View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbler View Post
It doesn’t surprise me that those ‘ Best Price ‘ marine underwriters would pull back on certain P&I coverages like the LHWCA. These used to fall under the heading of special endorsements for commercial fishing and yachts that penetrated a certain market value. If you dig into the case histories and coverage/claim details it will make your head spin, at least mine.

The Act as written was I believe targeted for losses and injuries not covered by the Jones Act but it seems like it has morphed and expanded in synch with the legal industry’s penchant for creative interpretation. So given the fact that defending a claim means Admiralty or Federal Court ($$$) I’m not least surprised it’s was withdrawn. These lightweight companies rarely if ever have this kind of legal expertise in house. So, sorry for the pun, this kind of coverage is out of their wheelhouse. If this is the case then of course they won’t write it no matter what you pay. If not already you’re going to see pollution endorsements dwindle or dropped like black mold in flood zones.

Ask around and find a full house marine underwriter with a menu and policy that fits you. You’ll pay a bit more but like they say you don’t know anything about your agent or the company until you file a claim. You should be able to set down with your agent and get real answers to any of your questions. If there is a loss the agent should be right alongside as your advocate with the company. He is working for you not the company. The agent gets paid out of your premium.
You just called Geico a lightweight company unlikely to have the legal expertise?

While I agree with your endorsement of major marine underwriters and of independent brokers, this policy is definitely not coming from a lightweight or someone who doesn't write huge amounts of marine coverage.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote