Where's my coolant going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
2715E Lehman started overheating, check coolant level, down 3.5 gallons! Refilled and ran engine, no visible leaks, no coolant in bilge... Ran for 20 minutes and it dropped a half gallon... Ideas??

Any signs of coolant in the exhaust? If so, it's probably a heat exchanger leak. If not, check for signs of coolant in the oil or any excess steam while running.

Loss of coolant can be the main heat exchanger, the lube oil cooler if coolant cooled and a bad head gasket/cracked block. The later will show up in the oil level rising and turning milky. You can probably smell antifreeze in the exhaust if the exhangers are leaking.

David

Be very careful with this problem. It maybe a simple leakage issue but then again it could be internal and cost you your engine. If there is coolant in your oil then the oil will normally look greenish, and as said before, high on the stick. Do not run the engine further. Find a good mechanic and get it fixed right now.

Good luck

Loss of coolant can be the main heat exchanger, the lube oil cooler if coolant cooled and a bad head gasket/cracked block. The later will show up in the oil level rising and turning milky. You can probably smell antifreeze in the exhaust if the exhangers are leaking.

David

Agree, these are the most likely culprits. Hold a rag over the exhaust for a minute. I would put this repair in the emergency category.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom