Canadian Derilicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took the city of San Diego over twenty years and millions of taxpayer dollars to rid their "free anchorage" of derelict and sunken boats. Now the "free anchorage" is limited to outside the bay, with strict rules to follow.

Not a great solution in San Diegos case...but if the one news report was correct that the Canadian Supreme court ruled that towns can govern waterways (of course more info is needed)...that could be an ugly decision for mariners transiting up north.....

Of course it may be a part of the Northwest Passage issue....

Not a great solution in San Diegos case...but if the one news report was correct that the Canadian Supreme court ruled that towns can govern waterways (of course more info is needed)...that could be an ugly decision for mariners transiting up north.....

Of course it may be a part of the Northwest Passage issue....

What could go wrong?......The Canadians have it all figured out

What could go wrong?......The Canadians have it all figured out
Although you are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am sorry for whatever happened to you to cause your dislike of Canadians, but your comments don't help international relations??:dance:

But when your #1 you have to expect it. It’s not easy being perfect.

So. How this works is that municipalities can lease water lots and regulate them. Unlike in the states, this was not a widespread practice in BC.

Cities would like a say in what goes on and directly impacts their waterfront. They welcome responsible boaters, but had no tools to deal with what are effectively floating tent-cities.

As a member of the waterfront committee, I advocated this to our city quite a few years ago when a wreck of a boat decided to anchor off of our main beach in town and dinghy in to wreck the washrooms on a regular basis. Summer tourists and campers could watch naked people get drunk and yell obscenities on their wreck of an old fishboat covered with blue tarps at one of the prime locations to watch a sunset.

Luckily is it a lousy anchorage and the fall winds took care of it. Boat was found up at twin islands on the rocks.

This is a good thing.

Unless you are a homeless drug using miscreant.

Having gone through this as a boater , a Coastie and a local resident...I can see a lot of angles.

Florida went through this and elected to step up and take much of the say so away from local governments because it became too confusing when towns obviously over stepped the intention of removing undesirables.

What clearly has worked in my mindis the Florida plan... federal navigation rights trump all (derelicts and navigation laws rarely have the same needs).....the state keeps towns from eliminating all vessels from most areas that really never needed regulation ( governments were being influenced by the rich and unreasonable)....and the towns if they wanted organized boating/waterfronts...they could propose a plan to the state and put in large mooring fields that could regulate vessels after probation periods and final approval.

Last edited:
..but if the one news report was correct that the Canadian Supreme court ruled that...

Canada's courts are different than yours, I guess.

BC has a Supreme Court (where this case was tried) and then there is the Supreme Court of Canada.

Two vastly different beasts.

In case anyone's interested:

Each type of court has its own jurisdiction, which means that it has the authority to decide specific types of cases. Canada has four levels of court.

1. Provincial and territorial (lower) courts: These courts handle most cases that come into the system. They are established by provincial and territorial governments.

2. Provincial and territorial superior courts: These are courts of plenary, or complete, jurisdiction established under section 96 of the Constitution Act, 1867. They deal with more serious crimes and also hear appeals from provincial and territorial courts. The Federal Court is on the same level, but is responsible for deciding civil matters assigned to it by statute, such as immigration and patents.

3. Provincial and territorial courts of appeal and the Federal Court of Appeal.

4. The Supreme Court of Canada, which is the final court of appeal for Canada.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/ccs-ajc/02.html

Well it seems PNW has the same issue/problem. B.C. courts are basically stating the the municipality owns the land under the water? If so this is what Washington State has done.

I have a dock. I own the dock and a small strip of land. However, any land from high tide outward that is under water is owned by the state.

Derelicts have increased along in the Portland area. It got so bad I believe Portland passed a law that restricted moorage.

Now these derilics have discovered other areas like St. Helens Oregon. They camp out in the near buy channels, then they come to town and fill up the city dock. Then things start disappearing from boats like us. St. Helens has tried to regulate the time on the docks to 14 days in any month. So they have figured out how to get around it.

Below is a link to Portland. Even 40 miles down river in our neck of the woods is this cement sail boat. He got tossed from the dock due to non payment of moorage fees and insurance. I am worried about it dragging and ASD could be in its path.

One place I see may be changing in Canada is across from Nanaimo. Lots of derilics there all summer.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/201...waterways-receive-long-awaited-attention.html

20200923_163718.jpeg

What's going on here on TF today?

Did I miss some sort of Canadian led affront to your national pride in the OP's linked news piece?

Murray, I sense here that there is nothing really going on other than the usual banter and rivalry between two close countries, as there is also between Australia and New Zealand. Being a dual citizen, I now see the funny side of it. Usually there is an element of over-reaction on the part of the smaller (in population) country, because they feel they are the underdog, and the larger brother (by population) tends to take advantage of this, and loves to prod the tender spots. From the sidelines here, as it were, I see this going on a lot with respect to US and Canadian relations. Just sayin'... :D

So the video said they had until May to comply. Its now September. What is the current status?

Murray, I sense here that there is nothing really going on other than the usual banter and rivalry between two close countries, as there is also between Australia and New Zealand. Being a dual citizen, I now see the funny side of it. Usually there is an element of over-reaction on the part of the smaller (in population) country, because they feel they are the underdog, and the larger brother (by population) tends to take advantage of this, and loves to prod the tender spots. From the sidelines here, as it were, I see this going on a lot with respect to US and Canadian relations. Just sayin'... :D

That would be the normal state of affairs here as well...the weird part is Americans calling Canadians #1 :eek:

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am sorry for whatever happened to you to cause your dislike of Canadians, but your comments don't help international relations??:dance:

In the USA we have a CONSTITUTION that gives rights to individuals who may or may or not be fiscally responsible for whatever judgement body seems appropriate. some people who live aboard may not live up to your standards But they are US citizens with rights! I just hate the Canadian attitude that the USA does nothing to deter such situations.... Just keep in mind, who Is Canada going to look to to defend it if the Situation gets real.... Like it or not, USA is the cops of North America... I live in Florida and love hearing the Canadian snow birds (prior covid) coming to town and telling us "how it ought to be,here is how we do it up north" If it is so great, why come here, and try to change us. Bartenders and waitresses hate most Canadians because they don't tip...In Canada, Meal price includes tip.... Well in The dirty, bad USA it doesn't....

Last edited:
In the USA we have a CONSTITUTION that gives rights to individuals who may or may or not be fiscally responsible for whatever judgement body seems appropriate. some people who live aboard may not live up to your standards But they are US citizens with rights! I just hate the Canadian attitude that the USA does nothing to deter such situations.... Just keep in mind, who Is Canada going to look to to defend it if the Situation gets real.... Like it or not, USA is the cops of North America... I live in Florida and love hearing the Canadian snow birds (prior covid) coming to town and telling us "how it ought to be,here is how we do it up north" If it is so great, why come here, and try to change us. Bartenders and waitresses hate most Canadians because they don't tip...In Canada, Meal price includes tip.... Well in The dirty, bad USA it doesn't....

Just to mention that meal price includes tip in Canada makes you loose any credibility and shows you don't know much about Canada.

L

..I live in Florida and love hearing the Canadian snow birds (prior covid) coming to town and telling us "how it ought to be,here is how we do it up north"...

Oh, so that's what's going on. I couldn't figure out how you got your nose out of joint from what was posted in this thread.

We should be willing to learn from each other; all countries!

Yeah. Look at it this way. Again drawing a parallel with the Oz/NZ thing. They love to stir up each other, with a 'friendly' rivalry, especially at sport, but let some other outsider country threaten either in any real way, and suddenly they'd have the whole of North America to deal with right..? Same Downunder... :flowers:

My brother boats on the Great Lakes. Once or twice a year he and his wife go on an extended cruise. Michigan has an extensive system of marinas and pump outs and other facilities. Only guessing, most are privately owned but inspected by the state.
I called him this year and asked about crossing the border while cruising. He said, "Canada does not want US boats in their waters." SHRUG So he and his wife have found more and more to do in US waters. I do not know how many miles of shoreline Michigan has but it is a bunch. With the restrictions of US boats, I am sure the towns and cities along the shore appreciate the influx of tourist dollars. This allows them to improve the facilities making the marina even more desirable.
So, in the broad spectrum, it is a loss of US tourist dollars to Canada and an increase to Michigan tourist dollars.
When and if the restrictions are ever lifted, maybe some, for whatever reason, will go visit Canada again. For now, the tourist/boating dollars remain in Michigan.

Near as I can figure out, it perhaps a skirmish between relatives. Give it time....
Canda nether the ability nor the money to string a fence or a wall in the Great Lakes. BUT there is talk of making the Canadian/US border more secure.
There are a few town that straddle the 2 borders .....
I guess someone will have to construct a wall down main street with border guards and crossing points LOL Think of it, guard towers, machine gun emplacements ..... Yea right, that's not going to happen.
It is just a squabble..... We, the US and Canada, will sort this out or maybe turn a blind eye to these towns and cities straddling the border.
My brother did indicate, the Bridge, in Detroit and maybe Port Huron, are busier than ever with trucks. And yes, there are daily 'essential' people still coming into Michigan and returning every night.
Of course I have not addressed the many people who would go to Canada for a week or two during hunting season. I am afraid these border restrictions will have a significant negative effect on the Canadian hunting camps etc.

Last edited:
Good Information Dan. Did your brother mention anything about the Detroit river smugglers ? Wonder if the traffic of cigarettes, liquor and beer has taken a hit. When we did the loop I noticed the Canadian boaters for the most part drank US beers. I thought this was strange because Canada has great beers. Later I found out The Beer Store prices doubled prices in US, so boat cross the lake and save half on a load of US beers. That was the answer according to the Beer Store clerk. The double price was also explained so big brother could take care of the impending medical problems of drinking demon alcohol.
We also found an excellent no alcohol beer for sale in the Canadian grocery stores. I ended up buying several cases before we crossed the border. I can’t recall the name but it was the best tasting non alcohol beer I had ever purchased.
PS
All is forgiven, Germany is #1 at least in the beer category.
Excuse the beer drift to the thread.

Last edited:
Good Information Dan. Did your brother mention anything about the Detroit river smugglers ? Wonder if the traffic of cigarettes, liquor and beer has taken a hit.
All is forgiven, Germany is #1 at least in the beer category.
Excuse the beer drift to the thread.

During probation, there was at least one pipeline under the Detroit River.
I suspect there is more than enough "American Beer" brewed in Canada (brewed under license.....). As someone pointed out, "No one buys beer, they only rent it."
Cigarette smuggling? No idea. Perhaps it is like disposable diapers in the islands. I am told you will get a better spot on the dock if you give some disposable diapers to the dock master. Same with US beer. A case of beer goes a long way when getting improved service.

So the video said they had until May to comply. Its now September. What is the current status?

Looking at the date above the video it's from March 2018....so this is really old news.

Anyone know the outcome?

OldDan; the border closure is not a skirmish between relatives or a squabble.

We've had 141,756 cases and you've had 7,141,923.

We've had over 9,000 deaths and you've had over 200,000.

The USA has 10 times our population and 48.3 times our confirmed Covid-19 cases.

The border is closed because your country has not handled the pandemic well. In addition to no consistent messaging from the top down, wasting 5 weeks trying to come up with a 'made in America' test in the beginning when tests made elsewhere in the world were available just made things worse.

To put it into perspective, imagine your southern neighbour had 10 times your population (3.2 billion people) and 48 times your confirmed Covid-19 cases (344,954,960 cases) and then maybe you'll understand why we don't want people from the USA visiting our country right now.

We took Covid-19 seriously from the start and don't want to squander all that sacrifice and effort by allowing a free flow of people from the USA across our border.

Last edited:
To all Canadians here, Jack probably also gets bent out of shape seeing New Yawkers coming down here telling us how to do things. So just think of yourselves as accepted like any other state.:hide:

MurrayM, I still considerate a skirmish or squabble≥ Neither side are sending out armed patrols.... I haven't read about anyone sneaking into Canada nor sneaking into the US from Canada.
If a boat strays over the 'line', more times than not, they are chased down and given a warning.... Oh that is ignoring the isolated boater who is dead set on getting arrested and then taken to a Canadian facility for further processing.
I suspect most American boater try to respect that invisible line, crossing into Canadian waters.
I do not know of anything in Canada that I cant live without.
I worked in Canada for about 4 months. The people I met and worked with were fine people. I do hope I left the same impression with them.
It is my humble opinion, both Canada and the US are populated by mostly wonderful people.
Again, I say, we will work through this, together.

How is Canada handling those towns that straddle the 2 borders?

Last edited:
Oh, so that's what's going on. I couldn't figure out how you got your nose out of joint from what was posted in this thread.

We should be willing to learn from each other; all countries!

We missed our trip to BC this year. We are looking forward to getting back and enjoying the beautiful country and people. Based on the number of boats stacked in the San Juan Islands all summer, I'm guessing most Puget Sound boaters feel the same.

I'm really concerned about the financial well being of the remote resorts and marinas in BC. They have a small window for their yearly income. The closed border has to leave leave a void.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom