Old 09-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
rslifkin
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic1 View Post

I generally agree with rslifkin about digital readings, however, a recent experience showed me the value. I was having temperature issues on my port engine, which turned out to be the raw water impeller. After replacing the impeller and extracting the pieces from the heat exchanger, I was still not entirely certain everything was resolved. So I took the boat out and could watch the temp of each engine climb to normal level. Then I put the boat on plane, which is when the temp would rise. Both engines climbed a couple degrees, then settled back down to normal. By having numbers instead of a dial, I could clearly see what was happening.
That's a good point. However, a well-chosen analog gauge should provide enough information in that situation as well. You want one with enough resolution and well placed markings in and around the "normal" range. I'm particularly fussy about that with temperature gauges. On my boat, I want the straight up point to be 175 - 180*, as normal temperature up on plane is anywhere from 175 in cold water to just over 180 in very warm water. At low speeds they run in the 165 - 170 range, but things don't happen as fast at light load.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote