Free Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sealife

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea life
Vessel Make
Krogen 42 #61
Not mine!

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/d/newark-grand-banks-free/7194841643.html

Looks like it is a woody and sunk.

You could fix it and name it "Deep Pockets"

Wouldn’t take a lot of effort to rip out the engine and tanks. Turn it into a private artificial reef. Any idea what the enviro permit process costs for that?

That is not a 'Free Boat'. That is someone hoping you take a problem off of their hands for free. They are looking to invest labor, transportation and disposal fees to get rid of that boat. They are hoping you take it away from them for free.

Anything is possible to restore provided you have sufficient time, labor and money. The problem is, no matter what state of repair/restoration you get that boat, it will be worth half of what you have invested in it.

See Also: Theseus' Ship Paradox ;)

Plus, at the end of the day, it will still be a 40 year old wooden boat.

Wouldn’t take a lot of effort to rip out the engine and tanks. Turn it into a private artificial reef. Any idea what the enviro permit process costs for that?

If it's a woodie...not even going to get a permit mailed to you. They are poor reefs as the break apart and wash ashore.

That is not a 'Free Boat'. That is someone hoping you take a problem off of their hands for free. They are looking to invest labor, transportation and disposal fees to get rid of that boat. They are hoping you take it away from them for free.

Anything is possible to restore provided you have sufficient time, labor and money. The problem is, no matter what state of repair/restoration you get that boat, it will be worth half of what you have invested in it.

See Also: Theseus' Ship Paradox ;)

Plus, at the end of the day, it will still be a 40 year old wooden boat.

Agree......:iagree:

Only possibility is if a few key systems are salvageable, the motor parts are too and the rare bronze hardware is still there and intact...then maybe you might make a buck or two.

Interesing location for his radar. It is appears to be right at eye level a few feet in front of the upper helm.

State reef programs can't use wood boats. Fiberglass either with the exception of FL post IRMA. My old marina in the Chesapeake use to cut up woodies with a chain saw and drag them with a tractor to a burn pile.

There is also lot of high quality mahogany in the planks.

That's got to be of some value to a cabinet maker or someone else.

Chainsaw the stern at the aft cabin. I see the forward half as a Tiki bar parked up against the elevated veranda of my home. Thank God it is 800 miles away so that will never happen.

Sad but as a wise man told me: all boats have a last owner. I'm guessing the cost of disposal would exceed whatever you can salvage in hardware. Cost of restoring: well beyond what you can buy a nice GB woodie for.

About 4 years ago I saw a great looking wooden GB 36 for $12,000 asking with 2 recently rebuilt 120 Lehmans.

Heck, the engines were worth that easily if as advertised.

This one for free would have to come with a dumpster and permit.

For clarification...I didn’t suggest it would be a good deal for anyone :)

Kind of a “found boats” like on downeastboatforum.com
If it is entertaining, I could always post other some other finds, like a $299 ‘live aboard” or $3000 40’+ house boat with owner financing, tarps included.

Didn’t want to crap up the interesting boats thread though.

Last edited:
Hey...its more interesting to me than the interesting boat thread. Cruising the waterways and marinas I see those.

These puppies are as always good for entertainment.

For clarification...I didn’t suggest it would be a good deal for anyone :)

Kind of a “found boats” like on downeastboatforum.com
If it is entertaining, I could always post other some other finds, like a $299 ‘live aboard” or $3000 40’+ house boat with owner financing, tarps included.

Didn’t want to crap up the interesting boats thread though.

Yes! Post more!

It'll be a sort of a virtual stroll through the back lot of a boatyard, where they keep all those once-proud, decaying, abandoned relics. Those are among my favorite places to explore.

Interesing location for his radar. It is appears to be right at eye level a few feet in front of the upper helm.

You must be referring to the 'Forward' radar (Open Array) as opposed to the "Aft" radar (Dome) on the fold-down mast. Kind of reminds me of the 70's with the working tv set sitting on the broken console TV set. LMFAO!!!!

There is also lot of high quality mahogany in the planks.

That's got to be of some value to a cabinet maker or someone else.

There absolutely is, but the cost in labor to salvage the planks would be greater than the cost of the usable board feet yielded. There is a difference between Demo and Salvage. The latter is done painstakingly to prevent breaking things.

This is like collecting discarded cans for the .05 deposit. Even if you collected 500 cans in 8 hours, you still only made $25.

Chainsaw the stern at the aft cabin. I see the forward half as a Tiki bar parked up against the elevated veranda of my home. Thank God it is 800 miles away so that will never happen.

I will take the Stern for my bar then !

No really I am looking for an old teak stern to make into a bar!

You must be referring to the 'Forward' radar (Open Array) as opposed to the "Aft" radar (Dome) on the fold-down mast. Kind of reminds me of the 70's with the working tv set sitting on the broken console TV set. LMFAO!!!!

This was the setup on my woodie GB42 for the only radar aboard. I placed the display at the lower station which is where you needed to be when piloting in reduced viz because the controls for the fog horn, lights, windshield wipers, etc were located. So nobody was topside when the radar was in use. Since the mast was lowered every time we returned to covered home slip, it was essential that the mast was as light as possible pus who wants to work the multi-part radar cable continually being bent back and forth?

Attachments

• DSC04343.jpg
    DSC04343.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 73
Some of those fittings, like the hawse holes, anchor hawsepipes, cleats and any medallions or footpads with the "Grand Banks" name are in demand by GB restorers. There's probably some nice teak and mahogany in there, too. Engines? Mebbe, mebbe not.

Otherwise, it's dump material.

Ocean Alexander

A guy recently crashed into a seawall with a about-50-feet OceanAlexander, then pulled back out a bit and it sank. He had no insurance and it took some salvage guys days to get it towed away by hooking it to the side of a barge. Lake St. Clair is very shallow and they lost it a couple times. The salvage bill, responsibility of the owner, was the issue. Have no idea how that worked out. It was a scene, a sight to behold, watching that barge go down the lake with only the cabin of that boat sticking up out of the water. Nope, leave that GB alone!

Gosh there are a lot of negative nancies in here!

I got my trawler for free, a clipper 34 and very similar to the GB36. Twin Lehmans etc etc.

Yes it was a lot of work. But after a couple of years we have a completely new hull, rebuilt engines, and everything else more or less sorted.

I learned more in that project than I could ever learn from reading books and watching you tube. The project had its moments, still does. But has brought a helluva lot of satisfaction.

If I had the chance again I'd give it a crack with a 42. And Im far better set up now. Too bad I live on a different continent otherwise I would. These beautiful boats should be preserved and in the right circumstances why not?

Whenever I see an old boat in this condition, I think of how the first owner must have felt the first time he brought her home.

Gosh there are a lot of negative nancies in here!

I got my trawler for free, a clipper 34 and very similar to the GB36. Twin Lehmans etc etc.

Yes it was a lot of work. But after a couple of years we have a completely new hull, rebuilt engines, and everything else more or less sorted.

I learned more in that project than I could ever learn from reading books and watching you tube. The project had its moments, still does. But has brought a helluva lot of satisfaction.

If I had the chance again I'd give it a crack with a 42. And Im far better set up now. Too bad I live on a different continent otherwise I would. These beautiful boats should be preserved and in the right circumstances why not?

Maybe in Austrailia...heck look at one of the longest running threads on TF about a rebuilt boat, took something like 8 years...what dedication! I won't give away the ending so I am not a negative Nancy.

But over in the US, for every restored boat, there are hundred if not thousands sitting half done with little or no hope someone will finish them. Cant say the only reason, as I am sure there are many reasons they wont be finished. Everything from impatience to use it, money, energy.............

Whenever I see an old boat in this condition, I think of how the first owner must have felt the first time he brought her home.

Wow!!!! So do I!!!!

I sometimes wonder what happened for the last owner, that let the condition slide. Sometimes things just fall out of favor, or the money runs out, or people pass away. Shame to see a boat go to waste, but every derelict out there started as someone's brand new pride-and-joy.

The real cost of boats

The total loss of value reveals the real total cost of boat ownership. The free 40-foot boat new today probably costs about $600,000 nicely equipped. With a 40-year life, that comes to $15,000 per year. Then one has to add slip, consumables, insurance and repairs for another $15,000 if moderately used.
With $30,000 one can rent that boat for 40 days at $750/day and still come ahead by not having to worry about the damned thing.

Back
Top Bottom