Nordic Tug Storage for E-Bikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pdxstriper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hot Tuna
Vessel Make
2002 American Tug 23 #24
Hi,
I've got my heart set on a Nordic Tug 42. I've also got my heart set on some E-Bikes to cruise the islands on. The bike I like is the Rad Mini 4, which folds down to 41" x 22" x 28". Can someone with a NT42 tell me is these would fit inside either the cockpit or salon storage belowdecks? I'd like to get 2 E-Bikes and imagine the challenge would be to get them thru the hatches.

thanks
Pete

Pete

They would fit in the cockpit for sure but would take up a lot of space. On my older tug they could go in the salon as I have a door and a half so to speak to the cockpit, but also take up a lot of space. However, they won't fit through the transom gate. Look for a tug with a davit that can lift items from the dock to the cockpit. That way you can use the davit to get the bikes to the cockpit or upper deck. I used our davit to remove and replace a generator in the lazarette.

Tom

Pete,
First off, I don't own a NT42 :).
However, the best option (in my opinion) would be to find a Tug that uses an electric davit arm for lifting the dinghy up to the top deck. Then the bikes could be lifted up there easily and secured into place, possibly with a cover to protect them from the elements. Another option, even if not storing the dinghy up top, would be a boat like mine, (except a 42) that has a mast with manual winches. My mast would easily lift a couple of bikes.

I cannot envision wrestling them into a cockpit laz, or keeping them in the cockpit. They would definitely be in the way of using the cockpit for what it was actually intended.

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

I use the davit to store it up top if I want room on the swimstep or cockpit. I made a little rope harness with a clip at each end and a ring at the balancing point for the davit clip. One end wraps around the seat pole and the other around the handle bar. It balances quite nice.

I don't know if the configuration of the AT will work out the same but it's just a thought.

Good luck!

Pete,
First off, I don't own a NT42 :).
However, the best option (in my opinion) would be to find a Tug that uses an electric davit arm for lifting the dinghy up to the top deck. Then the bikes could be lifted up there easily and secured into place, possibly with a cover to protect them from the elements. Another option, even if not storing the dinghy up top, would be a boat like mine, (except a 42) that has a mast with manual winches. My mast would easily lift a couple of bikes.

I cannot envision wrestling them into a cockpit laz, or keeping them in the cockpit. They would definitely be in the way of using the cockpit for what it was actually intended.

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I was thinking about mounting them up top and having rack and aa canvas cover made. Note that these new generation ebikes weight 60 lbs so wrestling thru a transom hatch is not impossible. But I agree, a less desirable way to go.
Pete

Remember you don’t have to fold them into a cube. It might be easier to stow them long and skinny.

I have a Rad Runner and I think it is a very good value. Draw back is my local bike shop doesn’t want to work on it because they are sold direct. There are good support videos and help from Rad so you can probably fix anything that breaks yourself.

The Runner will seat two for a total up to 300 pounds. Would one Runner work instead of two Mini’s?

Pete, we met earlier this summer at the St Helens marina. I don’t think one would fit in our lazarette. If we put them in the engine room it would make engine checks almost impossible and I think hard to get them in/out through the hatch. As others have said, in a bag on the upper deck would be where I would store them on our boat. The dinghy would have to be off the deck in our case to use the davit crane to lower them to the dock. We tested some RAD bikes earlier this year in Ballard, they are trick. I asked if they had a “Binford” edition that would pull the hills better. They don’t...

Pete, we met earlier this summer at the St Helens marina. I don’t think one would fit in our lazarette. If we put them in the engine room it would make engine checks almost impossible and I think hard to get them in/out through the hatch. As others have said, in a bag on the upper deck would be where I would store them on our boat. The dinghy would have to be off the deck in our case to use the davit crane to lower them to the dock. We tested some RAD bikes earlier this year in Ballard, they are trick. I asked if they had a “Binford” edition that would pull the hills better. They don’t...

Hi,
Yes I recall meeting. Sounds like the votes are in and the lazarette is not in the cards. Damn. Just curious when you are next at your boat perhaps you can take measurements of that lazarette hatch for me.

I have a friend that bought a couple of the RAD bikes and they are really fun. The range is good for my use, which is just cruising random islands rather than any long distance runs.

I don't care for the look of full sized bikes with obligatory covers standing up on the roof deck. So if I'm destined to use the roof, a couple of folding bikes like the RAD Mini 4 would fit nicely with a canvas cover over them.

Now to find the boat...
Pete

I have a 42 Nordic Tug... I wouldn’t want to be wrestling 60# bikes in an out of the lazarette! I also vote for putting them up top with the help of a crane or mast with winch. Yes, covered in a water proof or resistant cover. The last time I was out (Labor Day), it blew like crazy, 25-35 knots. I had salt spray on all of the upper deck railings, including the handrails above the ladder....

Hmmm! The PO of our boat had some nearly new folding bikes and on a whim, we bought them when we bought the boat. They were a PITA and we never used them. There just weren’t many opportunities where they could be used. In the end, we eventually sold them.

We stored them in the forward shower. They were always in the way and disposal was a no brainer in the end. Hopefully not pouring too much water on your parade.

I have a Transpacific Eagle 40 and just bought 2 Rad Mini's. I'm thinking I can just fold the handlebars down and fold the pedals up and keep them covered in the cockpit. They will be longer, but skinny. My boat is currently out of the water and covered, so I will have to wait until next year to see how much room they take up. I don't have any kind of boom, but am thinking I may try to retrofit one to lift the bikes up to the flybridge and down into the dink.

Hmmm! The PO of our boat had some nearly new folding bikes and on a whim, we bought them when we bought the boat. They were a PITA and we never used them. There just weren’t many opportunities where they could be used. In the end, we eventually sold them.

We stored them in the forward shower. They were always in the way and disposal was a no brainer in the end. Hopefully not pouring too much water on your parade.

haha thanks for the honest input. I have a history of buying cool stuff that, well, 'collects dust' (or salt spray in this case). Have you perhaps been talking to my wife? ;)

Actually I hauled a Yamaha Zuma 49cc scooter on my 53 Navigator for 10+ years all around the PNW/Canadian Islands. I'd drop it with my davit (~300 lbs) and cruise around for 1/2 a day, see the sights one never sees from a boat. I'd run with my wife or go out when she napped. Of course, as one goes further north there are no roads to speak of so there's that. I'd use it like 3-4 times in the month I'd spend up north.

Anyway, we'll see. Gotta find that boat once prices start to normalize again.

Pete

We keep a Chinese 125cc scooter up on our boat deck by the RIB. The 125 was $200 more than the 49cc and is far more capable for two-up travel. We use it a lot. What with Covid19 it is great not having to get into some random Uber or Lyft for a trip to the market or West Marine. Before the virus hit I got a terrible case of bronchitis from a coughing Lyft driver in Ft Lauderdale and swore never again.....

I have had several e-bikes and I would not want to keep them on a boat: too much corrosion for an all electrical device. The scooter is better weather protected and is much more useful. If I could keep an e-bike inside I might be tempted.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that cheap scooters have weight limits. If you're 120# or under you're fine. But if you're 150# you can expect a loss of about 20% speed/range. If you're over that, well, it's not even going to get you up a slight incline. I say this from experience. Our 12 year old has a blast on a cheap Xiaomi 365 scooter. I'm 250# and it won't even get me up a hill, not even slowly... it just.. stops.

To handle added weight you need a more powerful motor (or two, front and rear wheel powered). I picked up a Mantis and it's great, but at $1200 it wasn't cheap. That and it's a fair bit larger than the cheap ones, and heavier.

The upside is they each fit into a reasonably easy to store duffel-type bag, and we've got room in the engine compartment for them when we bring them (which wasn't often this season).

But the same could not be said for bicycles, even the folding ones would be a chore to store. If we lived aboard... maybe, and the Rad certainly have their following. But they're HEAVY compared to others. I could not see humping three of those down into the engine compartment every time. That and the salt air is rough on bikes, I'm just not inclined to spend e-bike prices to have it get ruined.

At home I've got a Specialized Levo mountain e-bike. It's a fantastic setup, and with my bad knees it's the only way I can get on a bike anymore. But it's HUGE, with 29" mountain bike knobbies. No way I'd get that on the boat.

I keep my folding bike in a bike bag, weatherproof, works great, easy to move about the boat without scratching/banging stuff up. Would likely work for E-bike as well. It could be hoisted topside on the bag straps or a choker around the whole thing.

One summer and your bikes will be rusty or otherwise corroded. You won't use them...

I keep my folding bike in a bike bag, weatherproof, works great, easy to move about the boat without scratching/banging stuff up. Would likely work for E-bike as well. It could be hoisted topside on the bag straps or a choker around the whole thing.

Check the specs on e-bikes, the battery and motor add a fair bit of weight.

A regular non-ebike Dahon weighs in at 27#.

I've got a high-end lightweight aluminum mountain bike that weighed in at 26#. The Levo Comp has the same grade of high-end components and frame, but weighs 44# due to the motor and battery.

The Rad Mini 4 folding one weighs in at SIXTY-SEVEN pounds.

TAASTAAFL, so the usual 'rule of 3' applies. Good, fast, cheap... pick two.

Now look at the back-order wait times... e-bikes were HUGELY popular this year, and delivery times of a month or more are not uncommon, across many brands.

We tried some RAD-equivalent bikes on our last boat. 60+lbs is VERY heavy when in a "package" like a folded bike. They lasted all of about 2 weeks - the CL buyer got a great deal on them......:mad::mad::mad:.

We now have two folding electric/single-speed pedal bikes. They are these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNV2Q8H

They were $499. when we bought them. There are other versions of the same bike now with improvements including a removable battery, etc. They were the best tradeoff for battery/weight vs. range in electrics we found. About 37lbs with battery. We have been VERY happy with them. No regrets on price or quality.

The pair of them live in our oversized bosun's locker in the corner (see photo). I ran the charging cables down there from the salon (white wires in photo) on a timer, so we can just push a button and get a 6hr charge while they are still down in the locker.

We get about 15mi range from the batteries in electric-only at high speed (~15-18mph). If you pedal some, or slow down, the range is greatly extended.

I did upgrade the seat, handlebars, and front gear ratio with cheapo Amazon stuff to make them just a bit more comfortable and easier to pedal when in pedal-only mode. Also added a small cargo rack to the back of each.

We now also have a WAAAY overpriced (but worth it) Burley Travoy trailer we use with them - works wonderfully.

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom