Hose clamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panhead56

Veteran Member
I’m getting ready to replace the A/C hose “clamps”. I replaced a few last year and the bolts rusted (not the band).
The hose is 5/8” dia. I’m having a hard time trying to find true 316 SS quality clamps. Looks like I might need 1/2” x 1-1/4” clamps?
Does anyone have any recommendations/experience on where to purchase?
Thanks,

Completely tangential, but I just did two repairs using ClampTite's stainless wire tool. Fixed a garden hose end that'd gotten corroded, and the air pressure lead on a cordless inflator. It's a bit spendy but it does a nice job. In the case of the garden hose, none of the retail patching kits works well (or doesn't use an ugly-ass clamp that get in the way) and there wasn't room inside the Ryobi inflator to allow for a screw-type hose clamp. Both of these repairs used barbed-end fittings, so the wire could compress the hose wall enough to ensure a tight fit that's unlikely to pull loose.

In a pinch I'd use one for boat hoses, but it does need good clearance to work the tool. Beyond the room to make the tool fit 'straight in' you need to have an arc around the area to engage the last action that secures the connection. In some tight quarters there might not be as much room as desired.

As for clamp sources, does McMaster have them?
https://www.mcmaster.com/45945K63/
https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-hose-clamps/housing-material~316-stainless-steel/

Dixon and Trident are two of the brands we've used for SS hose clamps. You can find them on Amazon on your local hydraulics supply store (assuming you have one).

Wow,
Had a '60 pan. Never pushed a bike so much in my life but still wish I had it!
Clamps - need to be careful, hardware store and automotive supply represented as SS are as you discovered band only. The drive screw and holder are often not stainless and they are not marine rated. See failures quite often. If you buy from West Marine or other marine retailer you pay accordingly but it's cheap insurance in the event of a failure and subsequent insurance inspection.

Tridon and others make SS worm gear clamps that have a SS screw. The standard is a SS bank but a mild steel screw which will rust soon.

You have to specify the ALL SS . Tridon uses HAS and MAH I believe as the prefix. Made of 304 SS.

Tridon also does make a 316 SS clamp but that is not readily available I have found. I perused their website a while back. You may have to order them likely from your chandler or a smaller scale industrial supply house.

THere are better clamps out there but sometime they can be a big pain to find.
Usually the all 304 SS Tridons are more than good enough unless they are being wetted constantly with seawater.

Why don't you try the west marine in Tarpon Springs?

AWAB or ABA make 316 S/S clamps. They are some of the best available.

AWAB second that. Started with my exhaust and stuffing box when they first came out now have converted just about everything. Expensive but worth it.

AWAB or ABA make 316 S/S clamps. They are some of the best available.

And they have no penetrations to damage the hose. They also have rolled edges to protect the hose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom