Favorite Stops: Stuart to Savannah?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Fast

Vessel Name
Knot Fast
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH37
Weather permitting, we will say so long to the Okeechobee Waterway early next week and turn left at Stuart. Head North!

What are some favorite stops among the TF community along the stretch from Stuart to Savannah? [A search of the Marinas & Anchorages forum the last 2 years did not reveal this info...]

We are interested in anchorages/moorings with dinghy dock access, marina's and convenient provisioning stops.

Let me reference: Roughing out plans for ICW trip south. Wayfarer's thread that has great info on Savannah to Annapolis.

Mooring fields: Vero Beach, Titusville (can also anchor just north of the field), St Augustine, the free dock at Sisters Creek, Fernandina (can anchor as well).

Anchorages; the cut to the north inside the inlet at Fort Pierce, NASA Causeway Bridge (either side of the ICW), off Titusville, Sheepshead Cut in New Smyrna (though getting full with liveaboards), Rockhouse Creek (the cut to the east of the ICW at Ponce Inlet), I am not a fan of anchoring anywhere in Daytona, Pine Island north of St Augustine, Fort George River, Fernandina, Cumberland, just south of Morningstar marina in St Simons (CG designated), then to Savannah.

Last edited:
Fort Pierce municipal marina is a good stop
Vero Beach is good (only done a mooring)
Melbourne Causeway MM 918 N or S of the causeway
Pineda Causeway MM 910 N or S of the causeway
Titusville municipal moorings $25
Rockhouse Creek anchorage MM 842
Seabreeze Blvd anchorage MM 829 NE of bridge
St. Augustine municipal dock or mooring Good Eats!
Pine Island South anchorage MM 765
Cumberland Island sound anchorage MM 707
Brunswick landing marina
Frederica river anchorage MM 673
Kill Kenny Creek anchorage MM 614

Ted

Jekyll Island near Brunswick, Ga.

If you like old architecture and history worth a stop ....once. Not a bad little cafe at the marina either...though it changes management a lot it seems....

For marinas along there, we liked Fernandina Beach and the Morningstar/Golden Isle place near Brunswick.

I've stayed at St. Augustine Municipal and Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach; liked both but that was a long time ago...

-Chris

Mooring fields: Vero Beach, Titusville (can also anchor just north of the field), St Augustine, the free dock at Sisters Creek, Fernandina (can anchor as well).

Anchorages; the cut to the north inside the inlet at Fort Pierce, NASA Causeway Bridge (either side of the ICW), off Titusville, Sheepshead Cut in New Smyrna (though getting full with liveaboards), Rockhouse Creek (the cut to the east of the ICW at Ponce Inlet), I am not a fan of anchoring anywhere in Daytona, Pine Island north of St Augustine, Fort George River, Fernandina, Cumberland, just south of Morningstar marina in St Simons (CG designated), then to Savannah.

Why don’t you like to anchor in Fernandina or Cumberland? We have dropped in both, especially Cumberland and found them to be very suitable.

Why don’t you like to anchor in Fernandina or Cumberland? We have dropped in both, especially Cumberland and found them to be very suitable.

That comment was just for Daytona!! I was listing south to north. The rest were recommended.

St Lucie Lock Campground Docks....
Too tried to think...
Crossing Lake O was fantastic!

Attachments

• 20200925_190910.jpg
    20200925_190910.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 50
Great feedback, thanks guys!
We had a fun cruise yesterday. Decided late, 11a, to cross Lake O. The internet was slow and weather was good, so we departed Roland Martins. Light chop and light wind the whole way. A friendly, lonely lock tender at Port Mayaca was glad to see us!

I am studying the feedback thus far and plotting our next moves. Menzies, we have no pets aboard. Lynn and I both work remotely, which means work occasionally interrupts cruising M-F. I am self-employed so cruising interrupting my work is SOP.

Our plan is to cruise slowly north without a plan, seeing interesting sights. When we notice it is cold we will turn around and return to home port in St Pete for the winter.

I now have a wealth of suggestions on anchorages, moorings and marinas. Any interesting sites or activities along the way? Covid make the options fewer. We are good walkers and will brave an Uber occasionally.
-David

Cumberland Island National park!

Use the anchorage at the park headquarters and walk the ruins of Dungeness. I've done it several times and always enjoy going back. The forest is interesting with a high canopy. The beach is very nice. Dungeness could best be described as a sprawling self sufficient plantation. The Island has lots of history and something like 160 wild horses.

Ted

Stuart to Savannah: some favorite anchorages, mooring fields and marinas

Stuart (985 ICW MM) to Savannah (577 ICW MM)
• South-to-North: some favorite anchorages, mooring fields, marinas and activities from those posting on this thread.

988 – “The Crossroads” = key nav point [ICW x OWW x St Lucie Inlet]

988 - Manatee Pocket = anchorage, Stuart, several marina dinghy docks, stores & restaurants nearby, KF

8 OWW - Sunset Bay Marina, Stuart = docks often sold out, large mooring field with great services, OC
Stuart has a free pump-out boat paid for by the city, call them and they show up and pump

966 - Fort Pierce City Marina = a good stop, OC

952 - Vero Beach City Marina = docks and moorings, OC

918 - Melbourne Causeway = anchorage N or S of the causeway, OC

909 - Pineda Causeway = anchorage N or S of the causeway, OC

885 - NASA Causeway Bridge = anchorage, either side of the ICW, MZ

878 - Titusville Marina = docks and moorings ($25), OC [can also anchor just north of the field, MZ]

845 - Sheepshead Cut = anchorage, New Smyrna, MZ

842 - Rockhouse Creek = anchorage, OC, MZ

829 – Daytona / Seabreeze Blvd = anchorage, NE of bridge, OC

778 - St. Augustine Municipal Marina = dock & moorings, Good Eats! OC
Activities: good walking city with many historical landmarks

765 - Pine Island South = anchorage, OC, MZ

740 – St Johns River / JAX = key nav point

739 - Sisters Creek Marina = Free Dock (Jim King Park, no e-, side-to) MZ

717 - Fernandina Harbor Marina, Fernandina Beach, RA (& anchorage MZ)

707 - Cumberland Island Sound = anchorage, OC, MZ
Activities: Cumberland Island National Park! National Park Island, ruins, hiking, beach, dinghy landing [per Waterway guide: you can dinghy into the docks and go ashore, bring cash for the landing fee] OC: Use the anchorage at the park headquarters and walk the ruins of Dungeness. The forest is a high canopy. The beach is very nice. Dungeness could best be described as a sprawling self-sufficient plantation. The Island has lots of history and something like 160 wild horses.

685 - Jekyll Harbor Marina = Jekyll Island near Brunswick, Ga. If you like old architecture and history worth a stop, once. Not a bad little cafe at the marina either, PS

680 - Brunswick Landing Marina = downtown Brunswick, OC

677 - Morningstar Marina = Golden Isles, near Brunswick, RA

677 - Lanier Island South = anchorage, MZ

673 - Frederica River = anchorage, OC

614 - Kill Kenny Creek = anchorage, OC

577 - Savannah River = key nav point

If I didn’t list your suggestion it is because I could not find it on Waterway Guide or Navionics. Please make more suggestions, including fun shore activities that might be available in these strange covid times. I will wait a week, then update the compiled list again. Thanks Everybody!!

Excellent! I'm hoping to get down to the northern third of Florida somewhere this winter, and was going to start a thread like this. Now I don't have to. Thanks Knot! And thanks to everyone who added intel.

Add in Fort George River. Great anchorage, Kingsley Plantation, sandbars, Little Talbot State Park, beaches etc.

Add in Fort George River. Great anchorage, Kingsley Plantation, sandbars, Little Talbot State Park, beaches etc.

Have stayed there several times. This is an area where you need to do your homework if you draft 4' or better. Definitely want to enter the river on a high tide the first time as there is a significant sandbar at the entrance. River currents and dredging can move the deeper cut through the bar from year to year. There is a significant tidal change, so it's important to pick a good anchor spot. The walk around the plantation was interesting.

Ted

Have stayed there several times. This is an area where you need to do your homework if you draft 4' or better. Definitely want to enter the river on a high tide the first time as there is a significant sandbar at the entrance. River currents and dredging can move the deeper cut through the bar from year to year. There is a significant tidal change, so it's important to pick a good anchor spot. The walk around the plantation was interesting.

Ted

Been going up there a couple of dozen times a year with the family on the Silverton since 2001. Less frequently in Sonas but still a couple of times month in the RIB.

There is a deep water route in there at any tide. Once past Green 73 you line up the large chimney stack on the power plant towards Jacksonville with the house with the tin roof on the north side of the river. You will carry 11 feet all the way in there. Once in you will have 15-20 staying 50-75 feet off the south bank of the river.

Where it changes every winter with the storms is once past the plantation and the cross over point between the sandbars further in. We used to be conservative with our anchoring the first time every spring until we saw a couple of low tides and worked out what had changed over the winter.

We anchor Sonas just past the plantation and before the sandbars, just past river marker green 3. Same spot for the past five years.

Good holding in there and lots to do, even red fish hunting off your boat.

Just don't go more than 150-200 feet or so past Green 3 would be my advice. If I am around I can use the RIB to guide you in.

Have a look (as usual I have a video for that!) :D (At 3:45 you can see the covered sandbar just past where we are anchored. That uncovers around half tide.

Last edited:
For us, Sunbury Crab Company is (now was) one of the best kept secrets while cruising in Georgia. It's tiny and cool and quirky and beautiful. It's about seven statute miles northwest of St. Catherines Sound, off the beaten path of the ICW. Excellent depths and easy access. Don't know about going there in the times of Covid as the restaurant "experience" is the primary reason most seek it out, but the grounds are beautiful and if you're looking for a chill day or two in a "different" kind of place during your adventure, consider it. It's 67 sm from Morningstar in St Simon and sets you up for an easy final leg to Savannah.

A bit on our experience there: https://myoloh.com/northbound-19-travel-day-10-st-simons-ga-to-sunbury-ga

For us, Sunbury Crab Company is (now was) one of the best kept secrets while cruising in Georgia. It's tiny and cool and quirky and beautiful. It's about seven statute miles northwest of St. Catherines Sound, off the beaten path of the ICW. Excellent depths and easy access. Don't know about going there in the times of Covid as the restaurant "experience" is the primary reason most seek it out, but the grounds are beautiful and if you're looking for a chill day or two in a "different" kind of place during your adventure, consider it. It's 67 sm from Morningstar in St Simon and sets you up for an easy final leg to Savannah.

A bit on our experience there: https://myoloh.com/northbound-19-travel-day-10-st-simons-ga-to-sunbury-ga

We are toying with going up to Hilton Head for a few days soon. We usually try to go outside to St Simons, then next day outside to Hilton Head. Looks like the seas for the next couple of weeks aren't conducive for going outside so we might just look this place up and make it a three day trip up.

Fernandina Beach

The city marina has been closed for a few years. Seriously damaged from more that one hurricane. Well this marina has opened and makes this town available again. Great place for a visit. Two great restaurant suggestions : Burlingames and Davids. Lots of live music to enjoy after dinner. Bottom line don't miss it.

Beaufort, SC

We absolutely love Beaufort, SC. The mooring field is good and is close to the dinghy dock, there's a wonderful waterfront park, there is one of the best libraries around just a few blocks away, there's a really good bagel shop, groceries, whatever you need. It's a fantastic stop. Plan to spend some time there, though, and don't rush it.

The city marina has been closed for a few years. Seriously damaged from more that one hurricane. Well this marina has opened and makes this town available again. Great place for a visit. Two great restaurant suggestions : Burlingames and Davids. Lots of live music to enjoy after dinner. Bottom line don't miss it.

Anchored off Cumberland Wednesday night, tied up at Fernandina last night, walked the town and had dinner. Back at the Cumberland anchorage tonight.

Life is good!

Stuart (985 ICW MM) to Savannah (577 ICW MM)
• South-to-North: some favorite anchorages, mooring fields, marinas and activities from those posting on this thread.

988 – “The Crossroads” = key nav point [ICW x OWW x St Lucie Inlet]

966 - Fort Pierce City Marina = a good stop, OC

952 - Vero Beach City Marina = docks and moorings, OC

765 - Pine Island South = anchorage, OC, MZ

740 – St Johns River / JAX = key nav point

739 - Sisters Creek Marina = Free Dock (Jim King Park, no e-, side-to) MZ

717 - Fernandina Harbor Marina, Fernandina Beach, RA (& anchorage MZ)

707 - Cumberland Island Sound = anchorage, OC, MZ

680 - Brunswick Landing Marina = downtown Brunswick, OC

677 - Morningstar Marina = Golden Isles, near Brunswick, RA

677 - Lanier Island South = anchorage, MZ

673 - Frederica River = anchorage, OC

614 - Kill Kenny Creek = anchorage, OC

577 - Savannah River = key nav point

Lurking here for a while, glad to finally make my 2nd post.
What are the letters after the description?
KF
OC
MZ
PS
RA
Thanks, Bill

Lurking here for a while, glad to finally make my 2nd post.
What are the letters after the description?
KF
OC
MZ
PS
RA
Thanks, Bill

Initials/short form of the member who suggested the stop.

Just a couple miles south of the OWW/ICW junction is Peck Lake. Small anchorage and frequent wakes but a great place for ocean beach access. We received our worst waking ever while anchored here. A huge SF blew by at about 30 knots while the wind held us beam-to.

Great beaches and spoil islands around Fort Pierce. Highly recommend Cocoa Village Marina in Cocoa Village. Nice marina and take a day or two to visit Cape Canaveral.

We are booked in for Sunday, with reservation in the restaurant.

I asked her for outside seating and she kindly told me that their restaurant doesn't have any walls! :D

Attachments

• Sunbury.jpg
    Sunbury.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
We are booked in for Sunday, with reservation in the restaurant.
Please tell Miss Elaine that the OLOH Crew sends big hugs and we'll be back!
And a big hello to Kenny to if he's still there. Let us know what you think and have a blast!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom