Hike in slip fees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Let me start off by saying I’m going to keep southerly where she is at despite a severe hike in slip fee.

My marina, which I completely love has just tacked on a flat fee electric cost. 30 amp.$60.00 a month per cord, 50 amp. $125.00 per cord a month and 100 amp. 250.00 per cord a month.

Now, I don’t live there, but there are some that do. Of course the transient dockage people will be assessed daily I’m assuming.

This increases my slip fee by 125.00 a month. I’m thinking this is a pretty steep hike. Thoughts?

It's a significant increase. But it's probably more fair than just raising the rates across the board, as the boats with bigger power cords probably use more power on average. My own marina doesn't charge based on power hookup, but some others in the area do, and I've seen it plenty of times for transient dockage pricing as well.

Do marinas ever have meters on individual slips so they can charge electric by actual use? If that's relatively common, then this hike would annoy me because it seems like they just want to avoid metering individual slips, but then ALSO want to avoid their base slip rate "sounding" high.

My feeling is that if you want to "generically" cover costs, just raise the overall slip rates. Larger slips (that have bigger cords) would have higher rates.

If you actually want to have people pay for their power, then meter the slips (if that's possible).

Paying more, if that's the market where you are, would be a bummer but would not stick in my craw the way this type of fee would.

(That said, I really don't know how marinas tend to work, and if this is the way most are then I guess that's just the way it is.)

On the individual meters thing, my marina does have power pedestals with meters, but they don't use them to charge individually. They got the meters when these pedestals went in because they were considering it, but decided it wasn't worth the overhead.

Let me start off by saying I’m going to keep southerly where she is at despite a severe hike in slip fee.

My marina, which I completely love has just tacked on a flat fee electric cost. 30 amp.$60.00 a month per cord, 50 amp. $125.00 per cord a month and 100 amp. 250.00 per cord a month.

Now, I don’t live there, but there are some that do. Of course the transient dockage people will be assessed daily I’m assuming.

This increases my slip fee by 125.00 a month. I’m thinking this is a pretty steep hike. Thoughts?

I pay considerable more for my 30amp boat (metered). Even though I own my slips, my monthly fees are higher.

This is just bothering me. Actually it’s not the money. It’s how it was done. A letter was sent out saying all that they provide. Examples:

Wireless internet. Totally not true. It never works. In fact I put a satellite system in just so I could work from the boat on occasion. Everyone complains they can’t get internet access.

Laundry facilities. No, you are not providing that as part of the slip fee. Have your quarters ready. It cost an arm and a leg to do a load. I bring mine home.

Security. Sure it’s gated but anybody can come in by boat. In fact, a boat that was next to me had his engine stolen off his dingy while he slept. I had my flag and pole stolen while I was not there. And a sea Ray boat a few slips down from me had parts stolen from the main engine while he was not there. So security? Um, no.

The letter also states there is a ship store. I’ve been there 2 years. If there is a ship store, I can’t find it.

I absolutely would have preferred to have a slip increase. I expected one since my annual contract renews in October. Just didn’t see this Electric thing coming. I don’t like the idea of subsidizing electric for those that are there full time. I keep my air up when I’m not there and run a small nightlight.

Michigan raised fees 14% this summer. Municipalities that generally follow the State rate schedule followed suit.

We have individual meters at each slip, the only time the electric bill is greater than $20 a month is when we use resistance heat... Perhaps with AC running 24/7 for the summer months but $125 a month seems a little excessive.

Be creative. Ask if they will reduce your power fee if you install solar on your boat and lock the power station. This means you'll never plug in as well as any service providers such as mechanics never plugging in. You'll still have to pay for the power outlet maintenance. Good luck with negotiations. Of course, if the marina can't make a decent profit, they can always sell to a condo developer.
If it matters, I agree that the fee is excessive for electric service. But it's just words, they could call it anything they like and charge anything they like.

Last edited:
We have metered electric in our slip in NY, and we had metered electric when we lived in Maryland. We have single 30 service - a Camano 31. We're on the the boat in the slip maybe 2 weeks/month on average. In Maryland we averaged $35/month during the summer. In NY we're averaging $65/month during the summer.

Be creative. Ask if they will reduce your power fee if you install solar on your boat and lock the power station. This means you'll never plug in as well as any service providers such as mechanics never plugging in. You'll still have to pay for the power outlet maintenance. Good luck with negotiations. Of course, if the marina can't make a decent profit, they can always sell to a condo developer.

On metered power for a month last fall, our hydro bill was $2.75. Solar panels did the rest.

Donna....FT Pierce raised its rates this year too.

In different ways.... but I am paying about $90 more a month for a place with less amenities than where you are (I think).

It may be a rude awakening for FT Pierce with the loss of transients this year...or maybe thats the real reason for the hike.

Random billing for electric is definitely infuriating.....never seems to be fair unless a strict metering system with a reasonable surcharge.

We have metered billing (meter on each slip) but it gets billed once per quarter. This may be their way of limiting the labor overhead to go out and read the meters. We don’t have AC (don’t really need it) and our bill is about $50 per quarter.

We have metered electric at each slip, meters read and billed directly by the power company. Had to go to the power company to have meter turned on, pay deposit and set up billing.

We have metered electric at each slip, meters read and billed directly by the power company. Had to go to the power company to have meter turned on, pay deposit and set up billing.

Ours is like that, too.

This is just bothering me. Actually it’s not the money. It’s how it was done. A letter was sent out saying all that they provide. Examples:

Wireless internet. Totally not true. It never works. In fact I put a satellite system in just so I could work from the boat on occasion. Everyone complains they can’t get internet access.

Laundry facilities. No, you are not providing that as part of the slip fee. Have your quarters ready. It cost an arm and a leg to do a load. I bring mine home.

Security. Sure it’s gated but anybody can come in by boat. In fact, a boat that was next to me had his engine stolen off his dingy while he slept. I had my flag and pole stolen while I was not there. And a sea Ray boat a few slips down from me had parts stolen from the main engine while he was not there. So security? Um, no.

The letter also states there is a ship store. I’ve been there 2 years. If there is a ship store, I can’t find it.

Sounds like that would be good feedback to the marina. Or at least maybe they'll point out where the ship's store is. :)

FWIW. unless they're getting regular and near-daily feedback about the wireless internet access, they may not actually be aware how bad it is... because I'd guess they themselves operate on a separate, wired, system... and never see the slow-downs, disconnects, etc.

-Chris

Metered electricity is the fairest. Flat fee, yeah, great for full-time live aboards. Otherwise, not so much. Still, one must decide whether to stay or go based on total cost.

So, what is it there that keeps you there? Any slips for you across the way at Palm Coast.

I absolutely would have preferred to have a slip increase. I expected one since my annual contract renews in October. Just didn’t see this Electric thing coming. I don’t like the idea of subsidizing electric for those that are there full time. I keep my air up when I’m not there and run a small nightlight.

I think the marina we were in was the best deal going. My 20'x60' covered slip was $250/month. Electricity was metered and my billwas charged to me every 3 months. My average bill for 50A/240V and 50A/120V was $30/month. In the winter if it was a really cold winter and my 120V heaters ran a lot more my power would go up to about $45/month.

Donna, do you still have a slip? Be thankful. More boats are coming to Florida this winter because of covid. As a result, slips are in demand and prices will go up accordingly. All of this is without the normal Maple leaf crowd coming. I ended up buying a slip where I normally stay because there weren't going to be any seasonal rentals.

To the electric issue, recognize it for what it is. Your getting screwed. Marinas are restricted as to what they can mark up electricity above their wholesale cost. There is no limit on what they can charge for access to it. You need to decide whether you stay and accept the cost increase or not. IMO, I would figure that out and then see if you can parlay the increase to your benefit on a slip lease renewal without an increase.

This is going to be musical chairs until people start cruising out of the country again. More boats than slips will get ugly when the music stops.

Ted

I think the marina we were in was the best deal going. My 20'x60' covered slip was $250/month. Electricity was metered and my billwas charged to me every 3 months. My average bill for 50A/240V and 50A/120V was $30/month. In the winter if it was a really cold winter and my 120V heaters ran a lot more my power would go up to about $45/month.

That is a smoking deal. Almost 10 years ago we were paying almost $800 per month for a 50’ slip in San Diego and the marina wasn’t very nice. The bathrooms were always filthy and so we never used them but it was the only slip available. We were lucky to get it...

So, what is it there that keeps you there? Any slips for you across the way at Palm Coast.

No, Southerly is staying where she is. Palm coast marina is a mud hole with no amenities.

I am not complaining about the cost, just the way they are doing it and trying to justify it. I expected an increase. However not this way.

This is a 24% increase

And it's through the back door, so to speak.

Sure, if there is more demand than supply, they can raise slip rates. But just be honest about it. I hate "fake" fees that make it look like their hands are tied and someone else is to blame (such as the power company).

Why are more boats going to Florida because of Covid? With Desantis removing all restrictions Florida will become the most risky place in the US. That was my guess three months ago when we decided to winter over in Martyland (signed an annual contract that expires on 3/31/2021) rather than go to Florida. Geez, go to the grocery with few wearing masks, bars packed elbow to elbow, nope, not a place I want to be.
Donna, do you still have a slip? Be thankful. More boats are coming to Florida this winter because of covid. As a result, slips are in demand and prices will go up accordingly. All of this is without the normal Maple leaf crowd coming. I ended up buying a slip where I normally stay because there weren't going to be any seasonal rentals.

To the electric issue, recognize it for what it is. Your getting screwed. Marinas are restricted as to what they can mark up electricity above their wholesale cost. There is no limit on what they can charge for access to it. You need to decide whether you stay and accept the cost increase or not. IMO, I would figure that out and then see if you can parlay the increase to your benefit on a slip lease renewal without an increase.

This is going to be musical chairs until people start cruising out of the country again. More boats than slips will get ugly when the music stops.

Ted

Blessed to be in the PNW it seems!

Like others, our experience here (3 marinas in the last 20 years) is we are charged a very small monthly access fee to use our marina dock AC (currently $10 a month I think) and then assessed a KW/hr charge for our actual usage. (One marina in the past charged us if we went over a small nominal monthly use. Currently we pay any use.) We typically heat with resistance and dehumidify in winter and don't have air conditioning in summer. So like GFC, pretty small in summer, higher in winter when we have a dehumidifier and a little heat running. I'd have to check with the Admiral for sure, but I don't think our monthly electric bill ever gets more than $35 or $40 in the winter, and closer to $10 or $15 in summer.

Our first marina here was a county run port marina in La Conner, the second a privately owned/run marina in Anacortes, and now we are in a privately owned marina owned by an HOA of sorts in La Conner.

Might be the norm in the PNW for power based on our historical abundance of cheap power?

I feel for you with the communication and lack of empathy from your marina. Again I feel blessed; we have a pretty dang good marina when it comes to things like this. Even when we've "violated" the rules by putting our little runabout in our slip without getting prior authorization/permission, we got a phone call from the dock master first to clarify and inform rather than negative action. I think we are super lucky because our marina exists to serve the private homeowners in the community where it exists, so customer service is relatively high on its list of priorities. We're on a first name basis with the dock master and the office administrator for the marina. Because of the HOA-type public entity organization of our marina, any major policy changes are discussed in advance by presentation to a board of directors - if they decide to make a change they require some publication in advance of the change. We end up seeing it both in board meeting notice/minutes and then later in communications from the marina. However, that should be the NORM for any business with a tenant type customer base, marina or otherwise. Unfortunately not all fall into the business practice or situation we are in, and not all fall into the economic or other situations we find ourselves in in our part of the PNW, so other marinas might make other business decisions that have negative effects like you've seen here.

No, Southerly is staying where she is. Palm coast marina is a mud hole with no amenities.

I am not complaining about the cost, just the way they are doing it and trying to justify it. I expected an increase. However not this way.
I'm with you on it being a lousy approach. If been in the same marina for several years that had been under US Navy control (Treasure Island San Francis) . When the base closed, the city awarded the contract to a large marina company out of Socal (Almar). They promised no more than a $1/ft increase and all sorts of upgrades, one of the first was to meter electricity. Granted, slip rents were abnormally low due to military MWR facility ($3/ft which was less than half going rate in 1997), but the way Almar approached their business made folks feel like an ATM. The docks needed repair in 1997.very little had been done when I left in 2015 (good location, everything else was meh). Long on unkept promises. And lots of fee increases.

Management at a marina makes a huge difference. I moved Weebles to Emery Cove where the management had been in place for years. They had a legitimate capital improvement plan and kept the facilities in good working order. Nice place. I enjoyed my stay there.

Marinas claiming internet is perhaps the third great lie behind "check is in the mail" and...... well I won't say the second one for fear of getting slapped by moderators. Pisses me off to pay for internet but not be able to use it

Peter

Peter

Why are more boats going to Florida because of Covid? With Desantis removing all restrictions Florida will become the most risky place in the US. That was my guess three months ago when we decided to winter over in Martyland (signed an annual contract that expires on 3/31/2021) rather than go to Florida. Geez, go to the grocery with few wearing masks, bars packed elbow to elbow, nope, not a place I want to be.

Well for starters, you can be outdoors social distancing in a warm environment. You can use your boat instead of hibernate in it. Lots of places in Florida outside the big cities had low Covid infection rates.

Back to the original point. There are a lot of people who cruise there boats to the Caribbean either year round or for the winter. Most Americans came back to the States during the Covid outbreak in March through May. It appears that a lot of them will be staying in the USA for atleast this winter. Also with people not traveling outside the USA, boat sales have been strong, eating up more year round dockage in Florida. In the yacht club I winter in, some of the boats stay there for hurricane season and then move to the Caribbean for the winter. That doesn't appear to be happening this winter either. There also appears to be more Northern people buying cruising boats that for the time being will be kept in Florida for winter homes.

BTW, I appreciate your willingness to reduce the number of boats and people in FL this winter. Having spent 8 winters in Annapolis, I can appreciate what you will be going through. :(

Ted

Donna, have you checked out Lake Monroe Marina, Sanford, Florida ? they have a four tiered electric rate schedule, fresh water dockage, St. john’s River cruising, better location for bad weather, no wake makers and about 1 hours drive away.
Vote with your boat, many marina options.

Last edited:
The new billing from most electric co seems to be a high charge just for providing the wires and a lesser charge for the power.

Here in FL and CT its about $50.a month.

If the marina is considered a distributor , they may be billed that $50 per meter?

When the power charges are worked out , don't be shocked to see water meters.

Both power and water meters can now be fitted with senders to see use & billing in real time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom