N62 infinity ∞

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep up the posts and blog Andy. How are you grabbing weather updates and how accurate have they been in your more current travels? Aren't you in the middle of typhoon season?

Hi Sunchaser,
The Blog is woefully behind. :banghead:
I'm working in India, and Julie is staying on INFINITY in Australia, while I'm at work. We have an Iridium-go on INFINITY and I pay each month for their 'Professional' forecasting package. It's OK, certainly not the greatest, but it's SOMETHING to ease your anguish, that you have done all you can do while the wind is howling around you 800 miles offshore.

In our experience, the weather is always greater (more severe) than is forecasted. And on a passage, you can always expect 35 kts and 3m seas at some stage, always. It's kind of humbling. The Yin and Yang of ocean cruising. You always gonna pay a few days, in order to enjoy the glorious days. Almost a natural order to it.

Yes, it is Hurricane season around us now - we pray a lot!

Although I've been absent from posting on this thread for sometime, I have read every word up to this point and am in awe of your adventures and experience.

Since I just live down the road from Dana Point and am quite familiar with the Nordy models, I often wonder wether you & Julie often think about owning another different Nordhavn model, or any other ocean crossing boat, for that matter. From the standpoint of Looks. (salty)
huge forward deck, house way aft, etc., the 62 still remains my favorite! :oldman:

Hi Codger!
Julie and I do lust over various Nordhavn models from time to time (how could one Not!?), but to be honest, we are very happy with our decision to invest our money, blood, sweat and tears into INFINITY. Of course I love the N62, but it was Julie who provided the push for this particular model, God bless her. Not a day goes by that I do not give thanks for our situation.

That being said,,,, I'm a sailor at heart, a boat fanatic, and an addict. I'm constantly looking at other boats and imagining how I'd fit into their lives. I imagined owning a Nordhavn 56 Motorsailor many times. I've also seriously looked at the Dashews FPB, envying the speed. And even the robustness and simplicity of a steel Diesel Duck. There are a couple of boat designers out there (Sam Devlin and Michael Kasten) who I'm always on their website lusting after some of their designs. I've also exchanged a few emails with Tad Roberts, he has a 60' Aluminum Dory that I seriously considered building. It goes on and on. I can't help it. I work on a boat, I live on a boat, and when I go to sleep, I actually dream about boats. I have no idea where this obsession comes from. But as obsessions go, can't be that bad, right? I'm probably going to have to buy some land in Hawaii, and just build a house, and get over it. Whew, I feel better now, thanks!

Covid-19 upside? Well, for us it means more time to invest in those infrequent (but loved) projects. I have finally updated our "Destination: Australia" entry on our website - for those inclined to look. Hopefully, I'll be able to make more use of this imposed 'isolation' time, and keep our blog up-to-date as we go! :thumb:

The new entry can be found here

https://n62infinity.com/listing/australia/

Nice update Andy, Cheers to you and Julie!

Greetings TF team,

I have just created a PHOTOS section to our website for those who may be interested. I have no idea why I had not done this already??

The sub menus are Yacht Photos and INFINITY Favorites

The Newsletter to those subscribed, had the following update:
> So what's new with us?? Not much. We're hanging out in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia (aboard INFINITY), trying to wait out Covid-19 as best we can. While I admit we are in somewhat of a Paradise, we both are finding the extended lock-down very unnerving. No surrounding countries are currently issuing Visas. (Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, etc). If we repatriate back to Canada, we are told there is no clear idea when we could return to Australia and INFINITY. So, for the time being we are 'stuck' here. It's certainly a concern, BUT I thank God we have each other, we are both happy and healthy, and we can still muster feelings of gratitude for how fortunate we are.
>
> Look for an update to the Australia Covid-19 listing by the end of the month.

I hope this finds all the Trawler aficionados well. God bless.

Great to hear from you, Andy! Thanks for the update. I started to worry about you being stuck out there like a man (and his bride) alone on their boat without a country but I just returned from your photo pages. After viewing your Favourite Photos, I don't feel bad for you in your 'predicament' any more. Well done!!

Great shots, buddy! Hope our wakes cross again sometime.

Cheers from FlyWright!

Some of those photos are, simply put, stunning. :)

Andy
The boat looks great. Given your ambitious travel schedule, how have you been able to keep things shipshape and mechanically perfect?

Stunning photos.

When I see your awesome, shiny boat, I can’t help but wonder how long it takes to wax all that gel coat? Do you do it yourself? I can barely wax my little boat myself.

Hi Sunchaser,
I admit that previously (before Covid-19), trying to keep on top of the boat jobs was overwhelming at times. The reality is that she isn't always shipshape and mechanically perfect at all ?. Our vessel has built-in redundancy in all major systems, so when one goes down, we have an alternate solution (and spares) at hand. When we get to Port, we spend a LOT of time bringing her back up to speed. It's actually become our "lifestyle" now (for the last 8 years). It's not all sunsets and paddleboards. BUT, as you have seen, we do get to enjoy the fruit along the way, and it makes it all worthwhile.

That said, since Covid has arrived, I have literally whittled a 127-point shitlist down to 6 jobs now, and INFINITY has never been in better shape. Some silver lining there on the utter shambles that Covid-19 has brought us.

Hi Cardude,
Julie and I wash, wax, and maintain every single inch of INFINITY ourselves. And it's a HUGE job. We are not getting any younger, and the jobs are not getting any easier. To cope, we have refined our procedures down to a science (time-&-motions man would be proud), and we break the jobs down into days now. For instance, to wash the boat, it takes three days.
Day 1: Pilot House and upper deck.
Day 2: Main deck.
Day 3: Aft deck and bustle

Waxing is done separately. We simply take one area, and spend a two-hour period doing just that area. Perhaps doing this twice a week, when in 'waxing-mode'.

Engine room stuff typically gets done as required, or as per my own maintenance schedule which I have developed in Excel.

It's not really easy, but it's doable. We have discussed down-sizing just this month actually, but we have fallen in love with INFINITY and feel she's part of us. Funny how emotional one can get when you discuss saying good-bye to your boat. I think my last sentiment about it was: over my dead body. ?

Hi Cardude,
Julie and I wash, wax, and maintain every single inch of INFINITY ourselves. And it's a HUGE job. We are not getting any younger, and the jobs are not getting any easier. To cope, we have refined our procedures down to a science (time-&-motions man would be proud), and we break the jobs down into days now. For instance, to wash the boat, it takes three days.

Waxing is done separately. We simply take one area, and spend a two-hour period doing just that area. Perhaps doing this twice a week, when in 'waxing-mode'.

Engine room stuff typically gets done as required, or as per my own maintenance schedule which I have developed in Excel.

It's not really easy, but it's doable. We have discussed down-sizing just this month actually, but we have fallen in love with INFINITY and feel she's part of us. Funny how emotional one can get when you discuss saying good-bye to your boat. I think my last sentiment about it was: over my dead body. ?

Wifey B: I would think you'd find downsizing very difficult. Have you considered others for cleaning work, either at marinas by locals or by taking a young crew member with you? :)

Wifey B: I would think you'd find downsizing very difficult. Have you considered others for cleaning work, either at marinas by locals or by taking a young crew member with you? :)

Male or female?

Hi Cardude,

It's not really easy, but it's doable. We have discussed down-sizing just this month actually, but we have fallen in love with INFINITY and feel she's part of us. Funny how emotional one can get when you discuss saying good-bye to your boat. I think my last sentiment about it was: over my dead body. [emoji12]

Damn. Y’all are troopers. I guess if I lived on a boat like that I’d try to do the same, but not sure I could actually pull it all off.

Hi Andrew,

I just spent a slow afternoon going through your photo's trying to work out where each was taken, was Norfolk Island in the frame? As for Infinity she is simply gorgeous, probably my favourite boat on TF.

Did you spend anytime in Pittwater(Sydney) on your way through to the Whitsundays? There was a very similar N62 anchored there about a year or so ago, off Coasters Retreat. I remember circling the Nordharven to get a good look, I think they thought we were going to board her, the skipper looked at us very thoughtfully, but with only one blonde 5'3" first mate on board i didn't like our chances. :rolleyes:

Andrew,

I also really enjoyed your web site, There was a photo of Infinity anchored at Navandra in Fiji. Somewhere in our cruising photos I have the same shot of that perfect sand spit beach and I instantly knew exactly where it was taken!. I have moved a rock taken off that beach (in 1993) to the last four homes we have owned. It has a very distinctive green stripe through it. I think one of the reason that place is time stamped into our memory was we did an amazing dive in the bay which was followed by the the worst night at anchor as we and our guests rolled our guts out sleeping on the cabin sole until dawn.

HOLLYWOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom