Best boat breakfasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
Our favorites are boiled eggs, sausage or bacon and probably the finest drink on earth...boat coffee. What are yours?

IMG_4716.jpg

If a moving day usually a cup of coffee before we start and a bowl of cereal when underway.

If staying put, big pot of coffee, poached eggs on toast, or cheese on toast, or turkey sausage on toast, or cereal. We have just introduced corn beef hash at home on weekends and will be adding that to our boat breakfasts.

I eat the same thing every day on the boat or at home for years at a time. When in port or with a friend, I'll go out for breakfast.

Currently its a smoothie with:
A banana
Oatmeal
Activia
Honey
Cinnamon
Almond milk

Add a hard boiled egg (bought 6 to a bag already peeled), 2 shots of Nespresso, and a glass of orange juice.

Ted

Like Menzies, whether moving that day or not definitely factors in.
On a moving day (and the majority of other days), we get underway and then have a cup of tea. Later, a bowl of granola (with various seeds) mixed with Kefer (yogurt).
Once a week or so when not a moving day, we will have fried eggs, bacon, and either pancakes or french toast. To make it easier, when at home before our trip, my wife will precook (partially cooked) the bacon and freeze it in portioned packages. When making breakfast, then the bacon only needs a bit more cooking (basically a warming up), leaving an easier cleanup as well.
We usually only have one cup of joe each day, and that we make using a conical drip filter system (Melita) and hot water.

One cup of powerful coffee. Usually that's it.

Sometimes granola with yogurt, sometimes a fried egg variation, once and a blue moon huevos rancheros.

Usually it's"lunch".

Don't get me wrong, I like a big breakfast. We're just itching to get going and aren't hungry at 0600.

A Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich works for me, quick and easy and tastes good. No coffee, ever!

When moving: granola, yogurt, fruit (doesn't slosh).

Quick breakfast sandwich - we often have leftover grilled onions, peppers, and/or mushrooms. Will take a tablespoon of that with some chopped ham or bacon or sausage and zap in a ramekin . Add a beaten egg and zap in same ramekin 30-seconds at a time. Put between a toasted English muffin, toast or bagel.

Favorite weekend breakfast are corn cakes with jalapeños. Mmmmm

We bake from scratch quite a bit. Passes the time and easier to store dry goods vs loaves of bread.

Peter

Sunday special, based eggs, steak, thin sliced potatoes fried golden brown, bakery bread, blackberry preserves and coffee.
Second best, Home made banana nut pancakes, maple syrup, butter, apple wood smoked bacon or Jimmy Dean sausage patties, ice cold milk.
Cruising, english muffins with fried egg and cheddar cheese, or sausage cheddar cheese, fruit, coffee.
We like to rough it !

Last edited:
Wifey B: It's "Anna's Sunday Breakfast." :D

Anna just turned 61 last month. Anna started working on her father's charter fishing boat when she was 13. She never thought of a profession other than becoming a fishing captain and ran her own boat for decades, then ran one with her husband before moving to yachts. She's run from 40' to 200'.

It was her custom on the fishing boats to have this Sunday Breakfast. She takes the largest frying pans she can find and goes crazy. She tosses in eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, and occasionally even hash browns. She also prepares gravy to over the biscuits she's baked. It is a glutton's paradise and encourages over indulgence to the point that few eat lunch. Except for the biscuits an easy one dish meal to pile on a plate or into a bowl, can even eat while watching for a strike.

Decidedly not a health conscious meal but a hearty fisherperson's delight and gives her so much pleasure in preparing it. :rofl:

Sort of the opposite of my land based breakfast today which was a very small amount of eggs and sausage and otherwise a lot of fruits and melons and berries. :)

The breakfasts I remember most fondly were at Two Harbors, Catalina on Sunday mornings. Omelet made any way you want, toast, coffee, bacon and maybe a bloody mary to hold it all together, or maybe two bloody marys!

David

OP summed it up pretty well, so I'll post this yet again just for illustration's sake:

jwZW1fBPAg2hUYE5Igy2XKw8-XcW2ue97zxnLOrii-pGSy8om0BIIAxHueHkJBMSPT_jOIXo0Om-KRQogpBuywgxtZt6m_WZpsVVL_cUjH6uabyxv_a79ScaL6-gdq0Dl7cbg7QgOh2VKWgznNuC3Aw6vqFtS7S8lNXz6iZ6pOvA-77lnJqgTLXJA2ltjzh7x6RnL9XyoG9y2nMNiUw9-aRDc3N03oiHM_vNfsBzfCopHfQ-J1WccQinqsC0lX9QcWApWDozw3pxYKukjJUvwzGOG9zKQ5uSIcaFDeK_bxkdFYQMksFpCCh0O52PxthNIQtSNgAvl51ypYHRnZapgGVY659d2xiSwvtiOFHUgDF68gBEhz4XulMKdhboXPeWeDsFfBl6o4Kmkk9x-PZsfNlgukIOO1Gy6L_PCY4p2S-D_bO_2QMWZ-kep7KZO4q8lyFlhsQe9QJP6f3twvetzH4hUPscLvS-bNHo56WknzZabK7it7zaSVJIG9aNx_WvX_lHeRD-mthgn5tSGI8zswb45pOr-5AyIZYQ_oua4RqjEpvjjCaBSdo8L78DhI25PZPNOcScZvUjuvouDwdxTOX5ihPje0PwHW_m97RsN68U2_V88GO8SHRO4MVd1hdQ2K4BEgCHEWPUx7lVDS4ilSLf4j0t-XSPY0vQTW5np6PmHQx3btmQt-sHfp17=w1000-h750-no

Thing is, since we moved back to land, I rarely eat breakfast at all.

Cassie's sticky buns, delivered in Meyer's Chuck, Alaska

Attachments

• Sticky Buns2.JPG
    Sticky Buns2.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Sticky Buns3.JPG
    Sticky Buns3.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 62
forgotten about corner in Alaska

Whether underway or on the hook, juice, perked coffee, eggs how we each like them, shrimp thrown in that we catch, plenty of bacon and toasted Irish soda bread with real butter and rasberry jam. And then coffee all morning. We go up from NJ to Alaska in late April and again in September for fly fishing and it is typically very cold in the morning, 45 degrees in the cabin when we roll out of our bags, so a solid breakfast fills the belly a hard and typically wet day of hiking and standing in a river where the water temp is 40 degrees!shrimp pot.jpg

Attachments

• tub of shrimp.jpg
    tub of shrimp.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 69
Greetings,
Mr. AP. Re: post #12, first picture...I don't think I could eat ANYTHING that was smiling at me.

Homemade breakfast burritos (eggs, hash browns, Green peppers, onions, pepper jack and salsa) w some fresh fruit. Plus a big mug o steaming coffee.

However I am on a bit of a diet so fresh fruit and coffee.

When we took the boat around the coast of WA to Seattle I did all the cooking. Breakfast usually consisted of bacon, eggs fixed scrambled or over easy and juice.

No complaints from my well fed crew.

Breakfasts at home are another story. Here's my Asparagus Quiche I made Saturday morning...
quiche.jpg

Our favorites are boiled eggs, sausage or bacon and probably the finest drink on earth...boat coffee. What are yours?

View attachment 107761

Firstly, Bob that galley is a work of art. I love it.

1985-metalcraft-custom-44-motor-yacht-image-25.jpg

In Sylphide's galley, breakfast almost always includes some hot french press coffee. On moving days breakfast is usually simpler. It might be a bagel with schmear, a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, or some sort of yogurt granola fruit concoction.

On big breakfast days, it usually centers around a couple of eggs in some form, Scrambled, over easy, omelets, etc... There's usually some toast as well, and I'm a big fan of avocado with breakfast. If I'm feeling extra unhealthy and really want to smell up the marina, I'll fry up some corned beef hash.

Louisiana Dark roast, and USMC SOS!

Come on then everyone, show us your galleys!

Omelletes. diced and sweat peppers and onions, along with diced meat of whatever left over from the previous nights dinner (pork loin, pork chops, steak, chicken).

OR

Pancakes

OR

French Toast

OR

Belgian Waffles

---------------------------

Homefries (left over oven roasted (grilled roasted) from the previous nights dinner, pan fried in a little olive oil.

OR

hashbrowns

---------------------------
bacon

Coffee/Tea

Mimosa or Bloody Mary.

If we are staying put, l cook breakfast like I’m home. The better question is what to cook when you are heading out early and want something substantial to start your day. I got 2 go-to solutions; the quickie and the mcmuffin.

The quickie is Bobs Red Mill instant oatmeal with fruit. Comes in individual cups. Open the cup, put in boiling water, stir, set for 3 minutes, add fruit. Delicious and filling.

Our own mcmuffin involves toasting an English muffin, microwaving an egg (sorry purists but it’s early), adding in sliced ham and cheddar cheese, then back in the microwave to melt the cheese a bit. Delicious.

Thank me later ;)
Pete

Like Bob Cofer, I get my daily dose of eggs, sausage and/or bacon. Two Yeti cups of java, one regular, one decaf. I'll 'hard boil' (7 mins in the Instant Pot) 10-12 eggs at a time for 5-6 days. I also precook a pound (0.45 kg for the rest of the world) of bacon and some sausage patties.

My breakfasts can be cooked or reheated without generator via my inverter so that makes the anchorage much quieter for my anchor buddies. I can grab what I want and reheat it in the microwave before moving or during the move...doesn't matter on my galley up/lower helm boat when single handing.

Sometimes I spice it up with different types of eggs and cheese and nice omelets. I try to avoid the carbs as much as feasible but fall prey to blueberry pancakes once in a while as a guilty pleasure.

Come to think of it, I fall prey to a lot of different guilty pleasures...all in moderation. That's the spice of life.

Best Breakfast

OOOH Yes! Coffee. Strong and black. My beloved Boodum french press makes an elixir I reserve only for our boat breakfasts. Cloudy and gnarly. Mornings when I can rise early are a spiritual experience. Sitting in the quiet watching the world come to life. My mug steaming away happily. If we are under way, it's best paired with a couple PBJ's. Then Life is truly good on the flybridge.

My other favorite boat breakfast is the next one I have aboard.

Back
Top Bottom