Another water heater thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
I have an electric water heater in my boat. When I am docked in my slip and on shore power, should I keep the water on at all times or should I turn it off?

If you're off the boat for a day or more, I would turn it off. If you have enough shore power capacity for everything, no reason to turn it off while aboard.

Ted

I turn it on when I’m on board. Leave it off the rest of the time, when it would just be a waste of energy to do otherwise. Mine is only 22 liters, though. Can make scalding hot water within 15 minutes of turning it on.

I turn it on when I’m on board. Leave it off the rest of the time, when it would just be a waste of energy to do otherwise. Mine is only 22 liters, though. Can make scalding hot water within 15 minutes of turning it on.

Need to get us a smaller HWS
Ours is 180 litres household 240v unit and takes over an hour to do and 95% of the time on solar/inverter.
When it dies, it will be replaced with a 50 litre household 240v unit hoping to cut the battery rape x 50% or more.

Out of interest, can you get a couple of quick warm showers and the washing up done on that 22litres?

Out of interest, can you get a couple of quick warm showers and the washing up done on that 22litres?

You can but you may not want to. When we cruised the Bahamas many years ago we survived on 5 gallons (18 liters) per day for the two of us, both hot and cold. It required doing very quick showers and saving any cool water to a container for dishwashing before it got hot. It was a PITA but we made it work.

Just managing with 5 gallons of hot water should be easy particularly if you are mixing it with cold 50/50 for showers.

David

The water in the heater will stay hot for a day and will heat up in under an hour. My vote is turn the heater off if you leave the boat or any time the pressure water pump is off.

Weather your marina has switched to billing for electric yet might be a factor.

I turn the water heater on when cruising.

At it's home slip, I turn it off.

I turn off the pump and heater when I'm leaving the boat . but I also close the thru hulls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom