View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 04:49 AM   #12
Frosty
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Remember the OP is in Montreal so his boat will likely be inside half the year. So getting a 2 part paint to last 10 years is not that hard. Also at the latitude the sun isn’t as fierce as say Florida.
I bought a boat that had been in Michigan since new, one owner. He kept in a slip all summer; stored it outside but covered in winter. It had been Awlgripped 20 years prior to my buying it. Still looked like it had been done yesterday; no particular maintenance on his part (normal rinsing).

I didn't own it super long, but the people I sold it to still own it. It has now been on a Chesapeake mooring nearly year around for 12 years (not as bad as Florida, but plenty of sun and nearly year around exposure, plus the lesser typical care of a moored boat - no dock hose, etc).

It has now been 33 years since it was Awlgripped. I believe the "new" owners have had it buffed (with Awlgrip this means you are to the buying-time stage as you don't normally buff it). Still looks pretty decent, IMO.

My shoulders are aching just thinking of buffing gelcoat over 33 years. (I've done it on other boats.)

--Original molded gelcoat? Sure, keep it going as long as you can (I would).

--Spot repairs? Gelcoat.

--A complete new job on an existing boat? 2-part paint all the way in my book (Awlgrip, etc)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote