New guy, hello! Also need to find a boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dadkins131

Bought my first boat this year (Monterey 322) and already on the market as we learned a lot more about our boating style. Our next boat will hopefully fit our needs as a spacious and cozy vessel that acts our “shore house”, a pleasurable, smooth and relatively quiet ride so that we can enjoy the time on the boat instead of shouting at each other over the engines. I’d like to take a long trip every year or every other with the family (NJ to Cape Cod, etc).

As I started learning more about what’s out there, I’ve become very drawn aesthetically to the trawler style, but have also realized that I need 12-15knots cruising for our frequent day / weekend trips in the summer. This research has led me here and I’ll be posting a bit to learn more about some boat options. Currently I’m very attracted to the mainship 400 for many reasons above, although the price is probably too much for me right now. I also really love the albin Sundeck, another perfect boat in my eyes, assuming I can find one with twin diesels that would afford us a 12kn cruise.

Looking forward to learning from all you salty dogs!

dadkins131,

Suspect your still working, or have other obligations, and time on the water is limited, thus the need for speed.

I could argue for and against the Mainship 400 for that need. You'd need the twins for sure, but it's overall not a fast boat, nor is it designed that way. However, if it just an occasional "return at high speed" for a few hours, not a big deal. It's a GREAT intercoastal quiet cruiser, economical and easy to operate.

There could be some smaller, faster choices, but include the fly bridge. That's where you get your quiet cruising. Heck, on my 400 I can hardly hear my engine run from the bridge. Hopefully we'll get you some comments on the Albin and smaller Mainships.

And there's a lot of other boats out there. Some good choices in a motor yacht or cruiser, but very few have a lower helm. (I could argue that's a must).

Thanks for the welcome and first overall reply. The 400 cruises 15kt? If so, I timed our frequent “local” trips and the time / fuel economy (based on info I found online) is acceptable. I’m afraid anything under 40’ won’t meet the space, openness and “private” space we’ve been looking for. I am in prime working years, as is my wife, although we both should be working from home quite a bit so more space equals more time on the water. I know there are a lot of 8 knots out there, but that is pretty restrictive for the occasional fishing run or shoal swimming run. 12-15 knots seems cruise seems like the perfect middle ground for us middle aged cruisers with two little ones.

Welcome aboard. Our 41’ President with twin SP 225s will cruise at 12 knots but we generally run at about 8.5 to 9 knots. Not sure if the Mainship 400 will cruise at 12 for long times, it may be a bit noisy, but am not sure since I have never been underway on one. There are quite a few that will do 12 but over that you will likely be into planning cruisers not “trawlers” in general. We really like our boat but I really need a 55’ or so. But our yard can’t haul anything more than our current boat so I guess I am stuck...

The term "Trawler" has really become diluted over the past few years. There are trawlers which will go as fast as you can afford. There are also trawlers which will give you ALL the fuel economy you ever dreamed of.

There are trawlers which are whisper quiet, there are trawlers with big twin diesels which will deafen you.

There are trawlers with so much storage you will think you are in your dirt home. There are some streamlined trawlers which are little more than cuddy, day boats.

Rather than re hash all the many, many discussions regarding choices lets leave it at this..
Almost everyone will agree, "Buying a boat is a compromise"

Truer words were never spoken.

pete

Welcome to TF! What's your budget? Will NJ be your base?

Greg.

Budget loose right now. Anywhere from $60-150k, I’d want a 2000s for the high end of the budget, would prefer to find my happy boat sub 100k. NJ is my home base, I’d travel to bring a boat home.

While my single engine Mainship showed 15 knots at the survey, there's no way you could cruise that speed. More like 7 knots. It never gets close to a plane so anything faster is just pushing water, but 10 isn't bad/

The twin engine Mainships, both the 400, 390 and 350 will all do a 15 knot cruise and could be a good choice. Only down side is the engine install is tight and hard to get to the outside of the engines. But overall, great boats. Easy to buy, sell, operate, insure and maintain. Pretty straight forward.

Your $150 budget "might" get you a lower end 400, but several choice in the 390. There are a bunch of differences, sheet attached.

However, both excellent boats and the most popular boat on the Loop.

Attachments

• Difference 390:400.pdf
    165.7 KB · Views: 16
I wasn’t initially considering the 390, the 400 clearly improves on it.... but on second look it’s probably going to be a top contender.

Welcome and good luck with the boat search

Welcome aboard. Our 41’ President with twin SP 225s will cruise at 12 knots but we generally run at about 8.5 to 9 knots. Not sure if the Mainship 400 will cruise at 12 for long times, it may be a bit noisy, but am not sure since I have never been underway on one. There are quite a few that will do 12 but over that you will likely be into planning cruisers not “trawlers” in general. We really like our boat but I really need a 55’ or so. But our yard can’t haul anything more than our current boat so I guess I am stuck...

Saw a 42 president that really caught my eye, generally perfect layout, I think the twin diesels could cruise at 12.

Back
Top Bottom