Anyone upgrade to Smart Plug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking to make the upgrade to Smart Plug. Anyone do it and run across any issues on a Camano 31? Do the receptacle holes line up with existing holes? What did you use to seal the holes and/or the receptacle, or is the gasket that comes with the receptacle enough?

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sma...and-30-amp-shore-power-inlet-kit-c30503-bm30s

Jamey

Wasn't a Camano but when I did mine it was basically plug-n-play. The instructions are very clear and it took about 20 minutes. The Smart plug kit comes with all the stuff you need.

If you want to save some $, just buy the connector and put it on your existing shore power cordset.

https://smartplug.com/marine/connectors/

You can get one at the vendor of your choice.

I did this to my cord. Again, the connector kit comes with all the stuff you need and very clear instructions. Takes a little longer to change the cord end than the inlet socket, but it is not difficult.

Going to SmartPlug was one of the best things I did to my boat.

I upgrades both of my 30 amp inlets. It is certainly worth it for peace of mind since a lot of boat fires start at the inlet. A previous boat of ours had a fire at the inlet that must have dies out for a lack of oxygen but there was charred wood at the top of the cabinet. I had the boat for a few months when I discovered it. The PO had replaced the wire from the inlet to the main breaker with 14 gauge wire. So that had to go also along with the 30 amp inlet which showed major signs of overheating. I feel much better with the massively larger contact area of the Smart Plug.

Changed out on a Nordic Tugs and it was simple. Did not require any caulk. Really happy with it.

Did it with my last boat and it was very straightforward, but read and follow the instructions carefully.

I would have done it immediately with this boat but I have a Glendinning so there's no advantage.

I changed the Marinco plug on our 2005 Camano to a 30 amp Smartplug. The holes lined up and the supplied gasket was all that was needed.

Did it and use same screw holes. Also just changed the end of existing cable, came in one kit.

Yes, it used the same screw holes. I also installed the female Smartplug onto the old Marinco cord. On my current boat I replaced the 50 amp outlets with 50 amp Smartplugs and installed the new female ends onto the old cord. They also used the existing screw holes. No drilling required.

When I changed mine, it was on the Survey as a recommendation, so the insurer required it to be done. They also reimbursed most of the cost.
Check with yours.

When I changed mine, it was on the Survey as a recommendation, so the insurer required it to be done. They also reimbursed most of the cost.
Check with yours.

They know the statistics on boat fires and are willing to help you save them a claim. Makes sense to me.

If you want to save some $, just buy the connector and put it on your existing shore power cordset.........Going to SmartPlug was one of the best things I did to my boat.
That's exactly what I did & I agree, one of thefts things I ever did to my boat!

BTW, All new Duffys come with a SmartPlug connection.

That's exactly what I did & I agree, one of thefts things I ever did to my boat!

Smart of Duffy. Did you steal one for your last boat???

Walt:

Are you going Motorhoming with your new Duffy? I know a MH park in Indio that has private docks and Duffy boats galore. You will love it, or do you already own a site there?

As do all new North Pacifics.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom