Looking for fast trawler recomm: New 2018 Member & intro.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sieben

Vessel Name
Island Time
Vessel Make
1989 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Hi there,

I have been on this forum for 2 years. We are looking to switch from sail to power in the near future. Currently, have a 42' blue water cruising sailboat we have owned for many years. I've been lurking about for some time. Lot's of interesting people and reads. We have sailed up and down the CA coast and up into the Sea of Cortez. And back which is of course up hill for those who sail. I suppose the same for a power boat but with more options for hull speed. On Power vs Sail, or what size boat you have.... Were all on water! Hopefully, with the topsides up.

In a power boat were looking for:

1. 36-45' feet. Looking to stay 45' and under.

2. Twins or single with a bow thruster.

3. Capable of going up and down the CA coast, BC Alaska, Gulf Coast and MX. Also to do the Loop.

4. Aft cabin preferred of a 2 cabin boat.

5. Minimal teak exterior. Possibly a cap rail and an eyebrow is ok. (I have lots of teak and am an expert varnisher. Epiphanes is my choice for exterior.

6. Labrador friendly. Hoping to find a vessel which will allow my seaworthy girl to access most of the boat including upper bridge. So steep 6-7' ladders are out. She can climb up and down our 6 steps into and out of the sailboat. However, getting onto the sailboat with a 6' gunwale from the water and transferring her to from is a real challenge. She is 65 lbs.

7. At least one midship sliding door.

8. Upper flybridge and lower bridge.

9. Swim Platform and transom or side access.

10.Prefer dinghy stored on vessel with crane or hoist vs on the stern swim step. Aft davits would be ok.

11. Ability to run at displacement speeds or at 12kts minimum. (I've run 5-6kts sailing and have a lot of places I want to go to.

12. Need an aft cockpit area for my girls and I to hang out. My wife and our Lab.

13. Walk around, SS handrails. A teak cap rail is ok. No exterior teak is even better.

14. Year 1995 or newer. Price hoping to stay under $150K, depending on the boat could go $200K. I'll just put that out there and see what comes back. We could go older, however, we currently have a ship shape sailboat, but I would like less to minimal exterior teak to maintain. 3 coats of Epiphanes every 9 months takes lots of time.

Looking at the following thus far:

1. Albin North Sea Cutter 40 2005-2008 (really liking this one.) Primarily East Coast. Twins, fast trawler. 15-22kts. Prefer 1st Cummins or Cats, 2nd Yanmar or (Volvo's not preferred.)

2. Albin 36.

3. 2000 Mainship 430. Not much aft deck area.

4. 1996 Ed Monk 36. Nice vessel. Quite seaworthy. Single diesel, bow thruster.

5. 2001 Rosborough44.

6. 1992 Sabreline aft cabin fast trawler.

7. 2007 Island Pilot 395. Nice, fits most req. however, I'm not sure on the I/O Volvos dual props. Do you consider this power set up to stand the test of time and ocean use? Certainly the US Coast Guard among many other agencies use them in the SF Bay area. I just know that outdrives get eaten alive in salt water. (eventually.)

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Look on yachtworld.com or other boat broker site. The boats you have picked out are for sale there with info about them and lots of photos. When choosing filters for the search, use the all power boats option as many other kinds of boats beside traditional trawlers may suit your needs better. Have fun.

Welcome to TF, and good luck in your switch of vessel type. Many of us have done the same, and for much the same reasons. There will be times when you miss sailing - but not that many... :D

Aft cabin & aft cockpit are a tough combination especially if intended to provide boat access for the dog.

Welcome aboard. Personally I would not touch Volvos, lack of support and parts may take forever to get plus are pricey. If you want an aft csbin and cockpit., it will be difficult to get in less than 45’. Anyway good luck with your search, and have fun looking.

Welcome to TF.

Given limitations for dog and side decks and aft cabin, you've pretty well narrowed your choice to a trunk cabin trawler. Yea, many have exterior teak, but not all. If turn of speed is indeed important, you can pretty much rule out a single.

BTW - I often hear sailors say they want to go faster than 7 kts. There is a sizeable VMG difference between a 7 kt trawler and a 7 kt sailboat. I did the Baja Ha Ha on a friend's Willard 40 several years ago, one of four powerboats in a 160 boat fleet. Despite being slightly smaller than the aver size of 42 feet, we were one of the first 10 or so boats to arrive at the anchorages beating many bigger sailboats by a half day or more. We averaged 7.2 kts over the 1000 nm run from Long Beach to La Paz.

I personally like life at jogging speed. Given my full displacement Willard 36 hull wouldn't do more than 8 kts with a pair of Pratt & Whitney's bolted to her deck, I think I found the right boat for me.

Peter.

I agree with the others on here, that in the size range you're looking at, aft cabin and aft cockpit will be a tough pair to find. When looking for a blend of cockpit and motor yacht, Hatteras from the 70's-90's come to mind. Most of the options are 50'+, but I was surprised to see this odd-bird when checking the internet.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/hatteras-cockpit-motor-yacht-3706491/

Price. age & speed ranges: check
Cockpit: check
Aft cabin: check
Swim platform with Labrador access to cockpit: check
Upper/Lower helm: check
Walkaround: not really, well, maybe, possibly, sort of - probably doable by a Labrador

Location: Hmmm....perhaps already positioned to start the Loop?

Good luck with your hunt!

American Tug is built on the west coast so you should be able to find a fair number of used boats that will fill in your needs.
They are a bit pricey.

Editorial:
You want to consider only the WLL. The change over in the OAL messes with a person's mind.
If you are considering a newer boat, reduce the OAL length by 2-3 ft unless someone is going to sleep on the swim platform.

Last edited:
Something like a Tollycraft 44 CPMY fits at least most of your requirements, I think. Not really a trawler, but what you're looking for doesn't really require a trawler. Any motoryacht type with a suitable layout will do the job, and many have more ability to cruise on plane than most of the faster trawlers. The Mainship 430 is probably an exception there, as it's pretty much a planing hull.

The Ocean Alexander 44-46....aft cabin with cockpit. Ed Monk design(as for the Tolly 44). Semi-planing hull, which is not the case for most "trawlers" and tugs. Very efficient in the hull speed "plus" speed range. Maximum speed in the 17-25 knot range depending on the power plants (all twin diesel).

Our Airedale terrier (55 pounds) was able to negotiate all stairs except the one from cockpit to sundeck (four steps). He could jump down, but couldn't quite make the leap up, Our current Havanese dropkick can't handle that aft ladder in either direction. But both could negotiate either of the side boarding access points just fine. Same for entry from sundeck to cabin, and sundeck to flybridge.

Other than that this OA model line checks every one of your boxes. Note the lowered cutouts for the side windows....no sitting in a cave in these boats.

DSCN1750 (2).jpg

IMG_4239 (1).jpg

Last edited:
There were two North Sea Cutters at Roche harbor this last weekend. Very good looking boat and seem to be a nice size. I would give those a close look, they could fit the bill. I expect they are hard to find though, especially in this Covid market. We were seriously considering the Albin 35TE before we bought the Lindell. I didn't find the quality of the Abin to be stellar, but it's decent for a production boat.

OA is also a good choice as mentioned.

I agree with the others on here, that in the size range you're looking at, aft cabin and aft cockpit will be a tough pair to find.!

Not really. As others have said, either an OA 44 or a Tollycraft 44 would work quite well. There is not a shortage of good examples of either if one is patient.

Not really. As others have said, either an OA 44 or a Tollycraft 44 would work quite well. There is not a shortage of good examples of either if one is patient.

My sense is the ladder on these cockpit ACMY's would rule-out the dog. Many of the traditional trunk-cabin trawlers (GB36/42 style) would be easy for poochie to get to the cabin top, and it's usually just a couple steps to the flybridge.

Something has to give.......

Peter (petless)

Regarding top speed vs cruising speed. A displacement hull/trawlwr is always fully settled in the water. When the specs say 8knts cruise, 11kts max (as an example), you would be throwing a very minimal wake at 7-8 knts but at any faster, you'll be throwing a large wake and burning a disproportionate amount of fuel. So, you mat wish to consider a planing hull that gives the option of faster speed but also slower cruising speed
with proper engine load. This load is crucial to healthy diesel engine operation and life.
A diesel engine built to operate at 1800 rpm can't be run at 1200 rpm all the time without issues coming up.

Since you plan on going up and down the west coast, I suggest adding stabilizers to your list.

My sense is the ladder on these cockpit ACMY's would rule-out the dog. Many of the traditional trunk-cabin trawlers (GB36/42 style) would be easy for poochie to get to the cabin top, and it's usually just a couple steps to the flybridge.

Something has to give.......

Peter (petless)

That's one thing I thought was sort of unique about this example. Door from cockpit to the swim platform. Lots of ladders...but all only 2-3 steps.

Since you plan on going up and down the west coast, I suggest adding stabilizers to your list.

Stabilizers or a fast turn of speed to dodge weather.

For the speed range you're looking for you essentially are looking for a planing hull, which I think all of the boats you've mentioned have. All the boats you mention are good choices. They have modified V hulls with speeds limited only by horsepower. Given that you might consider adding a Tollycraft 44 to your list. They give reasonable economy at lower speeds but are 20kn capable, well built, and have minimal exterior teak. The downside is that they don't look very trawlerish.

One thing on speed. We moved from a full displacement that cruised at 7kn and maxed at about 8.5 to a boat that economically cruises 8.5kn and maxes out at 16. I find there is a big difference between 7 and 8.5--9kn. Therefore, despite having the extra speed available we don't really use it, other than to run the engines up now and then. Almost all the modern trawlers even with twin Leymans will happily do 8.5kn which is a big step up from what you're used to.

Last comment, I'd focus less on the year of the boat and more on the condition. I've seen boats built in the 70's that were in better condition than ones built in the 90's.

You should try to get on a Bayliner 4588 or 4788. May be an older boat than you're considering now but there are great examples of well maintained 45/47 out there.

Hi there,

I have been on this forum for 2 years. We are looking to switch from sail to power in the near future. Currently, have a 42' blue water cruising sailboat we have owned for many years. I've been lurking about for some time. Lot's of interesting people and reads. We have sailed up and down the CA coast and up into the Sea of Cortez. And back which is of course up hill for those who sail. I suppose the same for a power boat but with more options for hull speed. On Power vs Sail, or what size boat you have.... Were all on water! Hopefully, with the topsides up.

3. Capable of going up and down the CA coast, BC Alaska, Gulf Coast and MX. Also to do the Loop.

5. Minimal teak exterior. Possibly a cap rail and an eyebrow is ok. (I have lots of teak and am an expert varnisher. Epiphanes is my choice for exterior.

6. Labrador friendly. Hoping to find a vessel which will allow my seaworthy girl to access most of the boat including upper bridge. So steep 6-7' ladders are out. She can climb up and down our 6 steps into and out of the sailboat. However, getting onto the sailboat with a 6' gunwale from the water and transferring her to from is a real challenge. She is 65 lbs.

10.Prefer dinghy stored on vessel with crane or hoist vs on the stern swim step. Aft davits would be ok.

11. Ability to run at displacement speeds or at 12kts minimum. (I've run 5-6kts sailing and have a lot of places I want to go to.

12. Need an aft cockpit area for my girls and I to hang out. My wife and our Lab.

13. Walk around, SS handrails. A teak cap rail is ok. No exterior teak is even better.

14. Year 1995 or newer. Price hoping to stay under $150K, depending on the boat could go $200K. I'll just put that out there and see what comes back. We could go older, however, we currently have a ship shape sailboat, but I would like less to minimal exterior teak to maintain. 3 coats of Epiphanes every 9 months takes lots of time.

1. Albin North Sea Cutter 40 2005-2008 (really liking this one.) Primarily East Coast. Twins, fast trawler. 15-22kts. Prefer 1st Cummins or Cats, 2nd Yanmar or (Volvo's not preferred.)

2. Albin 36.

5. 2001 Rosborough44.

7. 2007 Island Pilot 395. Nice, fits most req. however, I'm not sure on the I/O Volvos dual props. Do you consider this power set up to stand the test of time and ocean use? Certainly the US Coast Guard among many other agencies use them in the SF Bay area. I just know that outdrives get eaten alive in salt water. (eventually.)

NO on outdrives.

How fast do you want to go? A 45' boat has a hull speed of about 9 knots. Unless it's a planing hull, it will take a lot of hp to go faster.

I agree with the others on here, that in the size range you're looking at, aft cabin and aft cockpit will be a tough pair to find. When looking for a blend of cockpit and motor yacht, Hatteras from the 70's-90's come to mind. Most of the options are 50'+, but I was surprised to see this odd-bird when checking the internet.
Price. age & speed ranges: check
Cockpit: check
Aft cabin: check
Swim platform with Labrador access to cockpit: check
Upper/Lower helm: check
Walkaround: not really, well, maybe, possibly, sort of - probably doable by a Labrador
Location: Hmmm....perhaps already positioned to start the Loop?
Good luck with your hunt!

Nice looking boat, but the ad is a mish mash of OLD pics, and NEW pics, showing where changes have been made, but really confusing, and appearing to show more room than it really has, plus NO pics of the engine room, or anything below deck, no mention of generator unless I missed, and lets see max speed 29kts, cruise speed 22 kts, and only 375 gallons of fuel? Pics of only one head, no separate shower pictured, not sure if one or two heads, not sure if wet head (no separate shower) or not. Worth looking into, but LOTS of unanswered questions!:dance:

Nice looking boat, but the ad is a mish mash of OLD pics, and NEW pics, showing where changes have been made, but really confusing, and appearing to show more room than it really has, plus NO pics of the engine room, or anything below deck, no mention of generator unless I missed, and lets see max speed 29kts, cruise speed 22 kts, and only 375 gallons of fuel? Pics of only one head, no separate shower pictured, not sure if one or two heads, not sure if wet head (no separate shower) or not. Worth looking into, but LOTS of unanswered questions!:dance:

Good point i've seen better ads. Misleading, confusing? Just clarify questions mentioned above BEFORE you go to see it. I've read of several occasions of multi hour drives based on outdated photos. And take new photos if you go to see it. So you can remember what you saw. This could all be an innocent case of a poorly made ad.

Last edited:
Good point i've seen better ads. Misleading, confusing? Just clarify questions mentioned above BEFORE you go to see it. I've read of several occasions of multi hour drives based on outdated photos. And take new photos if you go to see it. So you can remember what you saw. This could all be an innocent case of a poorly made ad.

Yup, I've got files of pics of boat's we've looked at, but decided to pass on! Can't have too many photo's!:D

Hi John,

I just sold my 1990 Sabreline Fast Trawler which I owned for 6 years. We loved that boat - EXCEPT - she had Detroits in her. When they were running they ran great but when we needed parts, we either had to have them re-built, custom made or brought in from China. I would highly recommend this boat if they had Cummins. Currently, I am in the process of buying an Albin 36 Express Trawler. She has single 450 Cummins 6 CTA and cruises at 14 knots. Also has two private cabins with one head. A much simpler boat. Good luck in your search!!

Bulldog. We have looked hard at the 36 Express. Checks nearly all the boxes. I'll mark off Detroits along with the Volvo's and outdrives. I'm a bit of a fan of a single and bow thrusters. How do you expect use this boat and why the selection of the Albin. What year are you looking for? Thanks.

Hi there,

Update on this boat: It is on the East Coast has the aft fuel tank of 80 gallons out of commission. This boat has (2) newer aluminum 145 gallon tanks in the engine room. Total fuel 290. They are located outboard of the engines. There was a pump that would pump the aft tank forward when the tank was actively used. Very tough to change due to having to go through the teak main salon to get to the tank which is under the cabin sole between the stringers.

Likely have to pass on this one. Not sure if 290 gallons is too small for my intended use. Seems light to me.

2. Albin 36.

5. 2001 Rosborough44.

Hi there fellow Trawler members and contributors to my search. Lot's of really helpful information. Your input is appreciated. I've made some updates below.

Updated requirements: 09/18/20
#2 Twins or single with bow thruster. Caterpillar, Cummins, Yanmar, John Deere,
NO: Volvo, Detroits, Perkins or Outdrives.

#4. Aft Cabin not required. Still prefer 2 cabins.

#11. 10-12kts cruising speed, but wish for ability to plane if we needed to. max 16-20kts.

#14. Year could be 1988 or later. We have seen some older boats in excellent condition. Our sailboat is a 1985, ready for world travel and in excellent condition.

Possible boats:
#7 Out is: Island Pilot out due to Inboard/outboard drives and usually Volvo's.

#8 Adding in Ocean Alexander 440. This was suggested and I had forgotten about the OA. Fits nearly every requirement and then some.

#9 Adding in Tollycraft 44 CPMY. This has been suggested and is a lot of boat in 44'.

Maybe I missed something, but Beneteau ST42 seems to fit the brief. If it`s in budget and if you find one with Yanmars not Volvos. The hull construction would bother me though not everyone, it`s the "lightness" that delivers the "swiftness"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom