U.S. and Canada and Mexico Extends Restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be a while before Canada opens its border...the USA has 10 times Canada’s population and 48.8 times Canada’s confirmed Covid-19 cases.

Last edited:
I am still hopeful. But I don't understand the hatred of Americans.

Where are you getting hatred? I bet many (or even most) Canadians would love it if we could go there -- and they could come here. In regular times they certainly seem to welcome us. I'm no-one special, not a big spender, and every time I've gone to Canada they have been nothing but gracious and friendly. I have seen no hate. Only now, and only due to COVID, have there been restrictions (which, BTW, go both ways); and they are not "because" we are US citizens.

If Mexicans had a *much* higher incidence than we US citizens of some nasty disease that was communicated through the air (and we had successfully kept our numbers low by comparison), would you be welcoming them in? I'd guess (hope) not.

If you weren't welcoming them in *only during this time* but you normally welcomed them with open arms, would that mean you hated them? I don't see how that conclusion would be arrived at in any logical way.

Last edited:
My badly miss our summer camping trip up to the Canadian maritimes. We've done quite a bit of travel over the last 5 decades to Canada by boat, car and plane, be it in BC, Ontario, Quebec or the Atlantic Provinces, and have always found the people to be outgoing and welcoming (even in Quebec!).

Let's admit it folks we as a country have been, and continue to be, extremely irresponsible in handling this pandemic. Double crossing on our trade agreements doesn't help things any either. Most of the areas in Canada we like to frequent rely a lot on US tourist dollars, so banning our entrance is a big sacrifice on their part.

Most all of this applies to Mexico and for that matter Europe, as well. Sorry folks but we are no longer that "Shining City On A Hill"the rest of the world admired and respected.

Going to be a while before Canada opens its border...the USA has 10 times Canada’s population and 48.8 times Canada’s confirmed Covid-19 cases.

The results of a Canadian poll that I heard yesterday were that 90% of Canadians want the border to remain closed indefinitely.

The results of a Canadian poll that I heard yesterday were that 90% of Canadians want the border to remain closed indefinitely.

Yup...until the pandemic has run its course.

I know it's hard for some people from the USA to wrap their heads around my post #2 above, so try this thought experiment:

If the country to your south had 10 times your population (3.2 billion people) and 48.8 times your Covid-19 cases (338,297,606 cases) wouldn't you want to restrict border crossings?

Last edited:
Why would anyone be upset because Canada has closed the border? Yes you might want to cross and travel there, but the virus is out of control in the US and it is under control in Canada. Why would anyone expect that they should open the border? They have done their work in controlling the virus and we have not done the work required to control it. The closed border is our fault not Canadas.

Let’s be honest...trade restrictions and Pandemic aside, most Canadians can not abide the words and actions of this president. It’s simple retaliation by the “underdog”. Can we blame them...?

The point of the border closure is NOT retaliation. It is protection.

If your are now talking only about tariffs, the recent Canada US Mexico agreement was breached by the US imposition in August of new tariffs on Aluminum, which was met by a promise of an equal new tariff by Canada on US products. That would have been retaliation. Fortunately, your Gov rescinded the August tariffs, so ours was not imposed. This has nothing whatever to do with the border closure.

I don't know of any measures presently being used by Canada in "retaliation".

Unfortunately, travel restrictions are a key part of controlling a pandemic, as this article explains.

I wonder how Canada will treat the tax consequences of this? A US boat left in Canada for more than 12 months is subject to tax. However they will not allow you to remove your boat as the border is shut. Will they then want to tax it? I hope not, but this might be one of the more painful symptoms of Covid.

I think the restrictions will extend to November 21st.

Canada would then receive the lowest surge of Americans piling over the border spreading Corona virus in their wake. It would likely be a testing the waters move. If it goes well perhaps the border will (from Nov21) move on in time to see what damage or not will align with the timing of the opening of the border. The least likely damage w the advantage of a significant period of time (till spring) to see what happens.
If the results show little if any threat from opening the border we’re good to go. If not we could be in a long period of isolation. Not good for anybody.

Maybe Canadians are waiting for the time frame of the 2nd wave of covid to pass before deciding. You the well hyped 2nd coming that should be/or is occurring right about now.

Indeed I overlooked the 2nd wave.
And it probably would be hard to tell how much of a bump would be from American influx and how many were from a Canadian second wave or bump?

Indeed I overlooked the 2nd wave.
And it probably would be hard to tell how much of a bump would be from American influx and how many were from a Canadian second wave or bump?
Here`s to when "a wave" was(among other things) a friendly greeting.

I understand why the border is closed. Hope it opens soon.

I recently bought a boat located in Canada (Ontario) and the border closing has greatly complicated the process of purchase and getting the boat to the US, but I still support the Canadians in their efforts to manage the pandemic. I have had a huge amount of help from multiple Canadians I have never met personally it getting the boat ready, finding parts, making repairs, and even the survey/sea trial process. I have to have commercial captains deliver it through US customs due to the border closing. The Canadians I have worked with have been wonderful and certainly aren't angry at "all US citizens". I can't wait until the border opens so I can go back up there to thank them personally, but until that happens I will be both understanding of their desire to keep themselves safe and and thankful for how friendly and helpful they have been.

I recently bought a boat located in Canada (Ontario) and the border closing has greatly complicated the process of purchase and getting the boat to the US, but I still support the Canadians in their efforts to manage the pandemic. I have had a huge amount of help from multiple Canadians I have never met personally it getting the boat ready, finding parts, making repairs, and even the survey/sea trial process. I have to have commercial captains deliver it through US customs due to the border closing. The Canadians I have worked with have been wonderful and certainly aren't angry at "all US citizens". I can't wait until the border opens so I can go back up there to thank them personally, but until that happens I will be both understanding of their desire to keep themselves safe and and thankful for how friendly and helpful they have been.

I've been delivering boats cross border. All thats required is a "Commercial Transaction Numbe" from CBP or CBSA. A Masters Certificate from Transport Canada or a USCG Captains Lic. is all thats required. There is some paperwork involved but once you have the contacts and understand the system it's quite easy. I'm not 100% sure but I've been told that a six pack will not qualify. Almost all the Captains of dinner cruise or tour boats will have an acceptable license. Look for one of those guys sittin' at home watching TV.

Unfortunately I can't cross on my own boat because it would not be considered a commercial transaction

Could you arrange a quick drive by survey at every proposed stop in the US and call it an essential business trip?
:D

This is my response to a similar thread ....

I've been delivering boats cross border. All thats required is a "Commercial Transaction Numbe" from CBP or CBSA. A Masters Certificate from Transport Canada or a USCG Captains Lic. is all thats required. There is some paperwork involved but once you have the contacts and understand the system it's quite easy. I'm not 100% sure but I've been told that a six pack will not qualify. Almost all the Captains of dinner cruise or tour boats will have an acceptable license. Look for one of those guys sittin' at home watching TV.

Unfortunately I can't cross on my own boat because it would not be considered a commercial transaction

Canadian border info

Interesting thread, allow me to relate some personal experiences.
My GF lives in Vancouver. She also owns vacation property in the Gulf Islands, where we cruise every summer. The border is closed to Canadians and US citizens in both directions. Except, she can fly down. When she returns to Canada she has to file a two week self quarantine plan. If you file your plan to stay at home, they have been known to call you and ask you to step to the door! In fact we did that in July, and cruised the San Juan‘s for about four weeks. She went back and did her self quarantine.
The Canadians would love to have us, but not the Covid. We have so totally miss handled the pandemic in the states, it’s very sad. They simply do not want to get sick and die.
The citizens can’t cross the border if they are declared essential workers. Truck drivers are an example, and someone living in Canada who works as a healthcare worker in the US can go back-and-forth. I had my orthopedic surgeon prepare a letter declaring her as an essential worker as a caregiver for my second knee operation three weeks ago. We used to meet at the peace arch park in Blaine for lunch together until they closed the park for “over activity”. Together, we literally walked up to the US customs people and asked if she could get a pre-clearance they said no. Bring the letter and your information to the booth on the day you want to cross, it is up to the individual in the booth. She wanted to drive across to use her car down here. She drove to the booth, and started the conversation by telling him I know I can fly down, but… He referred her inside to secondary inspection. She stayed in her car for an hour as they went back-and-forth asking questions, they cleared her to go, and they literally called the hospital to verify my operation.
That said, we have a Canadian friend in Vancouver who keeps his boat at Port Roberts USA. He could not cross to point Roberts to bring his boat back into Vancouver. He talked to a broker, who knew a captain who, and I’m not sure. Either had dual citizenship or was cleared as an essential worker. That captain was able to leave Port Roberts and bring the boat into Vancouver BC.

I cannot confirm, but I would imagine if you had a captain who is declared an essential worker he could bring a US boat in Canada back to the US.

A sidenote, we have American friends who own property in the Gulf Islands. Many letters have been written asking if we could get a Covid test, bring it to the border, and quarantine for the 14 days if need be. Those cabins need to be winterized, and maintained. We shall see, in the meantime, wear your mask, social distance and avoid crowds!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been closed and many posts removed after an outbreak of political trolling and general ungentle discord. We are a boating forum and while border closures are a concern for many, the political rancor on this thread runs afoul of the forum rules and is not boating related - taking potshots at other forum members for sport is not acceptable and as always political debate is also off limits; regardless of which side of the isle you sit on.

You can read the rules here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom