Show us your marine wristwatch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a older Submariner for many years and it was constantly in the shop. Finally sold it, for double what I paid.

Nowadays I love my Doxa, but honestly would never buy another mechanical movement watch again.
IMG_6468.jpg

I don't wear a watch. I haven't worn a watch in decades. I can usually guess the time to within about 20 minutes, which is fine for my needs. I do keep clocks around the house and the boat and look over at them occasionally.

Brought this Tag home from Mexico. Better than a tattoo. Never comes off, 20 years old.Image~2.jpeg

I wear an Apple Gen 5 watch. The way I have the face set up I can see the following information instantly:
Time, day, date, temperature (current, highs and lows) UV index, wind speed and direction, compass heading, next calendar event, number of messages waiting, stock price of my choice, and my physical activity summaries. When underway I may change one of the readings to tides. Now this is just on the first face before scrolling. I can also answer phone calls, make phone calls and ask Siri questions.

Attachments

• DC61C5AF-9763-4DAE-AC55-5397D7F92CDD.jpg
    DC61C5AF-9763-4DAE-AC55-5397D7F92CDD.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 40
I wear an Apple Gen 5 watch. The way I have the face set up I can see the following information instantly:
Time, day, date, temperature (current, highs and lows) UV index, wind speed and direction, compass heading, next calendar event, number of messages waiting, stock price of my choice, and my physical activity summaries. When underway I may change one of the readings to tides. Now this is just on the first face before scrolling. I can also answer phone calls, make phone calls and ask Siri questions.

And it's waterproof!( or is supposed to be waterproof.)

Except for a dive watch (when diving), I haven't worn a wristwatch in 20-30 years. And when I quit worrying about what time it is, my life got better.
My boat has clocks, so do the cell phones, nav programs, vehicle, etc. I don't see the point in wearing a watch.

I have a pile of watches, wear one every day, but to this day, this was one of my favorites. Seiko orange. Had one in my 20's when I was actually a commercial diver, but somewhere in life I lost it. I bought a refurbished replacement about five years ago but the self-winding mechanism doesn't work. Unless I constantly swing my arm like I'm having a seizure it'll stop in about five minutes.
View attachment 107785

I would bet, depending on the age of the watch, it uses a Seiko 7s26 movement. You can buy one new on ebay for under $50 and doing a movement swap is relatively easy. So, if the watch appeals to you, it might be worth it.

80e42f10-a62b-4aee-9a83-bc8671b842b3_1.231d2a17b0e09d265395852cde98a877.jpeg

Casio Dive Watch. It keeps better time than my Rolex Submariner did, and when I lose it (like I did a few months ago) instead of panicking or calling my insurance company, I just go to Wal-Mart and laid out another $50.

The Casio Duro is a very good watch and has a good rep among watch enthusiasts who aren't watch snobs. Accurate, cheap, and WR to 200 bar. Bill Gates often wears one.

I don't own one as it is a large watch (45mm diameter if I recall) which is bigger than like to wear. If it was smaller, I would own one.

When I was a young guy visiting places like Singapore and Hong Kong in the 80’s there was a vendor on every corner selling fake Rolex watches. We would ask them if they had a
Seiko with Rolex parts, but I don’t think the joke translated well.

I also have a 1963 gold Omega Seamaster Deville.

Lets face it, there are two types of people; those that wear watches and those that don't. It is kind of like the threads where someone asks what type of thrusters poeple use and then you get all the folks that will chime in with how thrusters are unnecessary. Likewise autopilots. So for those that have given up on watches, good for you. Enjoy your tablets, phones, "smart" watches, etc... there are some of us however, that enjoy using a watch.

I like dive watches since they are generally rugged, water resistant, and by definition, easy to read. The rotating bezel is very useful for all kinds of things. I don't do expensive watches, so no Seamasters, Submariners, or Sea-Dwellers for me. Although they are exceptionally nice. I have a couple Seiko divers. Automatic movement and WR to 200 and 300 meters. I also have 2 Citizen automatic divers, again 200m WR. I also have a couple Russian Vostoks. These are fantastic little atuomatic dive watches that are very cheap, and very rugged. All of them are great watches for the boat.

I have a couple of Casio G-Shock with very accurate tide functions which is very useful. I prefer analog watches, but one of the G-Shocks is what I wear when I'm going to be working on the engine.

One of the watches that ends up getting the most wrist time on the boat is a Citizen ecodrive field watch that was designed for the British Royal Marines. Absolute rock solid watch that likely will outlast my children.

Attachments

• 2018-12-31 21.04.26.jpg
    2018-12-31 21.04.26.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2018-12-07 16.50.28.jpg
    2018-12-07 16.50.28.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 32
  • 2018-11-29 07.26.20.jpg
    2018-11-29 07.26.20.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2018-12-01 18.47.54.jpg
    2018-12-01 18.47.54.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 32
Lets face it, there are two types of people; those that wear watches and those that don't.

One of the watches that ends up getting the most wrist time on the boat is a Citizen ecodrive field watch that was designed for the British Royal Marines. Absolute rock solid watch that likely will outlast my children.

You change [coordinate] shirt colors and fabric for every watch shown? Or... do you have a plethora of watch photos in your folder?? LOL :hide: :whistling: :D

You change [coordinate] shirt colors and fabric for every watch shown? Or... do you have a plethora of watch photos in your folder?? LOL :hide: :whistling: :D

Those were some photos I found on my computer. Embarrassingly, there are a lot more... :whistling:

Reactions: Art
I'm a big fan of the seikos and have a good collection of them. The baby tuna is perhaps my favorite (this week)20200826_173638.jpeg

Lets face it, there are two types of people; those that wear watches and those that don't. It is kind of like the threads where someone asks what type of thrusters poeple use and then you get all the folks that will chime in with how thrusters are unnecessary. Likewise autopilots. So for those that have given up on watches, good for you. Enjoy your tablets, phones, "smart" watches, etc... there are some of us however, that enjoy using a watch.

I like dive watches since they are generally rugged, water resistant, and by definition, easy to read. The rotating bezel is very useful for all kinds of things. I don't do expensive watches, so no Seamasters, Submariners, or Sea-Dwellers for me. Although they are exceptionally nice. I have a couple Seiko divers. Automatic movement and WR to 200 and 300 meters. I also have 2 Citizen automatic divers, again 200m WR. I also have a couple Russian Vostoks. These are fantastic little atuomatic dive watches that are very cheap, and very rugged. All of them are great watches for the boat.

I have a couple of Casio G-Shock with very accurate tide functions which is very useful. I prefer analog watches, but one of the G-Shocks is what I wear when I'm going to be working on the engine.

That Citizen is a very nice piece.

Absent of gold chains and stuff like ear and finger rings, wrist watches are the last (or first) option for jewelry display for men.

Always told myself if I ever got to the stage I needed to wear a timepiece again I would go the Flava Flav look for shits and giggles. (-;

Last edited:
I would bet, depending on the age of the watch, it uses a Seiko 7s26 movement. You can buy one new on ebay for under $50 and doing a movement swap is relatively easy. So, if the watch appeals to you, it might be worth it.

What do you know, checked the back, you're right. 7S26-0020. Huh. I'll give it a try. I have a pretty decent watch tool collection, change all my own batteries and do band adjustments and other minor things. Heck, the watch won't keep running as-is, I might as well give it a try. Thanks so much for the tip.

Another one in the Seiko club

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 33
i'm with Dhays; got several; some people collect things... watch guys love watches. Yeah I have a smart phone too but with the phone i have to pull it out of my pocket, wake it up, and if I want tide info, I have to punch several buttons to get to it whereas the H&G i just glance in a fraction of a second. Other than my hook & gaff, for diving if i'm not using my wrist dive computer, I use a Luminox navy seal watch.

luminox.jpg

My 70’s era GMT Master, living out it life on a Timex stand.

Attachments

• 18A7F23C-5819-4E3C-BD1F-C8CC65843F5F.jpg
    18A7F23C-5819-4E3C-BD1F-C8CC65843F5F.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 34
...I also have a couple Russian Vostoks. These are fantastic little atuomatic dive watches that are very cheap, and very rugged. All of them are great watches for the boat.

I have the zissou Vostok with the black face. It's a great conversation starter. The loose crown scared me for a bit until i found documentation that it's loose by design!

I bring along a living watch. It does not tell me the time, just that I am late and I should hurry up!

It took me a long time to find this one. My criteria were that it be an analog watch, quartz movement, no battery changes, day as well as date, proper unidirectional bezel, waterproof, and NOT huge. In my work as a nurse I do 12 hour shifts in a 5 week rotation schedule, so I really need the day and date feature! Digital watches are no good for measuring a patient's heartbeat or respiratory rate, thus the analog. I use the bezel all day long for timing infusions and procedures, and to tell me when my break is over. I also use the bezel on the boat to mark times that I will later record in the log.

Strangely, there are a ton of automatic day-dates but very few solars with that feature. This thing is accurate to a couple of seconds a month. Yeah, I'm funny that way.

sne107p1_27.jpg

I have two wrist watches. My favorite is my Yes Watch. The one I find I wear the most is my Garmin Fenix 5.

YES-Watch-Equilibrium-15.jpg

Fenix-5-plus-Serie.jpg

In business and life in general... My wife and I "Watch" each other.

We always run our time on the "JITZ"... making sure we are on time for everything!

JITZ = Just In Time Zone to accomplish all needs - On Time!

My submariner has been the most rugged watch I have ever owned. The band never broke , nor did any other part of it that made the watch not function, which was a major reason I bought it in the first place. Previously I would lose watches at a a rate of about 2 a year from losing them at work, windsurfing, surfing, or whatever. I could not keep a watch from breaking previous to owning a submariner. And I never took it off so I never lost it.

The last straw for me and the Submariner, was leaving it on the nightstand of a hotel (I always take my watch off at night), having to get up and leave really early, forgetting it, and then remembering it two hours later and having to turn around and go back for it, and then having to shake the maids down to get it back.

That and one of my friends getting beat half to death by three guys trying to take his off of him as he walked out of a bar one night, and I began to come to the realization that it was time to leave my Rolex phase (1989 to 1994) behind. :D

Last edited:
It took me a long time to find this one. My criteria were that it be an analog watch, quartz movement, no battery changes, day as well as date, proper unidirectional bezel, waterproof, and NOT huge. In my work as a nurse I do 12 hour shifts in a 5 week rotation schedule, so I really need the day and date feature! Digital watches are no good for measuring a patient's heartbeat or respiratory rate, thus the analog. I use the bezel all day long for timing infusions and procedures, and to tell me when my break is over. I also use the bezel on the boat to mark times that I will later record in the log.

Strangely, there are a ton of automatic day-dates but very few solars with that feature. This thing is accurate to a couple of seconds a month. Yeah, I'm funny that way.

sne107p1_27.jpg

Seiko fills a lot of gaps and is the best bang for the buck for a non smart watch.

Have a Rolex submariner. Actually used it for Marian-Bermuda races and we got there with no time penalty :). But it’s in the safe and don’t wear a watch on the boat. Think watches , jewelry, even rings are a hazard on a boat. Have a solar powered cheap watch we hang up next to the nav station and of course every screen gives you time so think wearing a watch is not necessary as we now snorkel not dive. Do wear the iwatch rowing. Has a good program to follow heart rate, stroke rate and distance.

Back
Top Bottom