Show us your marine wristwatch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another one in the Seiko club

That is a very nice watch. I tend to stick to the inexpensive Seiko's but the Marine Master is an amazing watch. And while it is expensive, I think it is as good as much more expensive luxury divers.

I'm a big fan of the seikos and have a good collection of them. The baby tuna is perhaps my favorite (this week)View attachment 107842

Yeah, nice watch. The Tuna was always too big for me but I have considered the baby tuna. I gave my SKX173 to my son, who really likes it, but kept my SKX013. Perfect size.

I have the zissou Vostok with the black face. It's a great conversation starter. The loose crown scared me for a bit until i found documentation that it's loose by design!

Yeah, I have the same watch in the blue. It actually is what is on my wrist today. I did change out the bezel as I've never been a fan of the Vostok bezel. I really like the Vostok and have a bunch. I've modded a few of them. One of the them I turned into an Explorer homage. I love the Rolex Explorer, just can't justify the price.

Lets face it, there are two types of people; those that wear watches and those that don't. It is kind of like the threads where someone asks what type of thrusters poeple use and then you get all the folks that will chime in with how thrusters are unnecessary. Likewise autopilots. So for those that have given up on watches, good for you. Enjoy your tablets, phones, "smart" watches, etc... there are some of us however, that enjoy using a watch.

I don't ever wear a watch, but can appreciate some of the fine timepieces shown.

I also rarely carry a phone. It does teach you how to estimate the time fairly well.

Yeah, I have the same watch in the blue. It actually is what is on my wrist today. I did change out the bezel as I've never been a fan of the Vostok bezel. I really like the Vostok and have a bunch. I've modded a few of them. One of the them I turned into an Explorer homage. I love the Rolex Explorer, just can't justify the price.

Why is there so much interest in the Vostok watches?

I'm a Seiko fan too. Oldest is about 18 years

Attachments

• 20200915_203747.jpg
    20200915_203747.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 27

I'm not a watch guy but I am a big fan of 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou'.

The Vostok people make a durable watch for a very reasonable price and will create
a custom watch for you which is how the Vostok 'Zissou' model came into being.

I almost bought a new one today but think I'll hold my horses until I can find a used one.

Any one tried out one of these. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/580642/pn/010-01688-40

Garmin Quatix 5 Marine Watch.
Specifically Designed for the Water Connects with compatible Garmin chartplotters and other devices to provide autopilot control³, remote waypoint marking, data streaming, sail racing assistance and much more

Attachments

• garmin-quatix-5.jpg
    garmin-quatix-5.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 32

They are kind of quirky. They were designed for the Soviet Military initially. The design philosophy is similar to other soviet equipment; cheap, rugged, reliable. Think of the Vostok as the AK-47 or T-34 of the watch world.

The Vostok Amphibia isn’t the most attractive watch. Not the most accurate. It is available in a lot of different designs however and because of its simplicity, is easy to modify.

Casio Protrek Manaslu PRX-2000T

Protrek_Manaslu_PRX-2000T__11857.1488888248__46934.1561371129.jpg

Solar powered. Has compass and barometer. Time corrects via satellite.

Last edited:
Have had this one for a while now wear it daily

Attachments

• D304567B-E1D2-4BD0-A8F7-652F6D19ED14.jpg
    D304567B-E1D2-4BD0-A8F7-652F6D19ED14.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 24
I got one for Christmas! Love it!

Any one tried out one of these. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/580642/pn/010-01688-40

Garmin Quatix 5 Marine Watch.
Specifically Designed for the Water Connects with compatible Garmin chartplotters and other devices to provide autopilot control³, remote waypoint marking, data streaming, sail racing assistance and much more

I am a bit of a collector of watches. I wear this one daily! My favorite function is the Anchor Alarm!

Aloha and Mahalo!

Sure you can do everything on your phone, including finding the time. I still prefer a wrist watch for ease of a quick glance at my wrist. Don't have to take it out of my pocket and push any buttons. I had a very expensive Tag for many years. Now it's an inexpensive nautical themed Nautica with a rubber wrist band. No frills, just the time. Not a dive watch, but good enough to swim with.

I have a Garmin Fenix 5xplus. Its been a great watch. I use it to steer the boat thru the Garmin autopilot. I can check tides. It can display water depth and check for anchor drag. It also remotely control my fusion auto system.

6pcV4XrHzdFQWK2Q8

Last edited:
Got one of these (image is not my watch) when I was in college except with the SS wrist band. Worked flawlessly. Have to change the battery every 7-10 years. Water resistant to 100m (so it says). Wear it most of the time, including scuba diving. At the time I bought it, it was something like $50, kind of pricy for a poor college student back in the day.

A couple of years ago I dropped in on a ceramic tile floor which messed up the movement. Display would show random segments and pressing the buttons caused weird things to happen. Spent a couple of weeks looking at new watches (it'd been about 35+ years, so maybe time for a new one). Looked in a bunch of shops and online. Never could find one I liked (too big, too flashy, too whatever). Of course they don't make this watch any more. However, through the wonders of the interweb, I found someone on eBay in the Netherlands who happened to be selling the movement to this watch. So for about $70 bought the guts of the thing from this guy. When it arrived I dropped in and the watch has worked fine every since. Turns out that the movement was made by Seiko.

BTW, it's the only watch I own. Never saw the need to have more than one. I've had the same watch for over 40 years.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 24
Always fascinated with expensive and heavy analog watches. Finally realized that watches didn't have to be analog, heavy, or expensive. I got an Armitron digital while looking for a watchband to replace one on a dive watch. It cost all of $14 and gives me an accurate stopwatch as well as two time zones. While in the military I always preferred two time zones, one to GMT/UCT and one to local. Plus I've never had any problems being in the water with this one. I'd be lost without a watch and this one keeps me sane.

Ive been wearing a rolex seadweller since 1996, but still use my seiko dive watch when i bring the rolex in for its 5 year service. (Which i do every 8 years, lol)

That being said, I love that seiko quartz dive watch more than the rolex.

Its just a good godamn watch. Now since im in my mid 40s and don’t give a crap about status, may go back to the seiko

From above

Attachments

• ABAF070E-EF03-4F70-8348-328F71D6A90E.jpg
    ABAF070E-EF03-4F70-8348-328F71D6A90E.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 23
  • 76F2A2BA-9A88-4297-8085-6CB7A6C70129.jpeg
    76F2A2BA-9A88-4297-8085-6CB7A6C70129.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 24
watches

Technically , my watch is mechanical. But traditionally a wristwatch has been an important navigational device. For the last 20 years I wore a Rolex Submariner almost 24/7. Its been rugged and reliable (with regular service.) But recently I found there were other options for a good rugged dive watch. Today I am sporting an Oris Great Barrier Reef.
What is your favorite watch or your favorite boating watch?View attachment 107730

I've worn a Rolex Explorer for 25 years. I bought it as a present to myself when I retired from the Marine Corps. I'm a proud owner, an admirer and lifetime fan of Rolex watches. However, a $50 Timex keeps better time than any Rolex ever built. They are rubber, waterproof, more accurate and disposable. When I'm exercising or boating I wear my Timex. The rest of the time I wear my Rolie.

seiko automatic today

Attachments

• 2020-09-18 15.10.28.jpg
    2020-09-18 15.10.28.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 28
Sinn U1 to go with my Mainship 390...

Attachments

• 20200918_183717.jpg
    20200918_183717.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 32
I bring along a living watch. It does not tell me the time, just that I am late and I should hurry up!

She also acts as a living speedometer in the car, a living inclinometer while on a sailboat, a.........

I've worn a Rolex Explorer for 25 years. I bought it as a present to myself when I retired from the Marine Corps. I'm a proud owner, an admirer and lifetime fan of Rolex watches. However, a $50 Timex keeps better time than any Rolex ever built. They are rubber, waterproof, more accurate and disposable. When I'm exercising or boating I wear my Timex. The rest of the time I wear my Rolie.
I think Rolex makes an incredibly durable watch. I never owned a watch before teh rolex that the band or clasp did not break on (or it took on water). My sub is worth more now than when I bought it and its still 100% operational. The durability alone speaks volumes for the brand.

Sinn U1 to go with my Mainship 390...

Great watch! A lot of folks are critical of the hands for some reason, but personally I like the watch as a whole and I find that watch easier to read than any other I have seen.

Great watch! A lot of folks are critical of the hands for some reason, but personally I like the watch as a whole and I find that watch easier to read than any other I have seen.

Agree! That's exactly why I got it. Had laser surgery on my eyes and though it gave me 20-20 vision for distance, I couldn't see the hands on my previous watch. I saw the Sinn U1 without reading glasses and could easily make out the time. I was sold!

Have a clock showing only the days of the week. Isn't that a necessity for retired folk?

Being a bit of a watch nerd...when I started diving I looked for niche watch makers. Benarus started in 2008. They aren't your Omega/Rolexes $10K+ watches but their movements the same. I have a Moray, a Remora, Sea Snake (one for each kid when I die)..nice watches, Steve & Ralf are German watchmakers, limited editions, about a year+ to get a watch...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...340765&th=174a3cd5ef2d14dd&view=att&disp=safe

Last edited:
My wife gave this to me in 1988, the day we got married. - 32 years ago. ?
It looks and feels exactly the same as the day I first put it on. I have grown accustomed to the weight of it and kinda feel naked without it.
It has endured several years of saturation diving, from salvaging Harrier jump jets to installing subsea assets in 1000' of water, and still looks good at Starbucks.
The only other watch I have is a Fitbit which I must confess to using more & more as time goes on. That said, we are just about to go out for lunch at the yacht club with friends, and the Rolex is on.

Attachments

• Rolex 2020.jpg
    Rolex 2020.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom