New pettit bottom paints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooksie

Guru
Vessel Name
Island Seeker
Vessel Make
Willard 36 Sedan
Has anyone made any sense out of the 4-5 new Pettit bottom paints.
I am a Hydrocoat user and am very leery of new Pettit products after their disastrous EZ Poxy II (now off the market) I'm not sure they know what they are doing after that.
Any firsthand experience? Any insight? Looks like this may be the end for the Hydrocoat paints.

I’m a big fan of Petit Trinidad SR. Don’t know anything about the new products.

Jim

I've been testing black widow as a prop speed alternative on my running gear. A couple areas started showing a primer adhesion failure after a few months, but I think that's down to a prep issue or not having chosen the ideal primer. The paint has held up well so far otherwise and stays pretty clean (fresh water). The little bit of slime on it wipes right off with my bare hand. And it's pretty slippery too.

I don’t necessarily like to try new products, especially in bottom paints. It is too expensive and labor intensive to use something unknown. Particularly when there are proven alternatives.

Why do you say the end of Hydrocoat? Still listed on their website, and still for sale everywhere.

Trinidad SR still seems to be the best, but requires sanding to re-coat and you can't haul the boat without recoating.

Will be interested in the story on Hydrocoat. I'm looking for a hard finish that will withstand use with a trailer.

Why do you say the end of Hydrocoat? Still listed on their website, and still for sale everywhere.
I know it is still available. I am just assuming they will discontinue it shortly.

Most of the new paints have 1/2 the copper content.

I don’t necessarily like to try new products, especially in bottom paints. It is too expensive and labor intensive to use something unknown. Particularly when there are proven alternatives.

Agree for sure. That's why I am asking.

Used to use tin. Worked the best but now deemed unsafe for the environment. Now they want to get rid of copper. The new anti slime and biologicals just don’t work. Doesn’t matter who you get them from. The no VOCs just aren’t as good. The science about the toxicity of bottom paint is probably correct but the social policy is nonsensical. If you take all the recreational boats who get bottom paint and compare it to the navy let alone commercial shipping it’s a drop in the bucket. However they can use stuff that works better. The US market is to a large measure driven by what California permits. Used to be able to get around this by doing a short haul in Grenada or St.Lucia and get the running gear and bottom done. That opportunity is currently gone.
So best suggestion is to wait until Practical Sailor does its usual comparisons testing. Use their budget buy or if you’re not going to haul for a while or berth in a high fouling area use their best recommended.

BTW- everyone I know who has used the 10 year copper coat stuff hasn’t been pleased.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom