Island Gypsy 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IG 36 quad cabin restoration #47

Scott: My vessel is an IG 36 quad cabin bullt in 1981, hull #47. In 2009-11 we completely restored her from stem to stern. I'm a new member to this forum but can tell you that when we redid her teak decks, we found they were laid on fiberglass and had no rot. What we did find was that the plank caulking was old and needed to be replaced. We did this by making a jig exactly the size of the caulding strip and then routed out all the old caulking. It was quite a job but worked well. We used a power saw and chisel to complete the removal and the jig speeded up the project. We also removed all the bungs, and then recaulked all the deck seams, put caulking in the screw holes and rebunged the whole boat. She is tight and there are no leaks.

RIMA is painted flag blue Awlgrip with cream topsides (Hinckley color) and powered by twin 2515E 6 cylinder 120 HP Lehmans. She has an Onan (Cummins) generator set, 4.5KW and new fuel and water tanks. We updated all the electronics, wiring, plumbing, canvas, A/C, interior etc. She looks and operates very well for our cruises since we live on the west coast of Florida, near Sarasota. If you did purchase the boat and will be working on her this summer in the Chesapeake area and I can help you deal with issues, drop me a line. I lived and boated on the Chesapeake for a number of years and am very familiar with the area and yards, shipwrights, parts, etc. Good luck with you vessel, they have excellent "bones" and I think are worth the effort to restore. Regards, Bob

I own this trawler since 2005 I bought her in Cannes France. I live near Florence and I cruise Mediterranean sea between Corse, Sardinia and Tuscany coast.In Italy this kind of boats are rare I did not find anyone to talk abaut. My boat named Nike is powered by two Ford Faryman 135hp I cruise at 1900rph and my speed is 7,6 knots at GPS,at 2600rph I reach the maximum speed of 10 knot.Becouse I heard similar boats reach 12 knot I'd know if someone of you own same boat same power has the same results. Perhaps I have propeller too light.Waiting for news,by evryone.
May I add our welcome to the Forum. We are in Sydney Australia where many IGs were sold; our IG36, hull no.39, has twin 120hp Ford Lehman engines. I believe she will do 12 knots,but have not tried it, though we have seen 23kph( our GPS is set metric) with swells passing under us from behind,an exciting ride!. Our props are 24 inch Michigans,17 inch pitch,according to the Owners Manual. Later IG36s sold here had 135hp Lehmans, a much later one, built around 1989, had 200hp Volvos,and trim tabs. Ours appears to have a hull modification at the stern extending in about 600mm from the transom,to deflect the stern up,and bow down, a sort of fixed trim tab I guess.
Our flybridge steering station is forward,I`ve not seen one set aft on a Halvorsen,including a 50ft. timber Kong and Halvorsen I`ve seen.
I am aware of Kong and Halvorsen IG36s in the US,but not in Europe. It would be interesting to know how it reached Cannes where you bought it. BruceK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom