection decals and here, in South Florida, you'd get the same value out of buying a red dot sticker and plastering it on.

I know there are well intentioned inspectors and I think they do often help beginning boaters make sure they have what they need. I don't think they serve a purpose for experienced boaters. Self inspect.

I feel bad for the dedicated AUX and PS members who are so often undermined by others who act as if they have some power or level of authority that they don't.

I’m not a fan of the cgaux. The regular USCG boards about once every 5 years. Always professionals.

Interesting responses. I posted this to see if other folks had experience what I have.

I think the AUX performs a valuable service, but if the real USCG doesn't recognize the value, why fund it.

I would have to agree there are some that think as an AUX they have LEO powers.

For example: During an AUX inspection on the Columbia River the AUX inspector insisted that I MUST have the holding tank macerator switch safety wired in the off position and my 3-way valve secured with a lock or electrical tie in the tank position. I stated that was incorrect. We were not in a NDZ.

Look in Boater's Guide to the Federal Requirments for Recreational Boaters. Page 35, Marine Sanitation Devices ( 33 CFR 159).

He read it and informed me that it was incorrect.

Hint: Puget Sound is the ONLY federally designated " No Dump Zone" in Washington State.

So I think the AUX really need to receive more training in the rules they are trying to guide you on, and some support from the USCG or disband them.

The Coast Guard can stop you and conduct a routine safety inspection any time they want. Usually it's only done when they suspect some wrong doing. When I commercial fished, I think I was in a training area and the fishermen in the area were inspected several times a year. The Coast Guard crew were always very professional.
IMO the CG auxiliary are like want-to-be cops. People that like to enforce rules. I wouldn't let one on my boat. Luckily, you rarely see them at sea.

Can you refuse an auxiliary inspection?

Stricktly voluntary and I'd be wary of anyone implying otherwise.
As an examiner I can tell you that it is sometimes difficult to get an interpretation of a regulation from USCG. I have been down that road a few times and most after the response has simply been a regurgitation of the regulation with no or very little useful interpretation.
In one case when I sent several photos and asked which if any were ok or in violation the correspondence ceased and i was referred to the regs. There should be a defined path and contact to provide detailed interpretation of regs to assist and help train examiners. IMO

I think the takeaway is that it depends on the area. Some Auxiliaries work well with the USCG and some may not. When I ran a charter boat out of Ocean City, MD, the Auxiliary had an Uninspected Passenger Vessel Inspection (which is an oxymoron) program. Basically an inspection the USCG would do if boarding a UPV charter boat. Because there were so many 6 pack charter sport fishing boats, it was near impossible to go after the ones without licenses or other deficiencies. The USCG takes a more hard line on charter boats that may be putting the public at risk. Most of us would happily go through the inspection and license check for the sticker as opposed to getting boarded with a charter. Once or twice a season, the USCG would bring in extra help to board as many charter boats as possible. The UPV Inspection sticker gave you a pass unless there was an obvious problem.

Ted

Last edited:

Just to be clear on your question.

They should not stop you, or request a boarding while on the water. These inspections are land based.

They do use private boats with Aux banners draped on them and go on "patrol," what they do during their patrol is beyond me! Perhaps if they see something dangerous they will radio or speak with the operator.

The only gotcha I believe is if they have an active duty qualified boarding officer on board.

The only gotcha I believe is if they have an active duty qualified boarding officer on board.

That would be interesting.

Everytime I have been boarded for inspection we had three on board and one always stays with the helm while the other two move about the boat with the missus.

Who would he have at the helm and with the inspection team.

Plus all CG are always armed. I am pretty sure I can refuse boarding to armed AUX even with a qualified with them.

Might research a bit more for interest. Or maybe the AUX on here can answer?

We got stopped for inspection last week. It was interesting for two reasons. First, they never hailed us on the radio (at least not on 16 or 9), and this was despite us transmitting AIS. They were approaching from ahead and just waved. It was hard to interpret their intentions.

The second interesting part was that we weren't boarded. They just had us show them things or asked if we had them. That's never happened to me before - we've always been boarded. It meant that they dealt exclusively with my wife as I was operating the vessel from the flying bridge. I'll admit that I was a bit nervous about the transfer of my documentation and drivers license back and forth.

In any case the CG was extremely professional, pleasant, and quick about the whole process.

BD

Ummm, errr, I had a USCG Aux inspection, at my request. Nothing wrong other than I knew more than the inspector.

My bro had a AUX inspection and had the same opinion as me, he knew more than the inspector. Then he had a group of USCG folks do an inspection underway. Nothing wrong so he got a Golden Ticket.

Two things that confuse the Aux folks are, as a diesel powered I am not required to have a bilge blower and because I have a key lock out on the sanitary system, there seems to be some debate on if I need to close the hull valve.

I guess I better check the flairs this year SMIRK
Getting rid of expired flairs is a real hassle. I am tempted to bag them up and hand them to the Aux inspector. LOL Let them worry about it.

I guess I better check the flairs this year SMIRK
Getting rid of expired flairs is a real hassle. I am tempted to bag them up and hand them to the Aux inspector. LOL Let them worry about it.

Get the electronic flare equivalent and only change the batteries.

16012163525291535590104313622843.jpg

Ted

Just to be clear on your question.

They should not stop you, or request a boarding while on the water. These inspections are land based.
They do use private boats with Aux banners draped on them and go on "patrol," what they do during their patrol is beyond me! Perhaps if they see something dangerous they will radio or speak with the operator.

While we lived in Hawaii, our boat was designated as a USCG Operational Facility, which you reference above. When on patrol orders, we had to display the USCG Aux banners, monitor appropriate radio channels, and basically be on "patrol" in a designated area. We were there to render assistance, towing if necessary, supply gasoline or diesel to boats who ran out of fuel, and relay to the "real guys" in other situations. You'd be surprised as how many boats would be operating 10 - 12 miles off shore without radios of any kind . . . We'd see someone fire off a flare because they ran out of gas . . . We'd give them 5 gallons, and ask them if they were heading to shore immediately . . . a few times they said, yes, as soon as we make two more passes or some such . . . .:nonono:

We had a a sticker on the port side of the wheelhouse designating the boat as a USCG Operational Facility. The inspections we went through were more involved than a normal inspection, but not terribly so. We were boarded once, off the West coast of Oahu by the USCG. After stepping on board, the OIC saw the Operational Facility sticker, and said, oh, no real need to inspect, since you are an Operational Facility, but do you mind? We need to keep our numbers up. I replied "Knock yourselves out!" They didn't find any faults, and as always, were very professional and polite. Gotta love the USCG!:dance:

WOW, I'm a FSO-VE for the USCG AUX
We do the same training as the regular CG. We train an average of three days a week with them. Our VE inspections are not a joke. We look for things that, yes can sink your boat. We do the same inspections as the Power Squadron. If the VE is doing his or her job, we can save a Life with our inspection. Yes we do the exact if not more than the regular CG.

Last year our squard saved several lives. So next time you have an emergency call 911 and see what happens. We train to save lives. Most of us are ex law enforcement or ex service with years of experience.

I also have been told by CG that auxiliary inspections will not deter a boarding.

Back
Top Bottom