steel boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawler nut

hi all. who makes good quality steel trawlers besides Bering? I like Bering but man are they pricey. another question I have is, does anyone know the make, model of the trawler at the top of T.F. home page? I love that boat.

Cape Horn used to make steel boats. Seahorse/Diesel Ducks still do. I'm sure there are others, but those two come quickly to mind.

Peter

another question I have is, does anyone know the make, model of the trawler at the top of T.F. home page? I love that boat.

I think I read somewhere that it is a Selene, do not remember the model.

In steel yachts, from my experience with both sail and motor vessels, the truth is:

"it ain't much if it ain't Dutch"

- but then you are in a different league all together, on design, quality and price.

another question I have is, does anyone know the make, model of the trawler at the top of T.F. home page? I love that boat.

I think I read somewhere that it is a Selene, do not remember the model.

Ted:

Salish Sky is a Selene 59 that could be that boat, purchased only a year or 2 ago by RVYC members living on Saltspring, so you may see her around. Friendly folks, so don't be shy about approaching them when you do see her. AIS shows her tied up in False Creek today.

Last edited:
I remember it being a Selene when it was chosen. Not sure about the length but 59 sounds right.

Attachments

• Klee Wyck.jpg
    Klee Wyck.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 34
Peter, that is the sister ship to my Klee Wyck. As far as I know two were built in the same yard, one after the other, with the one in the ad being two years prior to mine.
Obviously, having two of them, I am a fan of Dutch built steel boats.
25 years ago, a couple from Redwood City owned Sunshine Patriot. She used to anchor in Clipper Cove a few hundred yards from my berth in Treasure Island, San Francisco. Eventually I met the owners and was aboard a few times. What a wonderful boat!

I was aboard her again 2 years ago just after her refit in Ensenada. At the current asking price, she's a steal (pun intended). This was a very high quality yacht when she was built. I simply do not understand how she had not sold for so long, especially at under $200k. She's not perfect, but a damn fine boat. Someone will eventually swoop her.

Peter

Hello,
Back aboard in Canarias Islands after 3 months in Normandie , France, I was of course a little bit unhappy when I discovered some minor rusty spots on my blue hull...Calimas winds and sand from Sahara doesn't help. That means may be 4 to 5 days of gentle work with the magic tool box ( including pencils, resin, paint sand paper etc...) , as I saw in the peacefull dutch marinas where there are so many steel boats.
Not a big deal to be honest considering how comfortable a steel hull and superstructure can be considering silence, insulation etc...
Not considering what happens now in Portugal and NW coast of Spain where group of orcas have seriously damaged several fiberglass sailing yachts , chasing and distroying their rudders.:eek:

One of the nifty thing about the Euro steel boats is they are expected to use canal locks.

So they frequently have 3inch rope fitted as a replaceable rub rail.

A turnbuckle tensions the rope , so no screws or goop to loosen.

now that is a proper yacht!
Hollywood

I agree but the cockpit cover looks like an after thought. Love the galley vent hood, I guess the frig freezer is built in, didn’t see it, but Euro boats not big on refrigeration.
Vertical four cylinder Next Gen generator, interesting. Reliable Volvo engine with 9000 + hours with only top end maintenance. I’ve maintained two that never quit on me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom