Copper pieces in the chilller strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonScatt

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jackie Season
Vessel Make
Beneteau 50' Swift Trawler
We keep our ST50 in the Florida Gulf Coast. I battle constantly with the marine growth the believes my chiller strainer to be the ideal place to start a new home. After a number of months of cleaning it out every other week, I was told that puting bromine tablets in there will reduce the growth. Bingo! I still cleaned it every 2 weeks but the growth was almost nil.

Yesterday I had a guy working in the chiller system, and while the system was off I thought I’d clean the strainer. When I mentioned that I need to got more bromine, he told me that bromine would cause significant corrosion internally (which I guess makes sense) and that I should put cut up pieces of copper pipe in there. I know copper is used in bottom paint to keep the growth down, so at first I thought that was a great idea but I got to thinking about corrosion and dissimilar metals.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas what I can expect? Any help greatly appreciated

I use 1/2” copper elbows, purchased by the bag at big box store

That's good thinking, Terry. I bought a length of pipe and cut it up, but elbows are much more logical. Has it been working for you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom