Looking to improve internet connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
Quick question..
what is my best option regarding keeping connected?

Standard Wi- Fi Extender or something a little more beefy such as Digital Yacht 4G Connect Pro?
Thank you for your feedback
APagano

I’d just get a cell phone signal booster. I’ve found that a WiFi extender is good if you’re in a marina but if your traveling, our cell phone is our data connect by using it as a hot spot. The Digital Yacht system looks pretty slick but you need another SIM card and data plan from either AT&T or T-Mobile according to their literature..

If using cellphone as your connection, look at your carrier's maps for towers on their website, Some coastal areas have lousy coverage. Work from fly bridge.That's a tough one.
If you're docked, a directional wifi antenna can help tremendously. Or work from fly bridge. If you're Cruising past looking for wifi, another tough one. If there are no transmitters in the area, not much can be done.

The biggest problem I have found with connectivity on a boat is acces points have terrible bandwidth.

Even my cel phone in many "right on the coast" places has slow internet.

So amplification is still at the mercy of whatever access point you are connecting to.

An external antenna will help occasionally as you are distant from an access point, but then ....how much bandwidth is really there? Most marinas stink and coastal towns seem to be stretched thin.

None of the above is very techie as I am not..but just what I have found with different kinds of equipment while cruising the ACIW.

Steve Mitchel at https://seabits.com/ uses his boat as a testing platform. There is a lot of information there regarding connectivity. Also, Panbo's site is full of information.

The best source of information on mobile internet is here:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

They actually test equipment, side by side, and their explanatory articles are first-rate. They have comparisons of cell phone plans and everything you need to know for your RV or boat. Some of the content requires a subscription, but it is worthwhile and they should be supported.

I’d just get a cell phone signal booster. I’ve found that a WiFi extender is good if you’re in a marina but if your traveling, our cell phone is our data connect by using it as a hot spot. The Digital Yacht system looks pretty slick but you need another SIM card and data plan from either AT&T or T-Mobile according to their literature..

You might find this thread a worthwhile read, if you haven't already seen it:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s30/reliable-wifi-boat-51771.html

We also use our phone as a hotspot. We also use a cell phone booster. We have a Wilson booster. As long as I have a cell signal, I can get to the internet.

The biggest problem I have found with connectivity on a boat is acces points have terrible bandwidth.

Even my cel phone in many "right on the coast" places has slow internet.

So amplification is still at the mercy of whatever access point you are connecting to.

An external antenna will help occasionally as you are distant from an access point, but then ....how much bandwidth is really there? Most marinas stink and coastal towns seem to be stretched thin.

None of the above is very techie as I am not..but just what I have found with different kinds of equipment while cruising the ACIW.

I agree with you. Bandwidth and quality is the issue. I don't know about the camper research as boats are in a completely different reception situation. Satellite based internet is the next step, but that's $2k for the gear alone. BGAN broadband global area network.

Back
Top Bottom