Can/US border crossing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ASD I can’t figure out how to view the article.
Not an unusual state of mind for me.
I see it’s in the business section and with the pic of the road curve and red trucks.
But it dosn’t seem to open for me.

Glad you could ASD and I agree a good article.
My prediction that the border would open on Nov. 21st is not to be re the article.

Greetings,
Mr. NW. Nov. 21st, 2021, perhaps.

Strange times...

giphy.gif

RT that’s what I predicted based on the idea that a minimal number of Americans will go north in Nov. and future predictions could be based or estimated on the results of what happened in December.

And it may come to pass but this article predicts the border will be closed for many more months. And the Canadian people may be the force that keeps the border closed even longer. They are (as a whole) bent on keeping Americans out.

Greetings,
Mr. NW. "They are (as a whole) bent on keeping COVID out." There, I fixed it for ya.

Of course that’s the idea.
I put emphasis on this by using “Americans” rather than infected people.
In everything I’ve read it’s stated that Canadian’s are very apprehensive about Americans coming back. When we go back we need to be very respectful and anticipate a fair amount of flack. It may not be pleasant either.

I love Canada and Canadians and wishI was there now.
But of course I wouldn’t even if the border was open unless I had evidence that Canadians were supportive of that.

RT,
Are you sure you want to be known as the “Fixer” ?

The problem is that Americans are not stoping the spread of the virus through our actions.

I go to the grocerey store and I see few people sanitizing the grocery cart handles. I see very few taking precautions when touching common areas in public places. I see very few attempting to reduce airborn transmission by wearing a mask.

Because of our actions, and our actions alone our cases are surging at least in my state of Alaska. This is not a government failure, it is our individual and collective failure. We are failing to do the right thing. I have no clue why.

I have been exposed to hazards in the workplace my entire career. This is no different. Take the proper precautions and you mitigate the risk, but we, yes us Americans Choose not to do that.

No wonder Canada does not want us to come there.

Last edited:
The problem is that Americans, are not stoping the spread of the virus through our actions.

I go to the grocerey store and I see few people sanitizing the grocery cart handles. I see veery few taking precautions when touching common areas in public places. I see very few attempting to reduce airborn transmission by wearing a mask.

Because of our actions, and our actions alone our cased are surging at least in my state of Alaska. This is not a government failure, it is our individual and collective failure. We are failing to do the right thing.

+1

Wipe your own grocery cart handles, for goodness sake. Everyone else is trying to infect you!

Good call.

The USA has 10 times Canada's population and 43 times Canada's Covid-19 cases.

It would be like the USA's southern neighbour having a population of 3.2 billion and 350,451,043 Covid-19 cases...would you want them coming north into the USA?

Based on todays numbers from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last edited:
The problem is that Americans are not stoping the spread of the virus through our actions.

I go to the grocerey store and I see few people sanitizing the grocery cart handles. I see very few taking precautions when touching common areas in public places. I see very few attempting to reduce airborn transmission by wearing a mask.

Because of our actions, and our actions alone our cases are surging at least in my state of Alaska. This is not a government failure, it is our individual and collective failure. We are failing to do the right thing. I have no clue why.

I have been exposed to hazards in the workplace my entire career. This is no different. Take the proper precautions and you mitigate the risk, but we, yes us Americans Choose not to do that.

Sadly, +1 as well.

The couple of times I've met Canadians in the US, they said they or their relatives were seeking medical care in the USA.

The couple of times I've met Canadians in the US, they said they or their relatives were seeking medical care in the USA.

Moot point...classic deflection from main point being discussed :socool:

I go to the grocery store and I see few people sanitizing the grocery cart handles. I see very few taking precautions when touching common areas in public places. I see very few attempting to reduce airborn transmission by wearing a mask.

Good call.

Here, on our rural island, we have no known cases of Covid-19. We want to keep it that way. Our lifestyle has been altered in many ways, but mainly it amounts to continued awareness of the ways in which that virus can be acquired. When shopping, for example, we ALL pay attention to the safety of ourselves and others. We wear masks, we sanitize our hands when entering a store, if possible, we maintain 2m distance where possible. Our grocery store sanitizes all grocery carts and other obvious places between uses, we use touch payment rather than handling credit card readers, we pack our own re-usable grocery bags.

We know that in the US, those measures are scoffed at. Even official scoffing ought not deter the average US citizen from behaving safely, but sadly, the message is not being received by far too many of your citizens, with the horrible result that Murray has noted.

Those are Scientific data that cannot be influence by political leadership, so it remains up to each of residents of the US to heed the opportunity to help or to hinder your recovery from this virus.

Until that message of safety is heeded, our borders will remain closed, except for necessary visits to keep up commerce.

The extension of the closure is made within the last week of the previously announced end date, on a monthly basis. The extension to Oct 21 was made on Sept 15, so you should expect a new extension to Nov 21 to be announced imminently.

koliver wrote;

“ALL pay attention to the safety of ourselves and others. We wear masks, we sanitize our hands when entering a store, if possible, we maintain 2m distance where possible. Our grocery store sanitizes all grocery carts and other obvious places between uses, we use touch payment rather than handling credit card readers, we pack our own re-usable grocery bags.“..........YES!

Would very much like to see that in the US.

Well said Ksanders and Koliver!

San Juan County offers an interesting case study. There have been very few cases (33) in the islands, no deaths, no documented or known community spread, and lots of tourism throughout the summer. From what I've seen, masking and social distancing are taken very seriously. Although numbers have been good so far, people aren't letting their guard down.

As I understand it, all the known cases in San Juan County have come from residents staying with family/friends when traveling or having family/friends stay with them while visiting the islands.

Although tourism started off slow this year and accommodations were limited to 50% capacity throughout the summer, many business owners I've spoken with said they've been busier than ever.

My brother lives in Jackson Hole, WY, where precautions are viewed much more skeptically. Unsurprisingly, cases are skyrocketing...226 cases per 100,000 people in the last week, worse than almost any county in Washington State.

I'm hopeful (but not optimistic) that Americans can put politics aside and take the simple steps needed to help reduce the spread and take care of one another. It would be really nice if we could get this under control and travel to Canada again (and stop burying 1,000 people a day).

koliver wrote;

“ALL pay attention to the safety of ourselves and others. We wear masks, we sanitize our hands when entering a store, if possible, we maintain 2m distance where possible. Our grocery store sanitizes all grocery carts and other obvious places between uses, we use touch payment rather than handling credit card readers, we pack our own re-usable grocery bags.“..........YES!

Would very much like to see that in the US.
This is the exact same thing I see in the few places I have been in Canada since March. Richmond, Victoria, Nanaimo, Calgary, and Edmonton. It appears to be the standard in Western Canada.

We also have people at the front doors allowing only a certain capacity in the store as well. Recommended or mandatory supplied hand sanitizer. Recommended or mandatory masking. Sometimes provided gloves. All carts, baskets and grocery conveyors are wiped down in between purchases. Employees directing people to lines at the till. Plexiglass in between all cashier's and patrons. Usually no cash, only tap or bagged and sanitized card reader. Special hours for Seniors and health compromised. 2m (6 ft.) markers and one way flow paths in every store.

It is in the best interests of stores to provide a healthy environment for shoppers.

Is this not the norm in the States?

If not, no wonder you are F'd.

Last edited:
This is the exact same thing I see in the few places I have been in Canada since March. Richmond, Victoria, Nanaimo, Calgary, and Edmonton. It appears to be the standard in Western Canada.

We also have people at the front doors allowing only a certain capacity in the store as well. Recommended or mandatory supplied hand sanitizer. Recommended or mandatory masking. Sometimes provided gloves. All carts, baskets and grocery conveyors are wiped down in between purchases. Employees directing people to lines at the till. Plexiglass in between all cashier's and patrons. Usually no cash, only tap or bagged and sanitized card reader. Special hours for Seniors and health compromised. 2m (6 ft.) markers and one way flow paths in every store.

It is in the best interests of stores to provide a healthy environment for shoppers.

Is this not the norm in the States?

If not, no wonder you are F'd.

Depends on where you are. What you describe is pretty much what we've experienced in the San Juan Islands. Elsewhere in Western Washington all the big stores have signs, markings on the ground, hand sanitizer, masks, etc., but some communities are more compliant than others and some stores are stricter than others. Generally it's pretty good. North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes is the only business I've been in that completely blew off precautions. Not a mask to be seen on any employees working in the office/parts department.

A truer comparison would be California vs Canada about the same population. I have no idea how the covid19 between the two would compare. I’m not into judging covid19 mine vs yours.

We shop at Publix grocery store. Cart are sanitized. Everyone wears a mask.
We dont go to parties nor go see our friends or relatives.
Could we do better, for sure but, what we do is more than reasonable.
We go to doctors and dentists and grocery shopping and the occasional boat parts store.

That's about the extent of our social life.

A truer comparison would be California vs Canada about the same population. I have no idea how the covid19 between the two would compare. I’m not into judging covid19 mine vs yours.
Not really.

Canada is a heterogeneous population; as is the United States.

Comparing BC to Washington, Alberta to Montana, and Toronto to NYC may be valid. But Canada has nearly the same cultural variation as any geographically large nation does.

I don’t see how Canada will be willing to open the border for many years. The virus infection rate in The United States shows no signs off lessening and many have said they will not take the vaccine when available. A timeline might be if and when the virus dies naturally. Nations may have to stay closed for years, a brave no world.

I don’t see how Canada will be willing to open the border for many years. The virus infection rate in The United States shows no signs off lessening and many have said they will not take the vaccine when available. A timeline might be if and when the virus dies naturally. Nations may have to stay closed for years, a brave no world.

"Happy Talk" by some politician aside, it's going to be quite some time before we have a widespread use of a vaccine. So, not planning on any trips to Canada next year. Do miss spending time with our Canadian friends. Really hope I'm wrong about this.

Gotta ask, are Canadian citizen forbidden from entering the US?

Border opening aside, the current STAT numbers for Canada are horrible. The two week average change in deaths for all of Canada is +258.7% as of today's date. No other developed country or US State is currently even close to this %. What is going on up North? :eek:

Ken Sanders is in a very good place, Alaska. STAT numbers for AK for average two week change in deaths -85.7%. :thumb:

BTW, we are seeing very good protocols and cart cleaning where we are.

Oh oh, I bet I'm in big trouble for tossing this up. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom