New Discovery Channel boating series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AKA, the "Alaskan Bush People go to Sea". Sorry, worth watching only for comic relief.

Regards,

Pete

AKA, the "Alaskan Bush People go to Sea". Sorry, worth watching only for comic relief.

Regards,

Pete

Yeah, but it reminded me of a gutsier version of me. My first "big boat" was a 33 ft. wood Chris Craft Cavalier that I couldn't afford, had to do all the work myself and "jury rig" wherever I could.

Crossed Lake Michigan 3 times on that boat. When I look back on it now, all I can say is "OMG!":banghead::banghead::banghead:

Interesting and thanks for sharing but its hard for me to get excited about a sailboat. Now a 120 foot Nordhavn would be awesome. Lol

Since I have done many stupid things, at least some people though they were stupid, like sailing from California to Hawaii in a 24 foot sailboat, without any electronics like GPS. And what I know about ferro-cement boat building, I don't think I would ever apply for a crew position. I saw the first episode, and they were fixing cracks in the hull. I don't think ferro-cement boats are all that strong and I have seen a number of them and know people that have owned them. Make good TV, not sure about good seamenship.

Ferro cement boats

Since I have done many stupid things, at least some people though they were stupid, like sailing from California to Hawaii in a 24 foot sailboat, without any electronics like GPS. And what I know about ferro-cement boat building, I don't think I would ever apply for a crew position. I saw the first episode, and they were fixing cracks in the hull. I don't think ferro-cement boats are all that strong and I have seen a number of them and know people that have owned them. Make good TV, not sure about good seamenship.

Your reply got me curious about ferro cement boats, found this thread, its 5 pages long, more than I wanted to know!:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/ferro-cement-boat-4716.html

We watched the first two episodes last night...
I do not watch much TV at all, but this is almost scary in my eyes, I would not play in the ice with a ferro boat, nor would I bring the kids.. And even at 120 feet there is not enough room for the amount of Rum I would need to put up with most of the people.

Adventure time is cool and all, right up until your dead.
yes I will probably watch all of it to see where it gets stuck in the Ice at.

Great quote!

Regards,

Pete

This is one that I will NEVER forget! Thanks!:):):)

Just started watching. That captain is over confident, which is VERY dangerous. He's also dismissive of potential problems.

So it makes good TV, but not a boat I'd be on (for that passage anyway).

wow wow wow!!!!

Don't bring Alaska into this. All these so called Alaska reality shows are a bunch of crap and any true Alaskan will tell you that!!!!

wow wow wow!!!!

Don't bring Alaska into this. All these so called Alaska reality shows are a bunch of crap and any true Alaskan will tell you that!!!!

I agree....the perception of living in Alaska is way off if the media is the source.

I thought the Alaskan Bush People moved to Idaho after they got out of jail for defrauding the Alaska Fund.

I too have been watching this nightmare of an expedition. in the beginning they say all but 2 boats turned back. of the 2 one sank. obviously this is the one that made it and I am sure by just luck. I wonder what kind of seaworthiness the other boat had going on. who in their right mind would under-take such a expedition in a boat like that let alone with small children.

DIscovery series

I too have been watching this nightmare of an expedition. in the beginning they say all but 2 boats turned back. of the 2 one sank. obviously this is the one that made it and I am sure by just luck. I wonder what kind of seaworthiness the other boat had going on. who in their right mind would under-take such a expedition in a boat like that let alone with small children.

Just one more example of how the extreme seems to be the only case that makes it to our public media!

Yep. In an advertising driven media, what constitutes “good tv?”

Viewers.

Can’t blame anyone but ourselves.

Good TV?

Yep. In an advertising driven media, what constitutes “good tv?”

Viewers.

Can’t blame anyone but ourselves.

I just LOVE how close to poliitical we are getting with this. Without, of course, getting political, which would be breaking the forum rules!:dance:

I just LOVE how close to poliitical we are getting with this. Without, of course, getting political, which would be breaking the forum rules!:dance:

My comment had no political intent whatsoever. Just the reality and sorry state of tv with a slight elaboration of Peter’s comment. If you want to read more into it, I suppose you can interpret it any way you want.

And now one has gotten himself accused of raping two women. One of them was the family’s “personal assistant”!

Bad boating makes good TV.

Good boating makes bad TV.

Guess what's on TV?

Well said.

OTOH, there was some great television coverage of the round the world sailboat racing. Interesting for an former sailor anyway.

Didn't see anything political from here.

I would not take my driveway to sea. It’s got cracks everywhere

I thought the S/V name was familiar. Their bravado and belief in their competence could have arisen from this crossing... another what were they thinking journey. At least enough smarts to leave the small children at home then.

There was mention in this movie about the Northwest Passage.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5656006/

Want to see silly (in the same vein as the OP's show recommendation)?

"Dangerous Waters" on Amazon Prime. A story of wanting to take Sea-Doos from Seattle to Alaska...and beyond.

(spoiler alert- all of us have better planning in moving to a duel dock than these folks....)

Anyone interested in Arctic cruising should have a look at the award winning 'Highest Latitude'. It's not the NW Passage, but Svalbard. The filming is pretty stunning, 25 minutes of eye candy. Found at
Enjoy!

watched the final episode last nite. the chances this captain took to get his boat out of the ice was ridiculous. he's looking for a crew to go to a very cold place. this idiot is going to get someone killed.

I too saw the final episode. He went against the ice charts and against the advice of the Canadian CG. Interviews with crew members second guessing the captain's "orders"...

He basically got stuck in the ice and the tide washed in the direction they were headed. Big brew-ha about abandoning ship, kids getting on the PFDs, polar bear shots.....man over board....very exciting! B-)

The ice broke up after getting out of those narrows and voila, genius captain!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom